Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Light on Livernois .. the little things that count

So I was driving down Livernois last night and notice how well lit the street was.
    The city has done a great job lighting up Livernois and it makes a BIG difference !

It looked and felt safer.

I could see people actually wanting to hangout, shop and eat after dark on Livernois now.

A lot of little changes can make a big difference .

I love the way they dug up that median a second time....but I digress.

I think the Livernois corridor has a lot of potential. In regards to the median, I wish they would've narrowed the street by expanding sidewalk space rather than creating a boulevard. It's really a waste of space.

The new lights are great here, and where ever they've been installed. More lighting is good. Great news for sure. The median was always a silly idea.
    Last edited by Zacha341; October-18-15 at 09:20 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by paulj313 View Post
    I think the Livernois corridor has a lot of potential. In regards to the median, I wish they would've narrowed the street by expanding sidewalk space rather than creating a boulevard. It's really a waste of space.
    There really isn't any need to expand the sidewalks. I would say that maybe they should have considered implementing angle parking, with the sidewalks extending out at the corners to protect the parking and make it easier to cross the street. Maybe if a particular establishment wanted an extended sidewalk so that they could have outdoor seating or something that would make sense.

Quote Originally Posted by mwilbert View Post
    There really isn't any need to expand the sidewalks. I would say that maybe they should have considered implementing angle parking, with the sidewalks extending out at the corners to protect the parking and make it easier to cross the street. Maybe if a particular establishment wanted an extended sidewalk so that they could have outdoor seating or something that would make sense.
    Sidewalk expansion is usually much more expensive, as moving streetlight power lines is much more difficult than pouring concrete.

Thanks to the Grand Bargaining Agreement between those [[Romans) in Michigan Legislature and the Detroit City Council. Millions of dollars [[ part of the of the 20 billion dollar state grant and debt forgiveness) was put in to new L.E.D. street lighting on every last ghetto hood in Detroit. So far about 72% of new street lighting was installed in Detroit's main streets and ghetto hoods. These new L.E.D. lighting will be stage three tamper proof; wired high in case those crazy folk cause some car accident that ran into the lighting pole high wires will automatically cut off from the its transformers if the incident happen. But it will not cause all lighting to go out like the old 1890 Christmas lighting direct circuit system. Most of it will be solar powered. So if you want to find transformer under the pole, or cut it from above to knock all the lights out, you can't you have to take out entire street pole one by one. It's a neat trick to keep Detroit's ghetto hoods lit up for the night the stop the robberies and murders.

certain stretches of the Liv are still largely in the dark once the sun goes down. Hopefully the Lighting Authority won't run out of money.

Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    Thanks to the Grand Bargaining Agreement between those [[Romans) in Michigan Legislature and the Detroit City Council. Millions of dollars [[ part of the of the 20 billion dollar state grant and debt forgiveness) was put in to new L.E.D. street lighting on every last ghetto hood in Detroit. So far about 72% of new street lighting was installed in Detroit's main streets and ghetto hoods. These new L.E.D. lighting will be stage three tamper proof; wired high in case those crazy folk cause some car accident that ran into the lighting pole high wires will automatically cut off from the its transformers if the incident happen. But it will not cause all lighting to go out like the old 1890 Christmas lighting direct circuit system. Most of it will be solar powered. So if you want to find transformer under the pole, or cut it from above to knock all the lights out, you can't you have to take out entire street pole one by one. It's a neat trick to keep Detroit's ghetto hoods lit up for the night the stop the robberies and murders.
    Is that why the new lights are connected by cables suspended in the air? I thought it was done because the infrastructure buried in the ground was so rotted out, it was most economical to simply run cable from the DTE power lines and not dig up the ground.

Took the Grandriver bus home today and noticed the new lights – and poles going up there as well. On Greenfield [[Joy/Chicago) the new lights are up and running.
    I also see telephone pole crews on many of the roads I take to and from home. The telephone pole crews seem to have a more daunting task as I see many a pole leaning like the tower of pizza.
    I see many city services being performed around town.

I was up driving on Michigan Ave in Corktown this past weekend and also noticed how well lit up Michigan Ave was. Did anyone else notice ?

I drove Livernois from 8 Mile to Michigan Ave. last Sunday night around 9:30 and if there are street lights along this stretch, you could fool me. The entire ride was done in the dark. With the exception of traffic lights, there was nothing. It was one of the eeriest rides I've had in a long time, could have been out on a country road somewhere. I was so happy to turn onto Michigan and yes I did notice how well lit it was in Corktown.