Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Michigan Avenue - Corktown

Does anyone know what is going on on Michigan Avenue? I drove down it today and the center line was torn up exposing an old rail. I apologize for the lack of pictures!

Awaiting an answer to your post, as I have no idea. That is some of the worst pavement in the City. It would be nice to see that it is finally being repaired.

The old rail is from the street cars that used to run along Michigan Ave. It just appears that they are smoothing things down and topping off with asphalt. They aren't removing the old rails, just trying to smooth out the road - go figure

Perhaps someone, somewhere announced US 12 Rail and no outlets ever reported on that?

I am trying to wait and see what the final outcome of the repairs will be before I go into a total rage. Will they [[MDOT) repair the pavement at the intersection of Trumbull and Michigan? That's my biggest concern. Right now it just appears that they are repaving the left-turn lane where the old street car tracks are located. If that's all they are going to do then I will go into a rage and call the director of MDOT and give him/her a piece of my mind. Until then, I'll sit tight and wait for a favorable outcome.

Replace all those bricks with regular pavement—but leaveroom for potential light rail lines to eventually be built.

^^ How about replace all that pavement with bricks? The bricks have lasted decades, while the payment, what? a few years at a time?

Quote Originally Posted by downtownguy View Post
    ^^ How about replace all that pavement with bricks? The bricks have lasted decades, while the payment, what? a few years at a time?
    Yes! I second that notion! Bricks have the ability to expand as opposed to pavement.

Quote Originally Posted by royce View Post
    I am trying to wait and see what the final outcome of the repairs will be before I go into a total rage. Will they [[MDOT) repair the pavement at the intersection of Trumbull and Michigan? That's my biggest concern. Right now it just appears that they are repaving the left-turn lane where the old street car tracks are located. If that's all they are going to do then I will go into a rage and call the director of MDOT and give him/her a piece of my mind. Until then, I'll sit tight and wait for a favorable outcome.
    Well, it appears that no work is being done to fix the horrible condition that is the intersection of Michigan and Trumbull. I guess I'm going to have to let the director of MDOT know how I feel. I'm mean really, just resurface the median on Michigan to cover up the streetcar rails and that's it? There's still a big ass pothole on Michigan and Sixth Street in the left lane heading west. MDOT couldn't even patch that. I'm livid.

Quote Originally Posted by royce View Post
    Well, it appears that no work is being done to fix the horrible condition that is the intersection of Michigan and Trumbull. I guess I'm going to have to let the director of MDOT know how I feel. I'm mean really, just resurface the median on Michigan to cover up the streetcar rails and that's it? There's still a big ass pothole on Michigan and Sixth Street in the left lane heading west. MDOT couldn't even patch that. I'm livid.
    Even the buses slow to a crawl driving over that crumbled pavement.