Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Red Wings Opening Game Win had a Special Detroit Twist

Most of us grew up with hockey being a Canadian game with Canadian players. Not a big deal for us as we are in an international American-Canadian city and an original six team. Most of our beloved heroes and coaches were and still are Canadians like Gordie, Stevie and Mike Babcock.

Last night's season opener had an American side twist. A 19 year old from Waterford dazzled the crowd with an assist then a goal in his first NHL game while a new coach born in Detroit led the team to a 4-0 win over the Maple Leafs coached by who? Mike Babcock. Congrats to Dylan Larkin and Jeff Blashill. You even overshadowed Justin Abdelkader's hat trick.

I couldn't imagine growing up watching Henrik Zetterberg only to, at the age of 19, have him pass me the puck in my first NHL game so that I could score.

It must have been very surreal.

Larkin looked great last night... I think Abdelkader has him beat in terms of fulfilling his childhood dreams... imagine this:

Born in michigan, gets to go play hockey at his dream college Michigan State

Plays in the national championship game and scores the game winning goal with less than a minute left and wins a national title for his spartans in 2007. The VERY NEXT YEAR, goes on to play hockey with his home-state Detroit Redwings and gets to win a Stanley Cup in 2008. All at the tender age of 21.

COME ON!

Wings future looks great!

That was an awesome game on so many levels! Love the professionalism of the team and Blash already seems like a regular. Even sounds like Babs in interviews.