Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Woodward Avenue "Great American Road" Complete Street

This is an exciting development. I can only hope that some of this becomes reality along the corridor. Even if we can only get complete streets within the dense "town center" areas of Woodward it would be huge!

http://detroit.curbed.com/archives/2...an-roadway.php

Yes. YES. YEEESSSSS. Everything. Can you imagine a 26 mile long Champs-Elysees? Perhaps leave the "parkway-ness" in Bloomfield Hills alone, but the more urban area between downtown and Birmingham are ripe for this kind of development.

With all of the density that this model would attract, I can definitely see the cost-benefit arriving at Light Rail Transit from Pontiac to Detroit.

Some interesting ideas there. Especially narrowing Woodward in Highland Park and building infill retail between the street and the existing strip malls. That would be a night and day difference. Of course, we'd need demand, and money to execute, but it's a nice idea.

Love the idea. Failed to see [[maybe I just didn't notice it) who the hell would pay for all of that.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeg19 View Post
    Love the idea. Failed to see [[maybe I just didn't notice it) who the hell would pay for all of that.
    More diversion of school funds?

Since this was visioned as of part the implementation of bus rapid transit along Woodward I would imagine some combination of the RTA and MDOT.

Quote Originally Posted by MSUguy View Post
    Since this was visioned as of part the implementation of bus rapid transit along Woodward I would imagine some combination of the RTA and MDOT.
    The same MDOT that has no money to fix potholes or the Rouge River bridge that is literally falling apart before our eyes or any other number of dire road conditions there is no money for?

The same MDOT that has no money to fix potholes or the Rouge River bridge that is literally falling apart before our eyes or any other number of dire road conditions there is no money for?
    As the BRT project would eligible for federal funding if the millage passes I wouldn't think they be pulling it from their existing funding.

Not sure how useful this is north of 6 mile outside a few points like Ferndale and Birmingham, where they are desperately needed. Other than that, there is no pedestrian traffic.

However, complete "european style" streets definitely should be the model in the center of Detroit, and all of Woodward along the M1-Rail.

Also, I do think buses need to be the central fixture of Detroit's new transportation system. The routes must be re-routed, the buses must come more frequent, the stops spread further apart, and the stops themselves need to have new shelters and if possible displays that list when the next bus will come.

Rail will also be important, but more for transporting people across the entire city or into the suburbs. The M1 rail is nice and will attract development, but isn't particularly useful in terms of transporting people.

Quote Originally Posted by casscorridor View Post
    Also, I do think buses need to be the central fixture of Detroit's new transportation system. The routes must be re-routed, the buses must come more frequent, the stops spread further apart, and the stops themselves need to have new shelters and if possible displays that list when the next bus will come.
    For a start, we did just get longer buses...

Quote Originally Posted by mtburb View Post
    For a start, we did just get longer buses...
    Good for the one or two crowded routes, but does nothing for the other routes if they still come as infrequent. Detroit needs more buses running the street period. The city MUST turn the stigma against buses around. Part of that is running them more frequently, and part of that is introducing rail links when infrastructure money becomes available.

Quote Originally Posted by casscorridor View Post
    Good for the one or two crowded routes, but does nothing for the other routes if they still come as infrequent. Detroit needs more buses running the street period. The city MUST turn the stigma against buses around. Part of that is running them more frequently, and part of that is introducing rail links when infrastructure money becomes available.
    I happened to be in town for the last big WA3 meeting- lots of those questions answered by the panel. I suggest the next step would be to go to their webpage and ask those questions of some of the panelists.
    I think if Woodward Ave. could 'come alive' again, there would be growth for other projects as well as businesses investing.
    Name:  B18A0105.jpg
Views: 319
Size:  46.2 KB
    The event was well attended with a tour of the Administration Building at the old Highland Park plant, which the association has purchased- one step in the process.
    Name:  IMG_9755-sm-hdr.jpg
Views: 350
Size:  120.6 KB