Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Keywell Building in Detroit...

Does anyone know if there is or was a building called the Keywell Building in Detroit? If so, who built or owned it, is it still around and where is it located? Thanks for any help you can provide.

Quote Originally Posted by mortalman View Post
    Does anyone know if there is or was a building called the Keywell Building in Detroit? If so, who built or owned it, is it still around and where is it located? Thanks for any help you can provide.
    I had a minute and in that time these were the most interesting google results I found. You must have found them already, but for the benefit of everyone else, this is sort of amusing:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harry_Keywell

Harry Keywell
    , [[December 8, 1910 - August 30, 1997), was a convicted member of Detroit's infamous Purple Gang, which terrorized the city of Detroit during Prohibition. Chicago Police questioned him about the infamous St. Valentine's Day Massacre in February 1929, on the suspicion that Keywell acted as a lookout for the killers, however Harry had a cast-iron alibi for the day.

After his arrest for involvement in the Collingwood Manor Massacre on September 16, 1931, Keywell was sentenced to life in prison at Marquette, Michigan and was eventually paroled at the age of 54 on October 21, 1965. He had a spotless prison record for 34 years before his life sentence was commuted.[1] Because of the involvement of his brother, Phil Keywell, he was released early for good behavior.

Harry married Sarah Keywell [[nee Gold), and lived out his days as a productive member of society and family man, until his death of Alzheimer's disease in August 1997.
    And heh, go figure: There's a Keywell Corporation in Detroit in the waste management business:

http://detroit.cylex-usa.com/company...n-8610171.html

I'd be interested in hearing more about the Purple Gang.

Sorry to take this off topic.
    Last edited by bust; October-09-15 at 06:55 PM.

On the contrary bust. You are not taking it off topic at all. As a matter of fact you are right on topic without knowing it. I asked, "Does anyone know if there is or was a building called the Keywell Building in Detroit? If so, who built or owned it, is it still around and where is it located? Thanks for any help you can provide." specifically because of Philip Keywell who was a member of the juvenile Purple Gang along with his brother, Harry. He was considered "a very dangerous gunman."

So, to try to draw the strings together on my thoughts it seems to me that there was/is a building in Detroit called the Keywell Building in Detroit. If it can be located I was wondering if it had any connections to the Purple Gang member[[s) with the surname "Keywell"?

The Purple Gang is woven into the fabric of the history of Detroit. I have some close connections with and "war stories" about the Purple Gang's exploits and anecdotal stories that you won't find in any books about them and/or Detroit.

Photo credited to Images of America: DETROIT'S INFAMOUS PURPLE GANG by Paul R. Kavieff
    Name:  Philip Keywell.jpg
Views: 2587
Size:  47.6 KB
    Last edited by mortalman; October-09-15 at 10:35 PM.

There was another well-known Keywell who was in the building business in Detroit, Henry C. Keywell. He was mostly involved in residential real estate and built several apartment buildings on the west side. Eventually he moved into larger commercial projects, including buying the Metropolitan Building, and the Barlum Hotel [[now the Cadillac Sq. Apartments), renaming it after himself and his wife, Rose, as the Henrose Hotel. He died in 1971.

I can't find any evidence that he ever named a building after himself, but it's quite possible that he did. I also have no idea what his relationship may or may not have been with Harry Keywell of the Purple Gang, or for that matter with living Detroit-area native Brad Keywell of Groupon fame.

http://detroit1701.org/Cadillac%20Sq...l#.VhiT4yvQPf0

https://books.google.com/books?id=VF...etroit&f=false
    Last edited by EastsideAl; October-09-15 at 11:30 PM.

There was a diesel fuel leak/environmental case at this building in 1992, don't know if the building had a name, but the company was named Keywell:

Samuel G Keywell Co

3075 Lonyo St, Detroit, MI 48209

http://www.homefacts.com/environment...i00011471.html

More on this business, founded in 1924:

Keywell was founded by Samuel G. and Barney L. Keywell in 1924 in Detroit, Michigan. Recognizing an opportunity in the booming post-World War II stainless steel recycling business, Keywell transformed itself into a specialized recycling company focused on Aerospace Metals and Specialty Steels. Keywell has consistently sought to expand its footprint and processing capabilities through organic growth and strategic acquisitions. Keywell is employee owned and managed by a Board Of Directors comprised of seasoned industry professionals. Currently operating ten processing facilities, Keywell is building on a strong tradition of leadership in the Aerospace Metals and Specialty Steel Recycling Industry.

http://www.environmental-expert.com/...well-llc-38699
    Last edited by gazhekwe; October-10-15 at 11:51 AM.

I think I have the name "Keywell Building" mixed up with the "Farwell Building". Me thinks it might have been a "senior moment"!

Name:  Farwell_Building_Interior_2009 - Copy.jpg
Views: 2116
Size:  85.7 KB

Photo by Albert Duce

I am constantly amazed at the intelligence and research abilities of the people on DetroitYes. I have lived in a lot of other locations around the world in my career and have been involved in other similar type urban, informational type of websites but none of them compares to the DetroitYes site. I don't know what it is but no matter how obscure the information or topic brought to this discussion group members rally and come to some sort of logical conclusions about the most difficult topics related to Detroit. I am proud to be a small part of this community because that's what it is a community! Thank you all.
    Last edited by mortalman; October-10-15 at 10:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mortalman View Post
    I think I have the name "Keywell Building" mixed up with the "Farwell Building". Me thinks it might have been a "senior moment"!

Name:  Farwell_Building_Interior_2009 - Copy.jpg
Views: 2116
Size:  85.7 KB

Photo by Albert Duce

I am constantly amazed at the intelligence and research abilities of the people on DetroitYes. I have lived in a lot of other locations around the world in my career and have been involved in other similar type urban, informational type of websites but none of them compares to the DetroitYes site. I don't know what it is but no matter how obscure the information or topic brought to this discussion group members rally and come to some sort of logical conclusions about the most difficult topics related to Detroit. I am proud to be a small part of this community because that's what it is a community! Thank you all.
    Very well put! It truly is a treasure trove of information on Detroit metro that will be studied by historians into the future. The guiding hands of Lowell and his son are not foreign to that success by the way.

Thank you for the photo of Philip. I'm finishing a project related to the Keywells of Detroit for a client. Samuel & Barney were the uncles of Harry & Philip.

The Keywells father owned a scrap metal business on24th st. and Barney Keywell was a distant relative of Phil and Harry

George Keywell, Phil and Harrys younger brother became a judge , changed his last name to Kent and presided over a Detroit courtroom.

Designed by Bonnah & Chaffee. Farwell Building 1249 – 1259 Griswold built in 1915 Capitol Park Historic District Detroit, MI. Includes an image of the building from the Burton Historical Collection circa 1915.
    Attached Images Attached Images