Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Huron and Sumpter Townships

I'd thought I start this thread on these two particular townships. They have a few things in common: both are pretty much ignored [[other than that occasional talk about airport expansion or that ill-fated track), suburban sprawl has barely made it's way into either township, both still have a good number of active farms and both are in the same county as Detroit.

I've never been in Sumpter Township, but Huron Township, particularly around New Boston, is a pretty wonderful place, especially at this time of the year. There are even three metroparks that line the Huron River in this area. Getting there from my perch in [[sub)urban Wyandotte is somewhat of an adventure, even though it's only 15 miles away. Yes, I am aware that Downriver is a bit less developed from sprawl than the rest of the metro. Must be due to the airport.

Don't forget about Apple Charlie's Orchards - they may be one of the lesser-known orchards in the region, but it provides with a wonderful experience and their baked goods are especially good and they even have a window that allows you to peek into that machine that produces cider.

Apple Charlie's is a wonderland. We go there every year. I highly recommend it. Huron's school district is adequate at best but their HS football team is great. Though I don't reside there my father rests at Michigan Memorial. Most of my family grew up in Huron/Brownstown along King Road. I attended elementary school on Middlebelt... now that school is a Sikh temple! My parents are rolling over in their graves.

I-275 services the area well but one particular note is that Huron Township has no retail. A long drive to Woodhaven is necessary. And definetly the Airport noise. I'm surprised that the area north of Metro Airport isn't more developed becuase thee aren't as nearly as many flights there. But planes are a big problem, and they occasionally knock out our friend's TV reception.

The homes are wonderful. Every week I bike out there along the Downriver Greenways. I wish I could do it more but between work and having to cross Grosse Isle Bridge it's better to do it less often. Fox River Estates are quite nice homes. We visited a model. The builder keeps changing their name though, so I have some suspicions that some shifty money laundering is going on behind the scenes.

Overall, a great area.