Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Lear Corp. to set up design studio in Capitol Park

Second move by Lear in a few weeks. Good news for downtown!

http://www.detroitnews.com/story/bus...roit/72816546/

I'm surprised this isn't garnering more comments. I might be all wet, but I suspect that we are going to start seeing more and more of our Fortune 500 companies from around the metro opening up shop downtown. We can all see the proliferation of high tech companies and startups growing downtown, I think it's only natural that the creative components [[if not entire headquarters) start to show a presence downtown. I think this is one of the first dominoes to fall - 5 years from now, I bet you'll see many more buildings that say 'Lear,' 'Penske,' 'Delphi,' or 'Valeo,' at the top. With the increased competition for young, educated, creative types, it not only makes sense to be close to where the action is [[near other creative tech companies and infrastructure, close to CCS, WSU, etc.) it is practically a necessity.

Its getting increasingly obvious that in a year or two, Capitol Park will be greatly transformed.

YAY Gilbert!

Designed by Gordon W. Lloyd. Brown Brothers Cigar Factory 119 State Street built in 1887 Capitol Park Historic District Detroit, MI.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Great building for studios in need of natural light. The jumbo sized fenestration beats a lot of contemporary bldg and is a lot more appealing. Un bon coup!

I wouldn't want to over-emphasize the significance of this particular move--it's a small building and not a lot of people.

But can anyone imagine this happening ten or twenty years ago? I can't. I think it is inconceivable that Lear would even have considered it, much less actually done it. It is an indicator of how much perceptions of the city, specifically downtown, have changed.

now that company might have decent desk chairs

If these new jobs keep coming at a exponentially faster rate like the have been, a lot of Detroit's other problems will start to take care of themselves.