Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default What will an average Detroit Neighborhood look like in 2030?

I'm not talking about downtown, that area is making huge strides. I'm talking about your run of the mill Sherwood and Davison, Lynwood and Hubbell, or Junction and Vernor. We're seeing a ton of development in the Downtown and surrounding neighborhoods, and "what is happening in the neighborhoods" is being thrown around a lot, but what will the neighborhoods look like in 2030, 15 years from now?

I'm interested to hear your opinions.

Thanks,
    MicrosoftFan

That would largely depend on proximity to the revitalized core. I'd guess that neighborhoods very near the core will see noticeable continued improvement, and the stable neighborhoods will continue to do well [[Palmer Woods, Sherwood Forest, Indian Village). I'd say that the marginal neighborhoods that are far from the core will stay the same or be worse, even more depopulated. There's no reason to believe that wouldn't be the case.

Lots of them will be mostly vacant.

Land, spreadin' out so far and wide.......

♪ Give me land, lots of land, under starry skies above......♫ Don't fence me in....♪

[[Apologies to Gene Autry)

Many of them will revert back to nature/forests, while others will probably resemble what you see in the outer ring suburbs.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray1936 View Post
    ♪ Give me land, lots of land, under starry skies above......♫ Don't fence me in....♪

[[Apologies to Gene Autry)
    You know, you sound just like him.

Oil wells, property will be owned by the Middle East.....just ask Honky.

Quote Originally Posted by Smirnoff View Post
    Heck, the capital of "I rock" might as well be Detroit in 20 some odd years.

Quote Originally Posted by Smirnoff View Post
    Deetroit, just like I pictured it, skyscrapers and everything.....

Maybe they will start strip mining for salt since Detroit sits on huge deposits.

Default Prostitution and Pot to Save Detroit?

Former mayoral candidate Geoffrey Fieger and many other politicians say this:

“Tell the police department to leave marijuana alone and don’t spend one dime trying to enforce marijuana laws.I also would not enforce prostitution laws and I’d make us the new Amsterdam.”

Will turning Detroit into a city of pot heads and crack hookers reverse the decline by 2030? I think not.

Maybe something like this instead:

Name:  detroit.jpg
Views: 18713
Size:  86.4 KB

Detroit will look this:

Detroit 2030

population 900,234

48.3% black

41.6% white

8.4% Hispanic

1% Asian

1% other

Gilberttown to the New Center Area, Corktown and half of SW Detroit and parts of the lower east and west sides will be mostly white. Most parts of the west side, east side northeast and northwest side will mostly black. More black families are living the inner ring suburbs [[older cookie cutter homes ) Hispanics are living half of SW Detroit. Other are moving to parts of lower west side and up the west side areas. fewer Hispanics will be living in most downriver suburbs.

Quote Originally Posted by CassTechGrad View Post

“Tell the police department to leave marijuana alone and don’t spend one dime trying to enforce marijuana laws.I also would not enforce prostitution laws and I’d make us the new Amsterdam.”

Will turning Detroit into a city of pot heads and crack hookers reverse the decline by 2030? I think not.

Not going to happen too much regional development trend from middle class white folks. They want Detroit back.

That's not going to happen.

It doesn't look like Mom has sold too many 2 liters today......
    Last edited by Honky Tonk; September-23-15 at 02:44 PM.

Where is that picture, Warren and Chalmers?

My childhood home, 13960 Steel, just north of Schoolcraft, still survives, but thanks to Google street view, if I sat on the front porch today and looked across the street, this would be what I see.

Creepy- how time has changed.

Quote Originally Posted by Mind field View Post
    That would largely depend on proximity to the revitalized core. I'd guess that neighborhoods very near the core will see noticeable continued improvement, and the stable neighborhoods will continue to do well [[Palmer Woods, Sherwood Forest, Indian Village). I'd say that the marginal neighborhoods that are far from the core will stay the same or be worse, even more depopulated. There's no reason to believe that wouldn't be the case.
    I agree with this.

Not sure if this has been seen before but this site is relevant to this thread. It shows how quickly a neighborhood can deteriorate largely due to foreclosure, fire and abandonment.

http://www.goobingdetroit.com/

DetroitBoy Guest

7 mile and Kelly Road in Harper Woods now that it's gone ghetto.

Quote Originally Posted by Hermod View Post
    Where is that picture, Warren and Chalmers?
    Grozny, Chechnya

In 2030, Detroit will be one big vacant lot.

Highland Park, 1913
    Name:  Highland Park home smaller.jpg
Views: 1456
Size:  83.5 KB
    Highland Park, 2015- over 100 years later-
    Name:  IMG_9703-crop sm.jpg
Views: 1353
Size:  97.2 KB
    This one is not going to be around much longer- broken out window upstairs, roof bad, etc. So although there's a new car dealer right next door, the homes on this street won't last much longer, which is true of so many areas.
    I see only blocks being cleared for new buildings, at best.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitBoy View Post
    7 mile and Kelly Road in Harper Woods now that it's gone ghetto.

Harper Woods is already a canned ghetto hood. Neighborhood street crime is on the rise during the last 10 years. I remember 15 years ago I was walking Kelly Rd. to Eastland Mall for the first time. The business district was nice, beautiful and filled with white people. Now its getting messy, fewer storefronts are covered up and more middle class black folks move in the Harper Woods in accelerated numbers. Harper Woods is next victim of suburban white flight. Next to Oak Park, Southfield, Eastpointe and Lathrup Village. Grosse Pointe Woods, St Clair Shores. Roseville, Warren is next on the list by the next 20 years. Detroit is recovering from Coleman Young's North Korean-Maoist-Sovietesque dark ages, more black families are moving to the suburbs in greater numbers. Black flight will never end, its the beginning.

If black folks want to come back to Detroit 30 to 50 years later, it's going to be very hard to buy a home. New neighborhood sub-divisions and block clubs created by middle class white folks want them to show that they have a job, income and good credit points. Because they will not sell their home to anyone who is living on subsidized welfare checks and food stamps. A cheap cookie cutter subsidized welfare supported suburban home will do. So for all of you black folks who are still living in Detroit neighborhoods, keep your part of the area black. When you all leave your hood, gentrification comes in and you all will not come back.
    Last edited by Danny; October-19-15 at 12:54 PM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast