Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Two of our sports teams have gone downhill

With both the Lions and the Tigers loosing yesterday and with the Lions having lost both games so far and the Tigers still in that infamous streak, this is only a sure sign that they're both about to head downhill.

We know that the Pistons won't help, but it's only a couple weeks before the Red Wings start, so we still don't know that.
    Last edited by mtburb; September-21-15 at 09:29 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by mtburb View Post
    If this continues, then Detroit may have a 1% chance of even loosing one of it's teams permanently.
    Please explain. Why would we lose one of our sports teams?

It's all about money, not wins and loses. For every winner there is a loser. Not every year is going to be a winning year.

That's why losing [[money-wise) teams are often subsidized through profit sharing, for example, the Arizona Coyotes in the NHL.

If this continues, then Detroit may have a 1% chance of even loosing one of it's teams permanently.
    LOL I'm taking this as tongue in cheek. If Chicago isn't losing the Cubs, ever, then we will never let go of any of our sports teams, ever, not even the Pistons.

Over the years, the Lions have had a ton of talent, but have never been able to put it all together.

Buddy Parker and Bobby Layne, where are you?

We know that the Pistons won't help,
    There's a pretty good shot that the Pistons make the playoffs this season. Which is better than at least two Detroit teams...

Wings are competitive, but a playoff spot is no longer a foregone conclusion.

The Lions were on the top of the hill once? News to me.

Quote Originally Posted by jmarie View Post
    The Lions were on the top of the hill once? News to me.
    Think 1950s: Bobby Layne, Doak Walker, Leon Hart, Les Bingaman

Back in the days when giants strode the turf at Briggs Stadium.

Quote Originally Posted by Hermod View Post
    Think 1950s: Bobby Layne, Doak Walker, Leon Hart, Les Bingaman

Back in the days when giants strode the turf at Briggs Stadium.
    Before my time
    I knew they won championships before the Super Bowl came to be, but I couldn't have even pinpointed a decade. My only memories of a decent team is the Barry Sanders era.

The one thing about this city and sports is that when it comes to the Lions and Tigers, it doesn't matter, because the support will be there forever. The Wings, to a little lesser extent, follow closely behind. I feel like the only team in this town that has a truly fickle fan base is the Pistons. When they aren't relevant, there isn't ANYBODY at those games. Maybe a move to downtown would change that, who knows.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeg19 View Post
    The one thing about this city and sports is that when it comes to the Lions and Tigers, it doesn't matter, because the support will be there forever. The Wings, to a little lesser extent, follow closely behind. I feel like the only team in this town that has a truly fickle fan base is the Pistons. When they aren't relevant, there isn't ANYBODY at those games. Maybe a move to downtown would change that, who knows.
    Well, the Tigers, Lions, and Red Wings were charter members of their leagues and have a longer association and a whole lot of tradition. The Pistons not so much.

The Pistons are one of the oldest franchises in the NBA. They were the Fort Wayne Pistons before they moved to Detroit in the late 50's so they are charter members and have tradition just like the others. Now a winning tradition that compares to the Tigers and Red Wings, they come up short, but they've won more titles than the Lions in totality. They all might have down years this season. Nothing leads me to believe that the Pistons or Red Wings are playoff contenders at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by Cincinnati_Kid View Post
    The Pistons are one of the oldest franchises in the NBA. They were the Fort Wayne Pistons before they moved to Detroit in the late 50's so they are charter members and have tradition just like the others. Now a winning tradition that compares to the Tigers and Red Wings, they come up short, but they've won more titles than the Lions in totality. They all might have down years this season. Nothing leads me to believe that the Pistons or Red Wings are playoff contenders at this point.
    While I agree with your post, I don't agree with your statement that the Wings and Pistons aren't playoff contenders.

The Wings are returning most of their roster and have added a couple skilled guys to the team. They took Tampa [[eventual Cup runner up) to 7 games, and all the young guys on the team have 1 more year of experience under their belt. They aren't only a contender, they will be in the playoffs [[again) and I think they can get past the first round this year. Their division sucks besides Tampa and Montreal, so barring massive injuries, they're in. Guarantee it.

The Pistons, yes, they suck. But considering they play in the HORRIFIC eastern conference where there are usually 2-4 teams that make the playoffs with losing records, they, against all reasoning, could make the playoffs. They would get murdered in the first round, but still get in possibly.

The only two teams not making the playoffs this year for sure are the Tigers [[obviously out for awhile now) and the Lions [[no chance in hell) considering they basically need to go 10-4 the rest of the season just to make it to the "benchmark" 10-6 playoff spot. Not happening.

Face it folks, Lions, Tigers and Pistons SUCKS!!! The Red Wings are not!

When is the last time both the Tigers and the Lions were in last place?

I sort of look at the long term view of the team.

Team on the rise - Detroit Pistons - They're not championship contenders but they're a lot better and lot more entertaining team then they've been for quite a few years. Van Gundy has turned over most of the roster, and while they're young, a lot of the guys have significant upside, and while it hurt to lose Monroe, the starting lineup should be a lot more cohesive as they fit together well. I think Johnson is going to surprise a lot people, Drummond is going to keep getting better, and Reggie Jackson will do well though he'll continue to have growing pains. They should be able to land some top free agents within the next year or two to take the next step.

Team that's stable - Detroit Red Wings - They're probably going to settle in around the same place as last year. The salary cap limits their ability to go for it every year. The core is getting older but new, young guys are getting better. The uncertainty at goaltender is unsettling, as it's the most important position in a lot of ways, and there are times when you think you have two stars and other times when you think you have nobody. I think when they get close to moving into the new arena, you'll see them more aggressive in the market, but for this year, expect the status quo.

Team on the decline - Detroit Tigers - It was a good run, but 2013 was the best chance for them to win. Since then they've lost 40% [[or more depending how you look at it) of what was the best rotation in baseball, and their superstar hitters have gotten two years older in the mean time. I like that they finally went out and started to replenish the farm system, but my fear is that they just turn all that around and plow it into trying one more big hurrah to get the old man his championship, but I don't think it's going to work. Personally, I'd rather wait for the title to happen after [[if rumors are true) Gilbert eventually becomes the owner. I can't imagine Gilbert will buy the team and let it go fallow for the first fifteen years that he owns it.

Team of utter despair - Detroit Lions - Just for kicks, I went on the Lions website and looked at their draft history from 2000 to 2015. It's hopeless.

I eyes is on the college football team that can win bowl games and Rose Bowls in this 21st Century, That Michigan State Spartans.

Lions could still make the playoffs, although I doubt it, though it's not all on him, I just don't trust Stafford and Lombardi to get it done, and the OL is porous and the defense has taken a step back. Indianapolis started 0-2 last year and made it. Ironically, they are 0-2 again this year, but they play in a weak division. Lions have a very tough schedule this year. The perks you get for going 11-5, I guess.
    Last edited by Cincinnati_Kid; September-23-15 at 01:36 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cincinnati_Kid View Post
    Lions could still make the playoffs, although I doubt it, though it's not all on him, I just don't trust Stafford and Lombardi to get it done, and the OL is porous and the defense has taken a step back. Indianapolis started 0-2 last year and made it. Ironically, they are 0-2 again this year, but they play in a weak division. Lions have a very tough schedule this year. The perks you get for going 11-5, I guess.
    Nowadays, the toughness of their schedule has very little to do with last years record. The NFL rotates scheduling such that they play their normal six games against their divisional opponents, then they play the full slate of one other NFC division and an AFC division. That's fourteen games that are predetermined, meaning that they would have played all those games regardless of their record. And, all the other NFC north teams play the same teams. It's tough because they play two tough divisions [[AFC West and NFC West), where last year one of their divisions was the horrendous NFC South.

The only part that comes into play with strength of schedule is that they play two of the remaining 'same place' teams based on last years record, so their other two games are against teams that finished second in their division last season. Ironically, both of those teams are struggling [[Eagles and Saints).

Now, I know many will argue that playing three of their first four on the road is a 'tougher' schedule, and while that's true, it means that they'll be at home a lot later in the year, plus they also have an away game that's on a neutral field.

Back in the 1990's, when they'd bounce back and forth between 10-11 win seasons followed by a 5-6 win stinker, there was definitely more strength of schedule in play, as only your eight divisional games were slotted. Since the realignment to eight divisions, that's been largely negated.

Quote Originally Posted by jmarie View Post
    Before my time
    I knew they won championships before the Super Bowl came to be, but I couldn't have even pinpointed a decade. My only memories of a decent team is the Barry Sanders era.
    They won the NFL championship in 1957

Quote Originally Posted by sirrealone View Post
    Nowadays, the toughness of their schedule has very little to do with last years record. The NFL rotates scheduling such that they play their normal six games against their divisional opponents, then they play the full slate of one other NFC division and an AFC division. That's fourteen games that are predetermined, meaning that they would have played all those games regardless of their record. And, all the other NFC north teams play the same teams. It's tough because they play two tough divisions [[AFC West and NFC West), where last year one of their divisions was the horrendous NFC South.

The only part that comes into play with strength of schedule is that they play two of the remaining 'same place' teams based on last years record, so their other two games are against teams that finished second in their division last season. Ironically, both of those teams are struggling [[Eagles and Saints).

Now, I know many will argue that playing three of their first four on the road is a 'tougher' schedule, and while that's true, it means that they'll be at home a lot later in the year, plus they also have an away game that's on a neutral field.

Back in the 1990's, when they'd bounce back and forth between 10-11 win seasons followed by a 5-6 win stinker, there was definitely more strength of schedule in play, as only your eight divisional games were slotted. Since the realignment to eight divisions, that's been largely negated.
    Good points, still a tough row to hoe for the 'Leos'

Quote Originally Posted by 48307 View Post
    Wings are competitive, but a playoff spot is no longer a foregone conclusion.
    Do you even watch hockey? How many times have the Wings been told they are done? They are going on 26 years in a row in the playoffs. It is a foregone conclusion!

Need to bring back the USFL & Michigan Panthers!!!