Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Rare lunar eclipse tomorrow night

How is this rare? Well, this one takes a full moon, a supermoon and a lunar eclipse and mixes them all together into one. This one is so bright you can even just see it from downtown Detroit.

This one will be happening tomorrow night. Afterwards, we won't be seeing anything like this until 2033.

http://www.freep.com/story/news/loca...moon/72871938/

I'll be watching from here on the Canadian west coast. It's nice when I can do something together with Detroiters from way out here.

On the west coast, the moon will rise during total eclipse. Should be a rare sight, indeed. I hope to take some pics as it rises over Black Mountain behind my home in Henderson, NV.

There will be lunatics coming out when the moon turns blood red.

I can already tell. When I drove I-94 from Kalamazoo to Detroit I could tell I was home because I almost rear ended half a dozen cars doing 40mph on the freeway right after crossing the city limits. C'mon people, I know it's a full moon but the right pedal still makes it go!

Well, it's already getting cloudy, so we might never even see it...

I saw it just now in partial eclipse through a clearing in the clouds. Not red. Watched it from about half to three quarters covered by Earth's shadow. It does seem unusually large for being about 30 degrees above horizon.

Drove over to the roof of the parking garage at the M Resort here in Las Vegas with hopes of catching the rising moon appearing at 90% totality. Unfortunately, it clouded over this evening pretty much spoiling the view. Those are the foothills of Black Mountain at the south end of the valley, and my house is in that picture up there somewhere. Lot of folks had gathered there with the same mission as I, so it was a pleasant forty minutes or so spent there, chatting.

Clouds cleared over Detroit. It's now entering totality. Rusty color. Very eerie.

I'm trying to imagine what it looks like from the moon. I guess just like a solar eclipse.

Dad helped design a critical part for the Saturn V booster that launched Apollo toward the moon so it's an especially poignant event for me.
    Last edited by Jimaz; September-27-15 at 09:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimaz View Post
    Clouds cleared over Detroit. It's now entering totality. Rusty color. Very eerie.
    There were some nice views east of Windsor. A lot less clouds.

I'm trying to imagine what it looks like from the moon. I guess just like a solar eclipse.
    A Japanese probe happened to take a picture of one seen from the moon

There's a video of it here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zq0ptByQrcg
    Attached Images Attached Images  

I saw it just now in partial eclipse through a clearing in the clouds. Not red. Watched it from about half to three quarters covered by Earth's shadow. It does seem unusually large for being about 30 degrees above horizon.
    Well that's an optical illusion. The moon always appears to be bigger the closer to the horizon it is.

Despite the hype, the average person cannot tell the difference between this "super" moon and any regular moon. The difference in size and brightness is in the low percentages.

Over Belle Isle........
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by mtburb View Post
    How is this rare? Well, this one takes a full moon, a supermoon and a lunar eclipse and mixes them all together into one. This one is so bright you can even just see it from downtown Detroit.

This one will be happening tomorrow night. Afterwards, we won't be seeing anything like this until 2033.

Well it's not THAT rare. I looked it up and the next good total lunar eclipse visible from the Detroit area looks to be happening on Jan 21, 2019

http://www.eclipsewise.com/lunar/LEp...n21Tprime.html

No super moon but like I said, it's highly unlikely that you'll notice any difference.

Quote Originally Posted by yupislyr View Post
    There were some nice views east of Windsor. A lot less clouds.

A Japanese probe happened to take a picture of one seen from the moon

There's a video of it here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zq0ptByQrcg
    Thank you so much for the video. That was totally unexpected. Great screenshot too. You caught the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by yupislyr View Post
    Well that's an optical illusion. The moon always appears to be bigger the closer to the horizon it is.

Despite the hype, the average person cannot tell the difference between this "super" moon and any regular moon. The difference in size and brightness is in the low percentages.
    Size doesn't matter..... It's how you view the moon.

But Honky Tonk wins. Ha! Great photo.

But Honky Tonk wins. Ha! Great photo.
    Thanx..........

Just now a big cloud bank occluded the whole thing just as it was exiting totality.

Thanks to mtburb for starting this thread. I might have missed it otherwise.

Picture of eclipse as it was moving out of totality...
    Name:  DSC05209.jpg
Views: 392
Size:  18.2 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Warrenite84 View Post
    Picture of eclipse as it was moving out of totality...
    Name:  DSC05209.jpg
Views: 392
Size:  18.2 KB
    You took my photo and just flipped it upside down, didn't you?

Here it is over Wyandotte.

Stopped watching Abott & Costello meet Dracula and Frankenstein to go out and watch it at 9:30. This is in Dearborn. We watched as the outer ring all around got purplish. The tease was watching it almost disappear, then a huge cloud bank came in and hid it from site.

Had a great view right from the front porch of my house. In and out of clouds at the beginning then full view the rest of the way. Wish I had a telescope but my binoculars worked good.

Quote Originally Posted by softailrider View Post
    Had a great view right from the front porch of my house. In and out of clouds at the beginning then full view the rest of the way. Wish I had a telescope but my binoculars worked good.
    For an event like this, I don't think a telescope would be much better than binoculars. What might help is a stable tripod mount for the binoculars so the [[handheld) image doesn't shake around too much. Even minimal shaking makes it hard to see details.

Really good optics are expensive mostly because they have a large aperture for collecting more faint light. For lunar eclipses, there's more than enough light so that aperture doesn't matter much. Binoculars are more than adequate.
    Last edited by Jimaz; September-28-15 at 09:56 PM.

It's not tomorrow night by the way, it was last night.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast