Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Can Marijuana Stores pop up in the Suburbs?

Since so-called 'Green Cross' stores are popping up in Detroit ghetto-hoods, will marijuana stores plague the suburban areas? I can see the pot shops are a hop spot for crime and it could ruin the property and business values in the neighborhoods. Does Metro-Detroit suburban cities have rules and regulations to keep green cross pot shops in control or keep them out.

any thoughts?

Here's a story from July: Police bust Shelby Township medical marijuana dispensary, arrest at least four
    "Just a heads up...This place got raided today," says the latest review posted Friday. "Gotta go back to the D now for meds. I'm gonna miss this location."
    I happened to visit that place a couple years ago. At that time they were selling normal medical supplies like wheelchairs, walkers, etc. It didn't seem to have anything to do with marijuana.

Things change.

"...Shelby Township passed a moratorium in February banning dispensaries, pending the creation of state law or other guidelines..."

From the same article

Per a recent freep article dispensaries maps and directories show the where of it all:

"...directories like WeedMaps and Leafly show few listings in suburban communities"

Some suburbs have the 'delivery option' which helps the whole commerce it to a more discreet level.

When I visited the vacation/retirement town of Eagle Harbor, Michigan last summer
    there was a "green cross" placard in the window of one small building. I checked
    WeedMaps - nothing there - it could easily have been a gag or inside joke.
    There are two dispensaries in Houghton, though, and then there is this:

http://www.thismichigan.com/view/311...ijuana_t_shirt

So far as I know this could also be someone's joke.

Anyways if property values are low in some area and it also has "counterculture" tourists
    one might expect to see more pot shops in that area.

At first I thought this was a thread for whenever marijuana outlets could begin popping up in the suburbs after a referendum was passed-stemming from the fact that I've seen commercials for "yes on 3" out of Ohio from watching WNWO out of Toledo as well as WEWS Cleveland when conditions were right.

Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    I can see the pot shops are a hop spot for crime and it could ruin the property and business values in the neighborhoods.
    We have dispensaries all over Vancouver. Business values have gone UP because of them. Every fall, seasonal businesses open up temporary shops that sell Halloween stuff. This year they can hardly find any places to rent because dispensaries have opened up everywhere, jacking up all the prices.

Don't worry.

Recently visited two Colorado dispenseries...what a very pleasant experience ! We're pretty much smoking white lightning garbage here. Was quite nice to get a hold of some smoke that was properly grown and cured. The cops were in the store when I purchased yucking it up with the owner. Even stayed at a couple 420 friendly hotels. It's a new dawn people...and it's about frickin' time !

Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    Since so-called 'Green Cross' stores are popping up in Detroit ghetto-hoods, will marijuana stores plague the suburban areas? I can see the pot shops are a hop spot for crime and it could ruin the property and business values in the neighborhoods. Does Metro-Detroit suburban cities have rules and regulations to keep green cross pot shops in control or keep them out.

any thoughts?

Yeah, I think you are the product of intense social programming that steers poor logic leading to over-emotional responses to simple stimuli. It all began with the propaganda film Reefer Madness.

So, you're suffering from a distinct malady...a sickness...an imbalance.

This causes you to continue to consider one of God's best creations as evil, allowing you to miss all of the wonderful uses of this herb.

I really feel sorry for all of y'all who remain stuck within the old paradigm. It is quite pathetic, actually.

Sincerely,
    John

^^^ Hah! I guess you got him checked. I've never seen Reefer Madness. Still and all, I'd be concerned about anything that might rob me of my remaining 'ambition' according to Sam! See 0:40 of Jackie Brown, short video clip......!
    Last edited by Zacha341; October-18-15 at 10:59 AM.

Yeah, they are opting out of falling into the same hole Detroit has [[sorting out the regulation, uh, after-the-fact), especially with our high saturation. The outcome of which has yet to be fully revealed.

Quote Originally Posted by SDCC View Post
    "...Shelby Township passed a moratorium in February banning dispensaries, pending the creation of state law or other guidelines..."

From the same article
    Last edited by Zacha341; October-18-15 at 09:26 AM.

Default Tell Your Children

For your viewing pleasure; looks like the complete movie, 720 no less.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=esfKfTBGadg

Please note, the films subject matter deals with "a violent narcotic, an unspeakable scourge, this is the real public enemy number 1”.

Parents please remove children prior to viewing.

Quote Originally Posted by SDCC View Post
    For your viewing pleasure; looks like the complete movie, 720 no less.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=esfKfTBGadg

Please note, the films subject matter deals with "a violent narcotic, an unspeakable scourge, this is the real public enemy number 1”.

Parents please remove children prior to viewing.

In honor of Rod Smith RIP, a teacher I had in college who taught a class I took entitled; "Drugs and Literature" at John Abbott College in a western suburb of Montreal.

He was originally from Windsor, Ontario. I remember sitting in a big circle at a campus in Kirkland circa 1978, that had the Fine Arts dept share quarters with the Police Tech dept. Not sure who got higher between the two. We read Ken Kesey, Castaneda novels and got to see the magical "Reefer Madness". He got fired from the school in the early nineties and in the following video, he sells the contents of his house because he is being evicted on account of his Oriental inspired Tyree Guyton styled garden...

Rod was a bit of a character and built a quirky garden around his house that stirred some controversy. Here is a video I found about the sale of his house contents and him talking about his garden. He starts talking about the concept of his garden at the 26th minute. Kind of sad. R.I.P. Rod.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=csiQrcbrYwo

It`s everything online. already many businesses use online shops and platforms. If someone needs smth he will order like this https://www.marijuanabreak.com/dispensaries/eaze

^^^ Grand that this is moving to the suburban and online purchase option, replete with reviews, and competition.

Beats the shop-on-every corner scene Detroit experienced a few years back.

Before the ordinances kicked in.
    Last edited by Zacha341; February-25-19 at 08:24 AM.

One of the justifications for legalizing pot sales was that it would eliminate drug-related crime. A quick Google search:

Detroit and suburban liquor stores get robbed all the time, so there's no reason to to think pot dispensaries in the 'burbs would be immune. Unlike liquor stores, however, pot dispensaries in the 'burbs will be under the microscope.

It’s a all cash business and still a dangerous game.

Once the feds approve it the likes of Amazon with free shipping and same day delivery it will curb the storefronts,really it is in their best interest for the feds not to approve it.

**Sniffles** Comment #9 is one of Gannon's last... I miss him so......

^ it threw me off because I did not read the date stamp on the thread.

Outside of a few phone conversations,I did not get the chance to meet him but he did seem to be one of the good guys and it is a shame.

8 and hickory new shop opened . First one i have seen open to public only ID required. Green Vet

Quote Originally Posted by black gold man View Post
    8 and hickory new shop opened . First one i have seen open to public only ID required. Green Vet
    That's still only a medical dispensary... how can it be open to the public if you need your medical card.

"Stores can't sell recreational weed for at least another year, NPR-affiliated Michigan Radio reported."

As per Political and Law Enforcement personae that still persists to this day.
    A lot of back slapping and high five's.
    Like the drug forfeitures that are used for snowmobiles, hangliders, office parties, and retirement parties to this day, whether you are convicted or not.
    Last edited by Bigb23; February-23-19 at 08:59 PM.

They gift the green you donate. ID that you are 21

I think that any smart community that shares a border with a city that illegalizes the stores should place those stores right on the border line. Livonia, you don't want it? Redford Twp., Westland, Farmington, Southfield will have stores on your border, getting your citizens to fatten their coffers.

^^^ Just wonderful! But they cannot put them near schools, even in Detroit. I saw a news flash today that some of the burbs are saying no. Their prerogative as I see it.

Not like you have to drive far to find a compliant city.

We already had our mania a few years back; nearly every corner -- before the ordinances kicked in.

Similar ordinances that are in place for the liquor stores.
    Last edited by Zacha341; February-26-19 at 01:31 PM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast