Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 20 1 2 3 4 5 6 11 ... LastLast

Default While in Flint, Don't drink their water

Since Flint's Water and Sewage Dept. have turned down Detroit's water and Sewage Dept. and gone back to their dept. Suddenly people are getting very sick. There are high levels of lead, dangerously high that drinking their water will make you sick by next week. What is going on with Flint City Council. They are so dirt poor that they get can not get clean drinking water. This causes folks to buy drinking water, buy stronger water filters or may move out to areas where water is safe to drink. What are those Romans [[ I mean those lawmakers in Lansing) doing about solving Flint's water crisis?

Any thoughts?

Here is the source:

http://www.freep.com/story/opinion/c...isis/72811990/
    Last edited by Danny; September-27-15 at 09:19 PM.

rick snyder's emergency financial manager flunkie dun flunked the city of flint.

http://america.aljazeera.com/article...al-crisis.html

Meh. More scare tactics. Everyone ate peanut butter and drank tap water when I was growing up, and we didn't have seat belts or air bags. And when our cars stalled we just restarted 'em and didn't sue GM either.

Water is is the least of the risks in Flint these days.

Quote Originally Posted by Gpwrangler View Post
    Meh. More scare tactics. Everyone ate peanut butter and drank tap water when I was growing up, and we didn't have seat belts or air bags. And when our cars stalled we just restarted 'em and didn't sue GM either.

Driving without a seatbelt is not comparable to drinking water with dangerously high levels of lead. Pretty shitty of you to dismiss the major short and long term effects of having a high level of lead in water.

It would have been easier to just say 'F' them, I'm better than they are and don't care." At least you'd be honest in stating your belief.

I'm guessing you haven't spent a lot of time looking into the effects of lead poisoning. Just because something doesn't kill a particular person immediately doesn't make it unimportant.

Quote Originally Posted by mwilbert View Post
    I'm guessing you haven't spent a lot of time looking into the effects of lead poisoning. Just because something doesn't kill a particular person immediately doesn't make it unimportant.
    GPwrangler is too tough to get lead poisoning. He rode in cars without seat belts as a child so nothing can harm him especially something as sissified elevated levels of lead in his system.

As a child of an older generation, he used to eat lead for lunch and it never hurthim.

Yup, we haven't drank the water in my house in Flint since the switch over to using the Flint River as our source of water. This is essentially Darnell Early's and the DWSD fault. Early is the one who signed off on the switch to the river because Detroit was going to jack the rates up on us for a short term contract to get us through until the new pipeline to Port Huron is completed in 2016. The DWSD pretty much sent the City of Flint a shut off notice from what appears to be spite for daring to withdraw from their system in 2016. Unfortunately the Flint River water is so filthy it takes a ton of chemicals to clean it therefore making the water extremely corrosive to our aging infrastructure causing it to leach a bunch of lead into our drinking water.

Quote Originally Posted by jt1 View Post
    Driving without a seatbelt is not comparable to drinking water with dangerously high levels of lead. Pretty shitty of you to dismiss the major short and long term effects of having a high level of lead in water.

It would have been easier to just say 'F' them, I'm better than they are and don't care." At least you'd be honest in stating your belief.
    Lol except that I drank Flint water for half my life. So them is me.

Lol except that I drank Flint water for half my life. So them is me.
    You do realize that the issues are recent issues, correct? That would mean the 'them' drinking the tainted water is not you. It's even more concerning that if you think them is you that you are all too willing to piss on them and negate the very real, negative impact from having too much lead in the water.

I kind of have to agree with GP on this one. While lead exposure is a serious issue [[Especially for children), in this particular instance it's being overblown and mostly for political purposes. There's a link in the posted article showing the slightly elevated water lead levels in some households, but they are barely out of EPA exposure guidelines [[And only a small percentage of them). Not only that, but this is a temporary problem that will soon be a non issue after this year when the pipeline from Lake Huron is completed.

Just a guess, but I would not be surprised if the increased number of Flint area children being treated for lead exposure is simply a result of the increased media coverage, and has little to nothing to do with the change in the lead water levels. Lead at these relatively low levels would take a significant amount of time to cause issues, even in children. Alternate forms of lead exposure from aging homes and contaminated soil in the Flint region are a far more serious issue and if reduction to lead exposure is the goal that's where money would be well spent, not wasted on expensive fixes to a temporary issue.
    Last edited by Johnnny5; September-28-15 at 03:36 PM.

There is lead in many cities' pipes and infrastructure. It's not a new issue.

And when our cars stalled we just restarted 'em and didn't sue GM either.
    I have one of the cars effected by the recall. The car's ignition would sometimes slip into the accessory position [[instead of run). This causes you to lose all power systems, including steering, brakes, and air bags. I'm not all surprised that this defect killed people. GM knew it was bad and that's why they had a huge cover-up where they redesigned the part, but kept the part number the same [[completely atypical any type of manufacturing).

It's not a matter of whiny people suing, it's a matter of dead people's families being left to pick up the pieces.

http://www.motherjones.com/kevin-dru...urban-policing

http://www.washingtonpost.com/local/...y.html?hpid=z1

When Freddie Gray was 22 months old, he had a tested blood lead level of 37 micrograms per deciliter. This is an absolutely astronomical amount..
    well. i dont know. these two articles paint freddie as some kind of lead-freak. but all they talk about is him selling drugs. nothing violent. usually when they try to make the lead poisoning they link it to violence.

http://flintwaterstudy.org/wp-conten...ter-092415.pdf

A couple days later, lead level comes back as 6 ug/dL.
    the only blood level statistic i could find. are there any blood levels reported in the original report? i cant seem to find it. 6 is less than freddie grey's 27 anyway.

last time i changed the water filter i saw a pale yellow slime all over it. i wonder if something changed in detroit's water recently. maybe less chlorine or something...

i dont think enough people are monitoring [[and accurately reporting) the findings of testing water here in michigan. seems like theres some weird shit going on.

back to rainwater and pure grain alcohol. POE.

DetroitBoy Guest

What does this threat have to do with Detroit ?

emergency manager of flint changes water for the worse in flint
    emergency manager of detroit changes water for the worse in detroit

its a pattern.

oh hey look new water bill, now its a $60 fee for $30 of water and $30 of sewer [[water bill total is $130).
    the price of water is going up in detroit and the burbs!

http://www.hometownlife.com/story/ne...cent/28399961/
    Last edited by compn; September-28-15 at 07:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 48307 View Post
    I have one of the cars effected by the recall. The car's ignition would sometimes slip into the accessory position [[instead of run). This causes you to lose all power systems, including steering, brakes, and air bags. I'm not all surprised that this defect killed people. GM knew it was bad and that's why they had a huge cover-up where they redesigned the part, but kept the part number the same [[completely atypical any type of manufacturing).

It's not a matter of whiny people suing, it's a matter of dead people's families being left to pick up the pieces.
    I have one of the cars too, and despite all the crap on my key ring it has never quit. But you still have manual steering and brakes and can restart the engine by shifting to neutral while still rolling. Cars used to quit often back in the day thanks to early smog equipment. It's definitely not a new phenomenon. Like a blown tire, rarely happens but drivers need to be prepared. It could actually happen to any car, not just those with a "defective" switch. Of course, nowadays driver training is a different story. Yesterday I saw someone panic and stop on an entrance ramp onto I-94 --- and several cars in the right lane made a complete stop to "let him in". Almost caused a huge wreck.

DetroitYES Home » Non Detroit Issues » Thom Hartmann » Why is Michigan Poisoning Children?
    It was only until last Friday that the governor finally said publicly [that] maybe we made a mistake. Now there's a GM plant in Flint that paid $2 million or so to switch back into the Detroit water supply because the water was destroying the parts in the GM plant.
    Are car parts more valued to us than Michigan children? Really?

Quote Originally Posted by Jimaz View Post
    Are car parts more valued to us than Michigan children? Really?
    I don't think anyone, including the people at General Motors, would say that car parts are more important. The difference is that GM has the funds and the GM Flint Assembly is directly across the street [[on two sides) from Flint Township, which is already getting water from Detroit.

More concerning to me is that government funds are being spent to supply the Genesee County Jail with bottled water and special food that does not require water to prepare, yet the city of Flint has yet to provide anything to the school system. The prisoners are being taken care of before small children. [[I'm not saying that prisoners should have to consume the water, but simply the priorities are messed up when we take care of the prisoners before the schools, sick, elderly, etc...)

Precisely. Just another reason for me to not buy those cars.

Quote Originally Posted by 48307 View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    Precisely. Just another reason for me to not buy those cars.
    No car is completely failsafe, regardless of manufacturer.

I guess it's easy to be flippant about the safety of other people's water supply when it doesn't affect your own kids mental and physical health....

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/in-...cid=spartandhp

FEMA sends 28,000 liters of bottled water to Flint amid lead troubles
    "As a part of our normal commodities management process, FEMA periodically offers commodities nearing the end of their shelf-life to eligible non-profits for donation. These donations are not done, 'on-request,' but are a part of our normal strategy to maintain our stockpiles for use in emergencies," the statement said.

Cher Calls Gov. Snyder A Murderer Over Flint’s ‘Poison Water’ In Twitter Rant

Now he's gone and done it. He's evoked the wrath of Cher.

But isn't a firing squad a bit harsh?

I'm interested to see how big the fallout for this gets. For a while, it seemed as if it would be swept under the rug. Now it's another black eye for Snyder and his EM's.

Page 1 of 20 1 2 3 4 5 6 11 ... LastLast