Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Marathon Oil in southwest Detroit

Marathon is building a large office building near the intersection of Sanders and Dix. Sanders is also being great reshaped. There was fuss over the fact that
    Marathon got tax abatements when then invested $2.2 billion to modernize their refinery but add fewer than 150 new jobs. How many, if any, new jobs will be created in the city by this new office building? Did the city grant another tax reduction to Marathon for this building.
    Their plant refines oil sands from Alberta that get here by the existing Keystone pipeline. Can that plant refine other products since the oil sands are relatively costly? I don't think that Marathon refinery can receive oil by rail. Is that correct?

Quote Originally Posted by renf View Post
    Marathon is building a large office building near the intersection of Sanders and Dix. Sanders is also being great reshaped. There was fuss over the fact that
    Marathon got tax abatements when then invested $2.2 billion to modernize their refinery but add fewer than 150 new jobs. How many, if any, new jobs will be created in the city by this new office building? Did the city grant another tax reduction to Marathon for this building.
    Their plant refines oil sands from Alberta that get here by the existing Keystone pipeline. Can that plant refine other products since the oil sands are relatively costly? I don't think that Marathon refinery can receive oil by rail. Is that correct?
    Reading this will ruin my breakfast.

Quote Originally Posted by emu steve View Post
    Reading this will ruin my breakfast.
    I spoke to a gentleman from Dallas last weekend, he's been subcontracted to implement Hydrogen technologies to help aid in the extraction process of these "tar sands" at the Marathon refinery. This is the beginning of much larger scale extraction operation, that's where the money went. Sigh...

Do you know if this research about implementing hydrogen technologies to help in the
    extraction process is one of the activities that will take place in the major and very attractive
    office building that Marathon is now erecting in southwest Detroit?

Quote Originally Posted by renf View Post
    Do you know if this research about implementing hydrogen technologies to help in the
    extraction process is one of the activities that will take place in the major and very attractive
    office building that Marathon is now erecting in southwest Detroit?
    I found this little blurb on Aramco's [[Oil research giant) website regarding their 3 US research centers:

Detroit
    This center will focus on engine-fuel systems and development

http://www.aramcoservices.com/randd

I'd venture to say this future research center will be located in the aforementioned new building.

As for Hydrogen research taking place there? I'd venture to say probably, Aramco has 3 research centers nationwide, but one of those is ran in conjunction with MIT so up until Detroit came online Houston shouldered the whole American load for the company's oil research.
    Last edited by Dbest; October-25-15 at 11:32 AM.

Not the Aramco research center; it's in Novi.

It appears you are correct. I just saw they had the inauguration ceremony for the center in Novi yesterday.
    lhttp://www.saudiaramco.com/en/home/n...troit-AHN.html