Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Delta to Add New Non-Stop DTW Flight to Munich?

In aviation business news, beginning this summer it appears Delta will add a new European destination from Metro Airport in Munich, Germany.
    While I am not aware of any formal announcement, during a search on the Delta website for the summer 2016 months, I stumbled across a bookable nonstop flight between DTW and Munich that appears to be almost daily. It sure would be nice to have a direct flight for traveling to and from Bavaria, and would be another feather in the cap for DTW's international air service if true.

As a US Service Member stationed 1.5 hours from Munich I would welcome this easy access to home!

http://www.businesstraveller.com/new...inneapolis-rom

Delta will launch new routes from Detroit to Munich and from Minneapolis to Rome next summer.The US carrier will operate a B767-400ER aircraft on the six-times weekly Detroit-Munich service and a B767-300ER on the daily Minneapolis-Rome route.
    Both services commence on May 26, reports airlineroute.net.

DetroitBoy Guest

Delta's ancient fleet is awful to fly. They need to stop buying airlines and update that shitty fleet. A 767 is 1980s technology. They also fly MD80s which are even older. I will do whatever I can to not fly them. Stop paying executives bonuses and get current technology planes for the customers. Flying a 767 for international is like flying a first generation jet compared to what other airlines have today.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitBoy View Post
    Delta's ancient fleet is awful to fly. They need to stop buying airlines and update that shitty fleet. A 767 is 1980s technology. They also fly MD80s which are even older. I will do whatever I can to not fly them. Stop paying executives bonuses and get current technology planes for the customers. Flying a 767 for international is like flying a first generation jet compared to what other airlines have today.
    The type of 767 [[767-400ER) used on the Munich flight has only been around since 2000, so at most it's 15 years old...hardly ancient in the airline world

And Delta has many new jets on order. Some replacing the older model 767-300ER.

On November 20, 2014, Delta ordered replacements for its Boeing 747-400 and 767-300ER jets. The 50-jet order was split between 25 Airbus A330-900neos and 25 Airbus A350-900s.[6]

Airbus A330-900neo Launch customer.
    Deliveries begin 2019. Replacing Boeing 767-300ER.

Some of the 767's I've been on have had incredibly modern interiors. And Delta usually flies the best equipment to "business" or "premium" destinations, like Frankfurt.

And I think Munich might be along those same lines.

The 767-300's are old & busted though. Avoid!

You make great points. As a minor hobby I study a bit of aviation and many people never consider what plane they're boarding, relative to age and risk. I was flying Delta recently and was horrified that they're still running those old McDonald Douglass - MD80's!!? Course there was nothing I could do but fly on the thing. Thankfully, for that fight I had to switch planes due to a scheduling issue and I ended up on a wonderfully newer Embraer heavy of some kind. It was a wonderful ride - smooth as butter!

The compression and decompression planes endure with every take off and landing ages the structure. Nothing stays intact 100% over many years of use, especially the short run fleets, taking off and landing alot. I've been on some planes literally creaking [[especially back in the MD80, DC9, DC10 days, which I think Northwest or Southwest flew until they could not roll onto the tarmac anymore) but I was very young so I did not care or think about it. Now I do! I prefer Airbus 320/ 330s or whatever in that range.

If you the study a bit, you know that commercial aviation started with a spotty record. I hope we're not heading back that way due to greed. Delta: Retire the aging planes, please!!

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitBoy View Post
    Last edited by Zacha341; October-05-15 at 07:29 PM.

DetroitBoy Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    You make great points. As a minor hobby I study a bit of aviation and many people never consider what plane they're boarding, relative to age and risk. I was flying Delta recently and was horrified that they're still running those old McDonald Douglass - MD80's!!? Course there was nothing I could do but fly on the thing. Thankfully, for that fight I had to switch planes due to a scheduling issue and I ended up on a wonderfully newer Embraer heavy of some kind. It was a wonderful ride - smooth as butter!

The compression and decompression planes endure with every take off and landing ages the structure. Nothing stays intact 100 over many years of use, especially the short run fleets, taking off and landing alot. I've been on some planes literally creaking [[especially back in the MD80, DC9, DC10 days, which I think Northwest or Southwest flew until they could not roll onto the tarmac anymore) but I was very young so I did not care or think about it. Now I do! I prefer Airbus 320/ 330s or whatever in that range.

If you the study a bit, you know that commercial aviation started with a spotty record. I hope we're not heading back that way due to greed. Delta: Retire the aging planes, please!!
    Of the top 15 US airlines, Delta has the second oldest average fleet age at 17 years. Only Allegant, a start up airline, has older crates at 22 yrs. Delta controls the air traffic at Minneapolis, Detroit, New York and Atlanta [[busiest airport in the country) so it can control fares and not worry about having to compete for customer comfort. Every time I see a commercial with their "Keep Climbing" campaign, I want to gag thinking about my ears popping and the air vents blasting dry air while climbing to 30,000 feet in a 1970s vintage MD80. It's like flying in a baggage compartment.
    Last edited by DetroitBoy; October-05-15 at 05:12 PM.

^^^ Yeah for me the ear-popping is for sure more on the older planes. Hardly noticed it the last latest Airbus models I've flown in. No issue at all on that nice Embraer. I'd expect the new small start-ups flying old heaps, but Delta? Just crazy. Recall the problems of ValueJet flying old planes with questionable maintenance?

I think if I am flying international I'd not want to go the cheapest route, but then who knows.
    Last edited by Zacha341; October-06-15 at 12:19 AM.