Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Now What? Giant Crane at Bagley and Cass

Looking out the window of DetroitYES world headquarters yesterday I noticed a massive new crane going up at Cass and Bagley, on the island between the Leland, Michigan Bell and Townhouse Apartments. Anybody know what that is about?

Incidentally, work is getting advanced on the Townhouse renovation and it is rumored that the Leland is going to be converted to residential. However this crane appears to be too far away from any of the buildings mentioned to be of service to them. But I have been wrong before. I think there may be some sort of recent times record for the number of cranes up in Detroit.

I would assume it's about doing work on the rooftop mechanical equipment on the AT&T building.
    Last edited by MSUguy; October-03-15 at 09:38 AM.

I don't know what's going on but the pictures are GREAT!!! Thanks for the post.

I doubt this would be for new construction, as there are still trees on the lot where it's sitting on.

I just talked to a buddy that works for ATT and he said he thinks they are renovating a building called the Carter.
    Last edited by dmike76; October-03-15 at 02:13 PM.

That's the problem with asking people who work for the companies and construction workers. They don't actually know anything. The crane is next to three buildings and none of them are called The Carter. It's possible that one of the buildings is being renamed though.

The crane is there to erect a 200 foot tall statue of Dan Gilbert.

Over here in the Netherlands it was the first day of the Alphen aan de Rijn salvage. Eight weeks ago some major fuck-up happened which some of you might have seen on TV. Even my layman eyes could see that coming. Here's what happened.

It's a miracle no one was injured!! Just look at these narrow escapes!! The lop of the second crane landed on the brick building in the center of the frame. The mast of the crane was hoisted away yesterday by an even bigger crane.

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Whitehouse; October-03-15 at 04:31 PM.

Sadly just recently too is the Mecca crane collapse that took over 100 lives.

BTW, that was the Saudi Binladin Group construction company. Yes, those bin Laden's.

This is the site of the old Lindell Hotel where the legendary Lindell A.C. Bar originated.

Can't imagine the LeLand being renovated under the current owner but I would love to see it and the great Rapp & Rapp designed public areas like the grand lobby and ballrooms restored. Companion to the Michigan building and theatre.

I worked in the Bell complex from 1984 through 1991 and if I had to guess, it appears they are finally going to remove the old microwave antennas and supporting structures. They've been retired in place for a long time now.

Quote Originally Posted by Lowell View Post
    BTW, that was the Saudi Binladin Group construction company. Yes, those bin Laden's.
    It's a well known fact that the BinLadin family disowned and completely cutoff ties with Osama BinLadin long before the 9/11 attacks due to his terrorist ties and extremist viewpoints. Much of the rest of the family is quite successful in their businesses and contributes heavily to philanthropic efforts in the US and abroad.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeg19 View Post
    It's a well known fact that the BinLadin family disowned and completely cutoff ties with Osama BinLadin long before the 9/11 attacks due to his terrorist ties and extremist viewpoints. Much of the rest of the family is quite successful in their businesses and contributes heavily to philanthropic efforts in the US and abroad.
    Yes, I know. The crane disaster is their second most damaging PR event.

Quote Originally Posted by Lowell View Post
    Yes, I know. The crane disaster is the second most damaging PR event.
    Considering the first, I'd call the crane F-up relatively small potatoes.

The crane at Cass & Bagley is to remove old communication equipment from the AT&T building.