Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default John's Grill Remains in the D

Last edited by Zacha341; October-18-15 at 07:59 PM.

Wow! I almost bought a house in that neighborhood last month but the deal fell through. I didn't know the area was seriously that rough. I knew 48204 was considered the worst neighborhood in the country in 2013 but I chalked it up to the typical "Detroit bashing." Everyone I talked to said i was crazy to buy over there. I'm beginning to think maybe it was a good thing that the deal fell through. I hope it's changing for the better.

Yes it's very, VERY rough there. I had a friend who left that area, selling her house for what she could get. Funny, I was to work in that area part-time once, which didn't happen due to scheduling. While going thru the orientation process the catalytic converter was stolen off a car high noon - on the lot I was parked - so I was like well great!
    Last edited by Zacha341; October-19-15 at 04:59 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    Yes it's very, VERY rough there. I had a friend who left that area, selling her house for what she could get. Funny, I was to work in that area part-time once, which didn't happen due to scheduling. While going thru the orientation process the catalytic converter was stolen off a car high noon - on the lot I was parked - so I was like well great!
    Same thing happened to me while visiting the Shrine of the Black Madonna bookstore in the daytime. Dr. Michael Eric Dyson was giving a book-signing/lecture.

Crimes have been committed within mere blocks of the 10th precinct HQ [[Livernois/Elmhurst) and the police response has been.... well, not johnny-on-the-spot.

Jerry’s Pizza & Ribs [[carry-out only, just south of Livernois/Elmhurst) is highly recommended.

The Royal Grill restaurant [[Livernois/Grand River) is fairly popular.

I graduated from Mackenzie in June '65. I only went there my senior year but every single day I walked home west on W. Chicago, so I traveled that block every day. This diner was not there yet, and I don't remember what was there.

I do remember the Greek bakery across the street that he refers to. I would stop by there every other day or so on my way home from school for bread, and eventually I ended up dating two of the young men who worked there.

We used to eat at Marra's, an Italian restaurant just down a couple of blocks from the Greek bakery. Another place to hang out for snacks was Puri-Test just on the other side of Wyoming.

I plan to stop by John's one of these days for breakfast.

The neighborhood got pretty rocky into the early 70s and my mom moved out then. I see some signs that our block has moderated, but I don't know anyone who still lives there.

Not sure why anyone would voluntarily try to move to the worst neighborhood in the USA knowing its been named the worst neighborhood in the USA. They base that designation off crime data. There is a 1 in 4 chance of getting robbed raped, assaulted or killed in that zip code. I expect its even higher than that. Ive been the victim of more than my share of violent crime in the city and i've never once bothered to get the police involved. Always figured it would take all day if they showed up at all and after being a crime victim that last thing i want to put myself thru is talking to the police. Thats nearly as bad as being a crime victim.

I will check this place out. I knew the neighborhood deteriorates fast once you cross Dexter, but I did not know it was that bad, especially with a police precinct in the middle of it all.

Quote Originally Posted by rex View Post
    Not sure why anyone would voluntarily try to move to the worst neighborhood in the USA knowing its been named the worst neighborhood in the USA. They base that designation off crime data. There is a 1 in 4 chance of getting robbed raped, assaulted or killed in that zip code. I expect its even higher than that. Ive been the victim of more than my share of violent crime in the city and i've never once bothered to get the police involved. Always figured it would take all day if they showed up at all and after being a crime victim that last thing i want to put myself thru is talking to the police. Thats nearly as bad as being a crime victim.

It's hard not to be stumped by your comment.

What can anyone say that would change your perception of the neighborhood. Statistics may be debatable per se, but at the end of the day, the sad facts remain; it is awful. I feel sorry for the people who live there but also for the police and anyone having to deal with the sadness of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyles View Post
    Same thing happened to me while visiting the Shrine of the Black Madonna bookstore in the daytime. Dr. Michael Eric Dyson was giving a book-signing/lecture.

Crimes have been committed within mere blocks of the 10th precinct HQ [[Livernois/Elmhurst) and the police response has been.... well, not johnny-on-the-spot.

Jerry’s Pizza & Ribs [[carry-out only, just south of Livernois/Elmhurst) is highly recommended.

The Royal Grill restaurant [[Livernois/Grand River) is fairly popular.
    Is there anything you would especially recommend at Jerry's? I haven't been there, but both pizza and ribs interest me.