Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default The Pink Elephant

Where was the Pink Elephant bar? My mother-in-law just mentioned that her father used to own it in the 1940's. She had never mentioned it before, so we would love to know more about it. Was it in Delray? What street?

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Frey View Post
    Where was the Pink Elephant bar? My mother-in-law just mentioned that her father used to own it in the 1940's. She had never mentioned it before, so we would love to know more about it. Was it in Delray? What street?
    It was on Fort St., just West of Dearborn St. [[around the corner) on the South side. The building is still there, but the metal Pink Elephant sign, outlined in pink neon, is gone.

Hi Honky Tonk.

Here? Or where Reflections is?

Name:  pink.jpg
Views: 1751
Size:  27.3 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Frey View Post
    Hi Honky Tonk.

Here? Or where Reflections is?

Name:  pink.jpg
Views: 1751
Size:  27.3 KB
    I'm pretty sure the one you have circled. I vaguely remember going up a small landing to go through the door. I would have a 5 spot in my pocket, put gas in the car, add to the already existent buzz, and wake up the next day with $1.35 left over. Next time I drive past it I'll take a closer look.

That would be great! My mother-in-law has Alzheimer's. She has forgotten a lot of things, but one really weird part of her condition is that she will suddenly remember things from 50-60 years ago. She had never mentioned the Pink Elephant until Saturday, when she heard that I headed into Delray for a research project I'm working on. She talked about one uncle living on South Street, and another on W. Jefferson. Then she through out the gem that her dad owned 'the bar' in Delray. When we asked, she said "The Pink Elephant".
    Name:  pink2.JPG
Views: 1650
Size:  35.6 KB

Just found an out-of-date listing for the Pink Elephant at 10011 W. Fort, which is where Reflections is now. Could the bar been down the block in the 1940's, then the business moved to the corner?
    http://www.trueyellow.com/US/Detroit...11369/info.asp

I've got vague recollections of my mother bringing me into this place during the day, and her playing pool against the night-shift steelmakers.

Before she quit drinking...and became one of the founding members of the Holy Redeemer Al-Anon social club.

The Pink Elephant was indeed in the building that is currently labeled as "Reflections" I was in there once or twice under both names.

Quote Originally Posted by BillyBBrew View Post
    The Pink Elephant was indeed in the building that is currently labeled as "Reflections"
    Thanks for the confirmation!

Name:  pink3.JPG
Views: 1472
Size:  46.9 KB

Does anyone have any old photos of the Pink Elephant? I would love to see it with the old sign.