Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Snakes On A Riverwalk

Riding my bike on the riverwalk the other day and saw this guy. He was causing quite a fright amongst the secretaries out for their lunch time stroll. He was pretty stressed with all the people and some birds following him looking for a tasty treat. I grabbed a bucket from the food stand and coaxed him in. Let him loose at Milliken State Park wetlands which is probably where he came from. He seemed much relieved as he slithered into the fauna.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

I can't quite tell from the photo but I hope it wasn't a Massasauga!

A couple of years back a small snake visited my workplace on the Detroit River.
    It hung around for a few days, visiting inside, visiting out, then someone ran it
    over, killing it instantly. After that I took it to the Detroit Zoo [[Amphibiville?
    Can't remember now). There it was pronounced to be a Northern Water Snake
    [[Nerodia Sipedon). [[not a River Snake - my confusion here).
    With vivid patches, it was nearly identical to a Massasauga with maybe one baby
    rattle on its tail.
    Last edited by Dumpling; October-11-15 at 02:59 PM. Reason: error!

Quick! Fly in Samuel Jackson!

Quote Originally Posted by Dumpling View Post
    A couple of years back a small snake visited my workplace on the Detroit River.
    It hung around for a few days, visiting inside, visiting out, then someone ran it
    over, killing it instantly. After that I took it to the Detroit Zoo [[Amphibiville?
    Can't remember now). There it was pronounced to be a River Snake [[Nerodia Sipedon).
    With vivid patches, it was nearly identical to a Massasauga with maybe one baby rattle
    on its tail.

http://www.fcps.edu/islandcreekes/ec...ater_snake.htm

Quote Originally Posted by Downriviera View Post
    Riding my bike on the riverwalk the other day and saw this guy. He was causing quite a fright amongst the secretaries out for their lunch time stroll. He was pretty stressed with all the people and some birds following him looking for a tasty treat. I grabbed a bucket from the food stand and coaxed him in. Let him loose at Milliken State Park wetlands which is probably where he came from. He seemed much relieved as he slithered into the fauna.
    Nice job......

He's a Lake Erie Watersnake. At first I tried to pick him up but he started to bite at me so I backed off.

http://www.fws.gov/midwest/endangere.../le-facts.html

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    Nice job......

Looks like someone just started a game of "live" Snakes and Ladders.

Quote Originally Posted by canuck View Post
    Looks like someone just started a game of "live" Snakes and Ladders.
    I can't seem to get that song out of my head, "Snakes on the water, and gettin' really high......"

I highly recommend getting a hold of the paperback "Animals Nobody Loves" by Ronald Rood. Aside from bats [[and other Halloween creepies), I'm sure snakes are highlighted in there.

I see them all the time swimming in the waters around Belle Isle.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeM View Post
    I see them all the time swimming in the waters around Belle Isle.
    Around the canoe ponds and the lagoon?

East end of the island. Water intake bypass and DYC area.

Brain eating amoebas didn't do it, but Snakes in the water as well? That about eliminates ever going into any water ever again unless it's a pool.

A friend of mine found this on his boat this morning, in Grosse Pointe:

Name:  FullSizeRender.jpg
Views: 1299
Size:  149.2 KB

As long as they're non-venomous I think they're cool!

Quote Originally Posted by MikeM View Post
    A friend of mine found this on his boat this morning, in Grosse Pointe:

Name:  FullSizeRender.jpg
Views: 1299
Size:  149.2 KB

That's AWFUL! That Teak is all sunbleached. It'll need to be sanded and redone.

I like that the poor lost snake was harmlessly redirected.

The eastern fox snake [[pantherophis gloydi) is on Belle Isle and is considered threatened and protected by state law. They coil and vibrate their tail but are non-venomous and harmless to humans.

Belle Isle used to be known as snake island until the powers that be introduced piggies to eat the snakes.

What did they introduce to eat the piggies?

Deer. lol.

Red-tail hawks will eat them. I'd like to see more of those.