Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default DCFC Closer To Moving to Hamtramck

Stadium lease approved.

If I understand the article correctly, the FC needs to raise 750k - 1M for the necessary renovations.

I assume this sets up a scenario with DCFC in Hamtramck and another team in Midtown or on the river front.

http://www.crainsdetroit.com/article...rnoon-20150924

Quote Originally Posted by emu steve View Post
    http://www.crainsdetroit.com/article...rnoon-20150924

Stadium lease approved.

If I understand the article correctly, the FC needs to raise 750k - 1M for the necessary renovations.

I assume this sets up a scenario with DCFC in Hamtramck and another team in Midtown or on the river front.

as cool as that would be i highly doubt metro detroit could support two professional soccer teams... there's just not enough popularity. i would rather there be just the one anyways.

I love that stadium. First WPA Project completed. Roosevelt came to inaugurate it. Hence Roosevelt St. in Hamtramck.

I hate to bring up the P-word, but the stadium is wedged between a dense neighborhood and railroad tracks. Not a lot of parking. Hamtramck streets are notoriously jammed and parking spots jealously held. If I had a furniture store in Hamtramck I would be stocking up on parking space chairs.

I don't think the big draw is the football itself, but the downtown location, party atmosphere that brings the crowds to Cass Tech. Enjoyed hopping on the bike for a quick ride to the match from Corktown but an evening ride back from Hamtramck is not so appealing.

Hope it works out for them.

Quote Originally Posted by Bro Greg View Post
    I don't think the big draw is the football itself, but the downtown location, party atmosphere that brings the crowds to Cass Tech. Enjoyed hopping on the bike for a quick ride to the match from Corktown but an evening ride back from Hamtramck is not so appealing.

Hope it works out for them.
    This is the kind of point I like to make about sports facilities. Just can't place a sports facility anywhere and expect it to be successful.

I'm reminded of Memorial Stadium in Baltimore. In the middle of a residential neighborhood. Nothing around it but houses.

Bad parking or a bad commute can really hurt attendance.

Perhaps the move could help the club build a new fan base from the people of Hamtramck..the ethnic groups there probably appreciate the beautiful game more than the born and bred Americans.

Then in five or ten years if City goes pro, they may have a more diverse supporter group to bring back downtown with them.

Looking at the satellite map the big parking lot for the shopping mall at Jos. Campau and Holbrook would seem to offer the parking. Any bars around there would be smart to promoted themselves as the soccer bar.

Harry's had that going and was the kick off spot for the Cass Tech field location. Fans would drink up, don their scarves and march en masse to the field from there. As they are used to doing that already they may not mind walk they will have to make in Hamtramck. It is a younger hipsterish crowd.

It still will be a bit of a mess, but a fun mess, on those one way streets before game time as there are sure to be a lot of drop off traffic. I do like the neighborhood aspect but am not sure if they neighbors will.

Why can't they saddle up to the public trough for some cash money like Mikey the Illitch?

With all of the waste in Lansing, I'm sure they could cough up a few mill.

I never understand when it's reported that DCFC regularly has sellout crowds at Cass Tech. I've been to several games and have never seen anything close to sold out. The fan section is always packed but usually 75% of the home bleachers are empty. I hope moving to Hamtramck works out and attracts more fans, but it really doesn't seem necessary at this time.

Quote Originally Posted by ekleezy View Post
    I never understand when it's reported that DCFC regularly has sellout crowds at Cass Tech. I've been to several games and have never seen anything close to sold out. The fan section is always packed but usually 75% of the home bleachers are empty. I hope moving to Hamtramck works out and attracts more fans, but it really doesn't seem necessary at this time.
    My guess is that you have been to a couple of the "friendlies" or non-league matches. For league matches City regularly draws over capacity. For several games this year there were people standing outside the stadium on planters to see the game.

I was going to break down attendance for you, but someone else has already done that. AVERAGE attendance this year was 3528. Trust me, the move is needed.

Quote Originally Posted by JDKeepsmiling View Post
    My guess is that you have been to a couple of the "friendlies" or non-league matches. For league matches City regularly draws over capacity.
    Maybe that is it. It's too bad I didn't make it to a sold out game then. Last game I went to was the alumni game so obviously it wouldn't be crowded. I was also at the game against Windsor, though, where attendance was apparently 3485. Even though they say capacity at Cass Tech is 2500, it definitely wasn't over capacity. I just checked a few of my pictures to confirm. Either way, hopefully Hamtramck works out for them.

Quote Originally Posted by Lowell View Post
    I love that stadium. First WPA Project completed. Roosevelt came to inaugurate it. Hence Roosevelt St. in Hamtramck.

I hate to bring up the P-word, but the stadium is wedged between a dense neighborhood and railroad tracks. Not a lot of parking. Hamtramck streets are notoriously jammed and parking spots jealously held. If I had a furniture store in Hamtramck I would be stocking up on parking space chairs.
    I love the stadium as well and this is a great fit. Parking problems are great problems to have because they force people to stop being so lazy. I can think of a few other pro teams with much larger crowds that have made neighborhood stadiums work in amazing ways. This is going to be phenomenal.

Designed by Lawrence B. Jameson. Keyworth Stadium 3201 Roosevelt built in 1936 Hamtramck, MI. Includes an image of the stadium from a 1947 issue of Michigan Architect and Engineer.
    Attached Images Attached Images      

Quote Originally Posted by p69rrh51 View Post
    Designed by Lawrence B. Jameson. Keyworth Stadium 3201 Roosevelt built in 1936 Hamtramck, MI. Includes an image of the stadium from a 1947 issue of Michigan Architect and Engineer.
    Does the stadium have sufficient lights, adequate scoreboard[[s), etc.

The 750k - 1M presumes that the lights, scoreboard, etc. are adequate. New lighting at a football/soccer stadium can be 1 - 2M.

Not cheap.

Quote Originally Posted by p69rrh51 View Post
    Any idea what that building [school?] is at the top of the 1947 picture? Nice looking whatever it was.

Quote Originally Posted by Lowell View Post
    Any idea what that building [school?] is at the top of the 1947 picture? Nice looking whatever it was.
    The 1931 R. L. Polk City Directory lists the Playfair School
    Last edited by p69rrh51; September-26-15 at 10:41 AM.

Seeing as I live across the street from Keyworth, might be time to check in. 1) The old school reigning over Playfair Field was demolished long ago, and seems magnificent in some of the old photos. 2) Parking is a huge issue. The streets get clogged when there is a Friday night football game. They would have to work out an arrangement with the lot at Glory Foods, which fills up anyhow for seemingly no good reason. 3) The neighborhood is essentially safe, but this is break in territory. Even in a proper lot, use caution.

That post came across as too negative. It is a beautiful facility, made to last 1000 years, and a spectacular setting for urban sports. I just hope they can work out the details. When you watch the sun go down over the train yard from those storied bleachers, it is a worthwhile effort.