Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

View Poll Results: How often do you use Yellow Pages as compared to five years ago?

Voters
45. You may not vote on this poll
  • A lot more

0 0%
  • A little more

1 2.22%
  • About the same

11 24.44%
  • A little less

1 2.22%
  • A lot less

14 31.11%
  • Never use it

18 40.00%

Default Detroit area Yellow Pages - a thing of the past?

A couple of weeks ago the latest Yellow Pages were thumped on my doorstep. It got me to wondering when was the last time I used them. It had to be over a year ago and then just to grab a coupon from the back for furnace vent cleaning.

Since the maturation of the internet I never use them to actually look up anything and, while they seem as thick as ever, I am wondering if anyone on this forum still uses them for look up. Do you? Are businesses still paying their outlandish rates out of some sort of zombie momentum?

What tipped off this curiosity was this 'sign of the times' sight from a Blockbuster last night snapped with my phone. There below the real estate and car free handouts were a bunch of yellow pages. "Oh how the mighty have fallen", I thought, "not even top shelf."
    Attachment 2658

While I don't use them anymore, and suspect that they may soon disappear, I would gladly snatch any I found that are thirty years old or older in a heartbeat as they offer great historical value. So while I think they are increasingly doomed for immediate trips from doorstep to the recycle bins, I kind rue that passing.

Thoughts?

LodgeDodger Guest

Ours go from the mailbox shelf to the recycle bin. Haven't used one in years. Half-expect once the older generation passes, the Yellow Pages will go the way of the petticoat.

Lowell,

I think what is happening is that with more and more people using cellular phones REPLACING and not augmenting their landline phones, the residential part of the Yellow Pages has decreased quite a bit.

But the business portion is still intact.

For business needs I still use the AT&T Yellow Pages [[and NOT that clone YELLOW BOOK)... not all small businesses have online sites [[especially the ever declining mom & pop stores/businesses).

If you're not logged onto your computer... it's still faster to flip open the Yellow Pages than it is to logon and do a search... Also, not everyone has a computer... especially the elderly.

LodgeDodger Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    Lowell,

I think what is happening is that with more and more people using cellular phones REPLACING and not augmenting their landline phones, the residential part of the Yellow Pages has decreased quite a bit.

But the business portion is still intact.

For business needs I still use the AT&T Yellow Pages [[and NOT that clone YELLOW BOOK)... not all small businesses have online sites [[especially the ever declining mom & pop stores/businesses).

If you're not logged onto your computer... it's still faster to flip open the Yellow Pages than it is to logon and do a search...
    Someone needs a smartphone...

Hubby and I still use ours. We probably just reach for it out of habit. If I can't find what I need in the Yellow Pages, then I'll resort to the computer. When we get an updated version, the old one goes in the recycling bin.

Never used it that much even in pre-computer days. Now if I look for a business, I don't seem to have any problem locating what I'm looking for on the 'puter.

Used the white pages in years past, but I don't even do that any more.

Computer here also. Got tired of it taking up space. Down here they throw 3 different company yellow pages in the driveway.

Information or data as property. Digital or physical is a factor. Fee-paid, transferable ownership. Format [[media) conversion. Security. Reliability. Last, but certainly not least, accessibility.

I use hard telephone directories about once a quarter at best. Basically, on the rare occasion where digital is inaccessible or less accurate/comprehensive.
    Last edited by vetalalumni; August-09-09 at 01:35 PM.

A thing of the past. I use the Internet to look up numbers and read reviews; I use the Yellow Pages only when the Internet is down.

In my business, I used to hate to see the Yellow Page advertising representative. They would play a shell game: a couple categories would be free, they rearranged this and deleted that, but bottom line, my rate would increase every year even though the ads remained the same size. After many frustrating years, I finally told them how much I was willing to spend and they had to figure out how I could stay listed in all the categories. If they had offered a reasonable rate [[same holds true for newspaper classified) I think many businesses would use both Internet and Yellow Pages.

The yellow pages are a thing of the past. The last time I used one was last halloween just because it was on my counter. I am 5'6" [[joke now) and she is just shy of 6 foot. Embarrasing to some but I did not have a step stool handy and I could not reach. Good times in the kitchen!

I actually had to hunt down one last week when my internet was messed up due to a storm. My son needed to look up car repair and I panicked, because he was steady dialing 411 at 1.50 a pop! I finally found one in the closet that I got when we moved in and had never used. I normally toss them but for some reason I kept this set and I'm glad I did.

The good thing about the book is that its localized and when you have to search online you end up with far too many results and you have to sift through them. Not everybody is online, although they should be! But I do believe the yellow pages is fading away, it will become difficult for them to sustain in a few more years. I give it maybe 10, tops.

Quote Originally Posted by Detwa View Post
    I actually had to hunt down one last week when my internet was messed up due to a storm. My son needed to look up car repair and I panicked, because he was steady dialing 411 at 1.50 a pop! I finally found one in the closet that I got when we moved in and had never used. I normally toss them but for some reason I kept this set and I'm glad I did.

The good thing about the book is that its localized and when you have to search online you end up with far too many results and you have to sift through them. Not everybody is online, although they should be! But I do believe the yellow pages is fading away, it will become difficult for them to sustain in a few more years. I give it maybe 10, tops.
    I don't remember if someone sent me this link or I just heard about it recently. But here's a number you can call for information for FREE! I have not tried it because I've had no need to do so, but it would have been handy in your situation, eh?

http://www.google.com/goog411/

Quote Originally Posted by Detwa View Post

Well stated Detwa... just like candles and batteries.... you never know when technology [[or power) fails us... and we have to go to backup systems...

Ditto for land line telephones [[with cords)... funny how young people to day are clueless with a rotary dial phone! Or like during an emergency when you ask a kid their home phone number... and all they remember is "Phone.... Listings... 2... ".
    Last edited by Gistok; August-10-09 at 02:11 PM.

I keep mine in my car. It fits nicely under the seat. When I'm out and about somewhere and want to find a particular business or restaurant, I can just flip open the book and usually find exactly what I need.

I have not used the book itself in years, but I have used yellowpages online from time to time.

The book goes straight to the recycling bin.

I keep mine in my car too and have used it from time to time while out. Still use the Yellow pages at home too. I do have a computer but it's not on all the time and I can look up something quickly without having to turn the computer on for just for the purpose of looking something up. If I can't find it in the Yellow Pages, I'll look it up on the internet if necessary.

You can find extra copies of area Yellow Pages in the grocery store racks [[ Meijer, Krogers) right before you walk out the door. The racks always have the Employment and Apartment rental guides in them. Also books from other areas like the western suburbs, downriver, etc.

An annual ritual for about 10 years now, pick it up off the doorstep, straight in the trash can. Prior to that I was "saving" them, not sure what I was "saving" them for, but it finally clicked after I had accumulated a stack of them a few feet high in a cupboard. Same for all other junk mail, straight to the trash. I can honestly say, I'm burned out on someone trying to sell me something. I've all but quit watching television because of it.

The problem I have with all of the phonebooks I receive is I can never find the one that has the listing I am looking for.
    We get around 3-4 different phone books and they all cover limited areas.
    It's easier to use yahoo yellow pages online. As long as you input where you live it will list everything closest to farthest from your home. Including links to the business homepage plus customer reviews. Can't get that from those useless books.