Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
    DetroitBoy Guest

Quote Originally Posted by old guy View Post
    Seriously, a parade?

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

A parade [[also called march or marchpast) is a procession of people, usually organized along a street, often in costume, and often accompanied by marching bands, floats or sometimes large balloons. Parades are held for a wide range of reasons, but are usually celebrations of some kind.

Detroit Boy, you're probably correct in your thinking. My apologies.
    I know the type of people who live in Warren so I know I am correct. At least there's one city that isn't willing to let hoodlums ruin it without a fight. Good for them.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitBoy View Post
    The guy who shot him came out of the bathroom when the robbery was in progress and had the gun pointed at him. Not much news coverage on this since it happened. Hope they let us know when he will get his commendation from the city. They really should have a parade for him. He's a real hero!
    A bank with a public bathroom? That's open? Nobody has to let you in?

DetroitBoy Guest

Quote Originally Posted by softailrider View Post
    http://www.freep.com/story/news/loca...rren/72631112/

Even people from Warren have to pee once and awhile.

Just think,if the bank was in Midtown,it would have been a whole different outcome.

DetroitBoy Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    Just think,if the bank was in Midtown,it would have been a whole different outcome.
    For sure. The hoodlum would mow down everyone else in the bank with bullets using a semi automatic weapon, the police would shoot and arrest him and there would have to be a State level investigation to see if the officer acted inappropriately.

For sure. The hoodlum would mow down everyone else in the bank with bullets using a semi automatic weapon, the police would shoot and arrest him and there would have to be a State level investigation to see if the officer acted inappropriately.
    No,because the guy would not be coming out of the bathroom because it would have been locked,according to some,and he would have been outside using the sidewalk and would have never had the gun pointed at him in the first place.

Not to mention riots and protests, which I'm still shocked aren't happening.

Police confirmed on Wednesday that a concealed pistol license [[CPL) holder was not being threatened by a fleeing shoplifter when she decided to fire multiple shots at him in a Home Depot parking lot.

And experts interviewed Wednesday doubted the shooting could have been justified.

“It’s my worst nightmare as a CPL instructor,” said Doreen Hankins, owner of Detroit Arms, which holds CPL classes. “You have to know the entire situation before you pull that handgun out. And I don’t see that a shoplifter at Home Depot fills any of those criteria.”

The shooting happened in the store’s parking lot at around 2 p.m. Tuesday, when Home Depot’s store security was chasing a shoplifter who jumped into a waiting dark SUV driven by another suspect, said Lt. Jill McDonnell, an Auburn Hills police spokeswoman.

But when the SUV began to pull away, the CPL holder, a 48-year-old woman from Clarkston, suddenly began firing shots at the fleeing vehicle. The vehicle escaped, though one of the bullets may have flattened a back tire, McDonnell said. Police are still seeking to identify the suspects, who made off with more than $1,000 in merchandise.

The shooter remained on the scene, cooperated with police, and was released pending an investigation. But gun safety experts say the shooting details that have been released so far don’t look great for the shooter.

To use a concealed weapon in Michigan, a CPL holder needs to think that there is an imminent danger of death, great bodily harm or sexual assault, or think there is a similar danger to someone else, said Rick Ector, a firearms trainer who runs Legally Armed Detroit. He added that a gun is “truly a tool of last resort.”
    I don't see how this situation differs much from the bank shooter. In both instances there was either no threat or the threat had ended as in both cases the robber was fleeing when the arm chair commando unloaded their weapon in the general direction of the fleeing perp.

My issue is not with people legitimately defending themselves, my issue with giving CPL to anyone who can pass a background check and has a few hundred bucks to spend on the class and a free afternoon to get certified. There should more required. I mean at least lets require an annual re-qual and testing to ensure proficiency and a clear understanding of when deadly force can be used AND you're able to handle your weapon.
    Last edited by bailey; October-08-15 at 09:01 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by bailey View Post
    I don't see how this situation differs much from the bank shooter. In both instances there was either no threat or the threat had ended as in both cases the robber was fleeing when the arm chair commando unloaded their weapon in the general direction of the fleeing perp.

My issue is not with people legitimately defending themselves, my issue with giving CPL to anyone who can pass a background check and has a few hundred bucks to spend on the class and a free afternoon to get certified. There should more required. I mean at least lets require an annual re-qual and testing to ensure proficiency and a clear understanding of when deadly force can be used AND you're able to handle your weapon.
    Agree that annual re-qual course isn't too much of a burden. These days, it could be taken on-line. But its a good idea to remind people of their obligations. The cost of mistakes is very high.

We aren't in a great position to judge -- with our source of information being the press. But I see a lot of difference between Armed Robbery vs. Shoplifting. For starters, one is a crime against a person [[theatening clerk, pointing gun) -- while the other a crime where nobody was threatened at all.

I think the bank meets the 'imminent danger of death, great bodily harm or sexual assault, or think there is a similar danger to someone else' test.

Quote Originally Posted by Wesley Mouch View Post
    Agree that annual re-qual course isn't too much of a burden. These days, it could be taken on-line. But its a good idea to remind people of their obligations. The cost of mistakes is very high.

We aren't in a great position to judge -- with our source of information being the press. But I see a lot of difference between Armed Robbery vs. Shoplifting. For starters, one is a crime against a person [[theatening clerk, pointing gun) -- while the other a crime where nobody was threatened at all.

I think the bank meets the 'imminent danger of death, great bodily harm or sexual assault, or think there is a similar danger to someone else' test.
    the bank robber was shot as he was exiting the bank, from the facts as known from the reporting[[ which is to say, I'm adding your duly noted grain of salt there). with those facts, it seems the imminent threat had passed. He was fleeing the scene when the citizen unloaded.
    Last edited by bailey; October-08-15 at 09:27 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by bailey View Post
    the bank robber was shot as he was exiting the bank, from the facts as known from the reporting[[ which is to say, I'm adding your duly noted grain of salt there). with those facts, it seems the imminent threat had passed. He was fleeing the scene when the citizen unloaded.
    I don't trust gun-wielding bank robbers to keep their gun holstered as they flee. Would you feel there was no imminent threat if he'd decided to carjack at gunpoint?

Here's the critical fact: freep: "Mann never returned fire, though his Colt Mark IV was found to be loaded."

He has just used the gun: freep: "...Mann took out a semi-automatic handgun and pointed it at her, according to the complaint".

I think the possibility that someone else would be threatened was very high. If you brandish a gun in a bank, I think armed citizens should shoot you to protect others.

Quote Originally Posted by Wesley Mouch View Post
    I don't trust gun-wielding bank robbers to keep their gun holstered as they flee. Would you feel there was no imminent threat if he'd decided to carjack at gunpoint?

Here's the critical fact: freep: "Mann never returned fire, though his Colt Mark IV was found to be loaded."

He has just used the gun: freep: "...Mann took out a semi-automatic handgun and pointed it at her, according to the complaint".

I think the possibility that someone else would be threatened was very high. If you brandish a gun in a bank, I think armed citizens should shoot you to protect others.
    Again, lack of charges against the citizen would tend to confirm this. As far as annual retraining of CPL holders, I agree...right after we start annually certifying drivers with actual driving tests. I'm a lot more worried about the absolute shit driving I see around here than I am around CPL holders.

Quote Originally Posted by Gpwrangler View Post
    Again, lack of charges against the citizen would tend to confirm this. As far as annual retraining of CPL holders, I agree...right after we start annually certifying drivers with actual driving tests. I'm a lot more worried about the absolute shit driving I see around here than I am around CPL holders.
    I'd start with re-training this woman from Clarkston, who didn't seem to mind endangering who knows how many people in her effort to murder a shoplifter, who was no threat to her or anyone else.

http://www.freep.com/story/news/loca...epot/73468588/

I suspect that every time one of these gun fetishists takes a shot at some criminal, many others get so turned on that they are just itching to do the same.
    Last edited by DetroiterOnTheWestCoast; October-08-15 at 01:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroiterOnTheWestCoast View Post
    I'd start with re-training this woman from Clarkston, who didn't seem to mind endangering who knows how many people in her effort to murder a shoplifter, who was no threat to her or anyone else.

http://www.freep.com/story/news/loca...epot/73468588/

I suspect that every time one of these gun fetishists takes a shot at some criminal, many others get so turned on that they are just itching to do the same.
    Well if you don't like guns you are living in the right state.

i do agree that shooting at a vehicle in a parking lot does not seem smart however.
    Last edited by Gpwrangler; October-08-15 at 04:26 PM.

He didn't "start blasting". He hit what he was aiming at. He didn't hit anything else. There was no "crossfire" like on TV. It was a refreshing change from the half-dozen dead citizens I hear about on the news every morning. People today are so concerned about criminals' rights that they put up with terrorism and live in fear. But it's a Detroit phenomenon. Northern suburbs don't have nearly as many of these issues. What do you think would happen to a carjacker in Davison, for instance? Bet they don't try that shit up there. The "precedence" would probably be the same down here if a few of these guys ran into customers with balls like this fucker did.
    Michigan law states that use of force with a firearm is only authorized when a person feels his life is reasonably in grave danger and does not apply to defense of property. In this case stopping a robber. Read up on the idiot that played Jane Wayne in Auburn Hills recently.

Quote Originally Posted by Detroit Stylin View Post
    Michigan law states that use of force with a firearm is only authorized when a person feels his life is reasonably in grave danger and does not apply to defense of property. In this case stopping a robber. Read up on the idiot that played Jane Wayne in Auburn Hills recently.
    I believe MI law also condones use where there is a similar threat to others. I agree that as the suspect flees, the danger is passing. Yet this person was clearly willing to point the gun at innocents to accomplish their goal.

They may have been fleeing, but it isn't much a leap to assume that the robber was likely to threaten others with deadly force in the parking lot. I don't see that the threat disappears simply because the robber accomplished the first part of their illegal act and was fleeing. In fact, I think there motivation to use the pistol increases in direct proportion to the proximity of police and other guards -- who also would have been at risk.

Quote Originally Posted by Detroit Stylin View Post
    The subject of The original thread has not been charged with anything. I would guess shooting a carjacker who is pointing a gun at you would be justified also. Don't worry, you still have the option of giving them your car.

The subject of The original thread has not been charged with anything. I would guess shooting a carjacker who is pointing a gun at you would be justified also. Don't worry, you still have the option of giving them your car.
    That's probably the option I would use if there wasn't a threat to my life or someone's else's in the vicinity. I have insurance on my car, after the dust settles I'll go buy another one.

Up until the moment when the crack-addled brain shoots you as you exit your car.

Don't assume that carjackers are rational actors.

This video is from October 2nd and so might contain some stale information. At 3:12 they begin discussing the subject of this thread.

Bystander Opens Fire On Shoplifter
    When one woman witnessed a shoplifter fleeing the scene of a Home Depot in Michigan she did what any of us would definitely not do, she started shooting at them. She was concealed carry licensed. The shooting happened in the store's parking lot at around 2 :00 P.M. when Home Depot security was chasing a shoplifter in his 40s who jumped into a waiting dark SUV.

Cenk Uygur and Hannah Cranston [[Think Tank) hosts of The Young Turks discuss. Should this woman be prosecuted for shooting at a petty thief running away from from Home Depot? Let us know in the comments.

Read more here: http://www.freep.com/story/news/local...

A concealed-carry license holder is now cooperating with police after she opened fire on a shoplifter who was fleeing a Home Depot on Tuesday afternoon, Auburn Hills Police said.

The shooting happened in the store’s parking lot at around 2 p.m., when Home Depot security was chasing a shoplifter in his 40s who jumped into a waiting dark SUV, said Lt. Jill McDonnell, an Auburn Hills police spokeswoman.

But when the SUV began to pull away, a 48-year-old woman suddenly began firing shots at the fleeing vehicle. The vehicle escaped – but possibly has a flat tire, McDonnell said.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimaz View Post
    This video is from October 2nd and so might contain some stale information. At 3:12 they begin discussing the subject of this thread.

Bystander Opens Fire On Shoplifter
    The Home Depot case was not the subject of this thread.

That's probably the option I would use if there wasn't a threat to my life or someone's else's in the vicinity. I have insurance on my car, after the dust settles I'll go buy another one.
    That's your choice, if you live through it. Good luck walking home down Warren Ave or wherever they leave you. And good luck getting insurance after a loss or two like that.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4