Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Rapid Transit on Fort, East Jefferson and Grand River

These are the remaining major radial roads that haven't been looked at yet. I believe these three should receive rapid transit lines as well.

Here's how they would work:

• Fort Street Line: Detroit to at least Eureka Road on the border between Southgate and Wyandotte. Later, it can be extended-either west up Eureka to Metro Airport [[most likely), south into Riverview and Trenton and then out on West Road into Woodhaven or [[least likely) east into downtown Wyandotte.
    • East Jefferson Line: Detroit to Grosse Pointe Farms. Jefferson to Cadieux to Kercheval.
    • Grand River Line: Detroit to Novi Road, then up Novi to Twelve Oaks Mall.

How many people will be served by the new lines? [[figures courtesy of the excellent Population Explorer website)

• Fort Street Line: 172,000 people within the one-mile buffer of the route to Eureka. 58,000 people within the one-mile buffer of the Metro Airport branch. 61,000 people within the one-mile buffer of the Woodhaven branch. 27,000 people within the one-mile buffer of the downtown Wyandotte branch.
    • East Jefferson Line: 117,000 people within the one-mile buffer.
    • Grand River Line: 259,000 people within the one-mile buffer.

Map of the buffers.

Everything in these transit threads is "a startling old idea". See the picture of the Detroit transit network in 1913:

Name:  txu-oclc-6445490-electric_railway-detroit-1913.jpg
Views: 422
Size:  239.2 KB

How far we've come in 102 years!

Although Woodward is usually seen as the primary 'spoke', I suggest that Grand River is much closer to the center of the region's populated areas.

Woodward is much farther from Trenton than from Mt. Clemens.

Quote Originally Posted by Wesley Mouch View Post
    Woodward is much farther from Trenton than from Mt. Clemens.
    I can truly assure you that this is not true. In fact, downtown, Woodward is actually closer to Trenton than Mount Clemens.

If you dig along Electric through downriver you will find the rails from the Interurban.

Quote Originally Posted by mtburb View Post
    I can truly assure you that this is not true. In fact, downtown, Woodward is actually closer to Trenton than Mount Clemens.
    If you draw a radius w/ center at Campus Martius -- its hard to agree. The distance isn't the shortest-line distance, but the distance on radius. We must settle this. Its an important issue. To hell with immigration reform and refugees. Which is closer?

I totally agree with these transit lines. Downriver is in desperate need for some public transportation. Even if it's just to Eureka it'd be great for Wyandotte

Great idea! Jefferson always seemed like such a great rapid transit corridor to me, given all the high-rises along the riverfront.

FYI - the RTA is starting with just Gratiot, Woodward, and Michigan Ave for rapid transit, but will also likely be looking at 10-15 other corridors for enhanced express bus service. Make sure to go to the RTA public meetings and pitch your idea! They are looking for thoughtful input on transit priorities. Details at http://www.rtamichigan.org/fall-public-meetings/.

I appreciate the fact the RTA is making their presence known to the community. They're not just twiddling their thumbs waiting for the money to come in. They have a social media presence and are actually looking for input from the community and using the resources they have to be relevant and get the word out. Despite this, it's sad that they have to do it because in real metropolitan regions, they would have funding and they wouldn't need to act like an underdog and fight to become a relevant government agency.