Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Detroit Restaurants

What area is the best for local restaurants coming into the Detroit market and why? Which area is busiest on a daily basis? Assume lunch and dinner foods with weekend brunch and liquor license. I know this is a loaded question but I would like to know why people choose Midtown or Downtown or Eastern Market or Cork-town, etc. Based on my experiences, I assume CBD would win for a new business but I typically go downtown for games and weekend activities.

1) It's Corktown, not Cork-town. It's a real neighborhood name.

2) I think it just depends. Saturdays are going to be busy for Eastern Market eateries. Game days/nights for any of the 3 teams are going to be busy for Downtown and Corktown, Weekends are generally busy all over.

and 3) about your first question, that's probably happening more in Midtown. Hop Cat, Jolly Pumpkin, La Feria, and even Whole Foods are all new additions to the Midtown scene. Though all have scene newbies open up.

I agree with the Eater Detroit site recommendation. It does a really good job of covering all the restaurant openings and news.

I also agree that Midtown is probably the most popular spot. Other recent openings in Midtown are Selden Standard, Chartreuse Kitchen & Cocktails and Cafe 78 with The Peterboro and Rock City Eatery on the way.

Cheapest beer/liquor for the win!