Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Housing comparison - 48230 vs 48224

Hi,
    Looking for a family home [[2+BR) close to where my young sons attend school [[Lewis Maire in Grosse Pointe). Expensive area, and my budget is $225K, so also checking out East English Village in the area just across Mack Ave. More house for the money there, but wondering about taxes and other aspects of living in Detroit. Any advice or referrals appreciated. Thanks.
    Liam

There's a property tax estimator on line at
    https://treas-secure.state.mi.us/pte...TEstimator.asp

Total property taxes = [[SEV)/1000 * Millage Rate.
    SEV = Homes appraised value/2
    Total property taxes = [[House Value/2)/1000 * Millage Rate.

Property Tax rates in Detroit are much higher. 65 mills in Detroit Vs 46 Mills in Grosse Pointe. Same priced house will cost you %30 more taxes in Detroit than the suburbs. I you live in Detroit, You'll have to pay the %2.5 city income tax, and a utility tax, which you won't in the suburbs.

Make sure you get a car insurance quote, It will be way higher in Detroit than the suburbs.

So in Detroit a $225,000 homesteaded house would be taxed at $8685.00
    In Grosse Pointe the Same priced home would be $6082.

Yes, you'll be able to get a bigger home in Detroit. The question becomes do you want to spend $2000 extra dollars a year on equity in the home, or on taxes? Do you want to fork out much more to the insurance companies for the same car?

Quote Originally Posted by liam foote View Post
    Hi,
    Looking for a family home [[2+BR) close to where my young sons attend school [[Lewis Maire in Grosse Pointe). Expensive area, and my budget is $225K, so also checking out East English Village in the area just across Mack Ave. More house for the money there, but wondering about taxes and other aspects of living in Detroit. Any advice or referrals appreciated. Thanks.
    Liam
    If you live in Detroit your sons will not be able to attend Grosse Pointe schools. You must be a resident of GP or certain parts of Harper Woods to be able attend any of the schools in GP.

Don't forget about the insurance on the house. Even getting a small reduction for insuring both the house and car, the rates are still ridiculous, not enough to make me leave the city at this stage of the game, but it is so discouraging.

Quote Originally Posted by p69rrh51 View Post
    If you live in Detroit your sons will not be able to attend Grosse Pointe schools. You must be a resident of GP or certain parts of Harper Woods to be able attend any of the schools in GP.
    You don't know if the other parent lives in GP or not. My cousins went to GP schools because their father lived there, even though their mother lived in East Detroit [[as it was then called).

Quote Originally Posted by EastsideAl View Post
    You don't know if the other parent lives in GP or not. My cousins went to GP schools because their father lived there, even though their mother lived in East Detroit [[as it was then called).
    Of course one parent is a resident of GP. On the other hand the post mentions a family house and does not say anything about being a single parent.

I agree with the others that if you want to live in that area and have the money to buy a house, then living in the Pointes would get you more value and probably more affordability [[one of the perversities of our country). That area isn't the worst part of the city by far, but I think you still end up with the cons of the city [[taxes, insurance, services, crime) without the pros. Looking at Zillow there are houses for sale in Grosse Pointe Park that are within your budget.

But then again like you said you can get the house for cheaper. Even if it costs $5,000 extra a year to live in Detroit, in 20 years you'd still have saved money if you spent $100,000 less on the house itself.

Quote Originally Posted by liam foote View Post
    Hi,
    Liam
    Crime is going to be a factor. If you've got $225k it's a no brainer.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason View Post
    I agree with the others that if you want to live in that area and have the money to buy a house, then living in the Pointes would get you more value and probably more affordability [[one of the perversities of our country). That area isn't the worst part of the city by far, but I think you still end up with the cons of the city [[taxes, insurance, services, crime) without the pros. Looking at Zillow there are houses for sale in Grosse Pointe Park that are within your budget.

But then again like you said you can get the house for cheaper. Even if it costs $5,000 extra a year to live in Detroit, in 20 years you'd still have saved money if you spent $100,000 less on the house itself.

There are some tiny well kept up homes in most Richville area. You don't need to buy a mansion. Richville has lots of single family homes and family flats in most neighborhoods. By the way look at the demographics and crime statistics in the Detroit-Richville are before you buy. Also watch out for insurance redlining.

I've worked in that area -- near the Pointes/ Grosse Pointe Park and love that in addition to some of their larger properties, there are smaller nice brick homes with driveways. You don't see driveways in all areas, city or suburb. It's a bonus to have driveway and have more space between the homes when they are present. I noted thru a recent drive that there are some two family flats [[upper and lower style) that are a bonus for multi-family options.
    Last edited by Zacha341; October-05-15 at 06:09 AM.

Maire's district is mostly 3 plus bedroom houses. There are 2 family houses on St. Clair and Neff. Some of the houses near Mack Avenue are still a decent buy at the moment, but they have shot up quite a bit in value recently. I live in this area and would highly recommend the area. One of the reasons I live in the area is my block is a throwback, it looks like the block I grew up on in Detroit in the 1960's.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

DetroitBoy Guest

That entire area is becoming like East English Village. Crime becoming out of control. Police do a great job but they can't be everywhere all the time. The taxes in GP are high because more and more dollars are needed for public safety. Home invasions and armed robberies are becoming common occurrences in the Pointes. Just because it says Grosse Pointe doesn't mean it is any better than Detroit. Better to rent one of the cheap flats in the cabbage patch to send your kids to GP schools like most do than bury money in a house there that will be worth less in 5 years. Prices may be up but that is usually what happens before they drop as a neighborhood declines.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitBoy View Post
    T Just because it says Grosse Pointe doesn't mean it is any better than Detroit.
    In terms of schools, taxes, public safety and services, that statement is objectively wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Bham1982 View Post
    In terms of schools, taxes, public safety and services, that statement is objectively wrong.
    I think DetroitBoy was speaking to Detroit's problems beginning to spill over into the Pointes.

This thread is going exactly like all the Pointes threads go.

OP, go look for yourself, talk to people who actually live here. Don't make a purchase decision based on what you read here. It's hopelessly exaggerated.

That entire area is becoming like East English Village. Crime becoming out of control. Police do a great job but they can't be everywhere all the time. The taxes in GP are high because more and more dollars are needed for public safety. Home invasions and armed robberies are becoming common occurrences in the Pointes. Just because it says Grosse Pointe doesn't mean it is any better than Detroit. Better to rent one of the cheap flats in the cabbage patch to send your kids to GP schools like most do than bury money in a house there that will be worth less in 5 years. Prices may be up but that is usually what happens before they drop as a neighborhood declines.
    Boy do have your head up your ass! Crime is way down. I live 2 blocks from Detroit and still keep my doors unlocked. Spend some time here. The media is clueless also.

DetroitBoy Guest

Quote Originally Posted by p69rrh51 View Post
    Boy do have your head up your ass! Crime is way down. I live 2 blocks from Detroit and still keep my doors unlocked. Spend some time here. The media is clueless also.
    Obviously, a comment like this wasn't written by someone who attended schools in GP back in the good days. Living in GP two blocks from Detroit wasn't anything to be bragging about then and it surely isn't now. Talk to people in the Farms in the best neighborhoods and they will be of a different opinion. You'd best stick to photographing and commenting on the past rather than providing opinions about how much life has changed in GP.

Well this crime comparison map greatly disagrees with Detroitboy and correlates with most peoples view of the dispersion of crime in the area. All of Detroit is high or very high. All of the northeast Wayne county cities report low crime.
    http://www.city-data.com/crime/crime...-Michigan.html

DetroitBoy Guest

Quote Originally Posted by ndavies View Post
    Well this crime comparison map greatly disagrees with Detroitboy and correlates with most peoples view of the dispersion of crime in the area. All of Detroit is high or very high. All of the northeast Wayne county cities report low crime.
    Well, you should learn how to read a table. The data in this one is two years old. Either way, my comments are about the direction and the future of the area. It was a lovely community, however, I don't think anyone who is really being honest with themselves can say it is of the same caliber of the past. If you are relatively new to the area, you have a different set of standards by which you judge it and that's fine.

Obviously, a comment like this wasn't written by someone who attended schools in GP back in the good days. Living in GP two blocks from Detroit wasn't anything to be bragging about then and it surely isn't now. Talk to people in the Farms in the best neighborhoods and they will be of a different opinion. You'd best stick to photographing and commenting on the past rather than providing opinions about how much life has changed in GP.
    Most of us are out of school now, and like GP just fine as adults. And since we are being nasty, let me just say it beats the Fuck out of living in Detroit.

Well, you should learn how to read a table. The data in this one is two years old. Either way, my comments are about the direction and the future of the area. It was a lovely community, however, I don't think anyone who is really being honest with themselves can say it is of the same caliber of the past. If you are relatively new to the area, you have a different set of standards by which you judge it and that's fine.
    If you have better data, post it. otherwise you are just spewing unsupported crap as facts. It takes the FBI about 2 years for the data to be made available.

I'd put money on this years data looking even better than two years ago, since crime is down across the region.
    Last edited by ndavies; October-05-15 at 02:04 PM.

DetroitBoy: I have lived in Grosse Pointe my entire life, except for the years spent away at school. Grosse Pointe is nothing at all like East English Village [[a silly moniker attached to a deteriorating Detroit neighborhood a few years ago).

Despite the recent uptick in crime which, by the way, has been committed by Detroiters making incursions into our town, Grosse Pointe is doing just fine today and it will endure long into the future. Our police are some of the best in the area and they do have a handle on things.

In short, don't worry about us, we're just fine. You should worry about your own home town, if indeed you really do live in Detroit.
    Last edited by SyGolden48236; October-05-15 at 02:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ndavies View Post
    What one would normally think from someone saying that a crime-rate map shows "All of Detroit is high or very high." is that the map shows the crime rate for different parts of the city and that they are all high or very high. But the map doesn't say anything about the different parts of Detroit--it is all one color [[high, rather than very high I think; it clearly isn't as red as Highland Park or Hamtramck) because it doesn't break down to geographic units smaller than a municipality. So even if parts of Detroit were entirely safe this map wouldn't show it. Nor does it show [[for example) that the parts of Grosse Pointe immediately adjacent to the city have low crime. I'm not saying they don't, just that the map doesn't get down to that level of detail.

Quote Originally Posted by Gpwrangler View Post
    Crime is going to be a factor. If you've got $225k it's a no brainer.
    Yes. Sad, but true.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast