Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default K B White school on Charles St in the 1950's

In the late 50's, I went to Katherine B White Elementary school on Charles St. near Bloom St. on the East side of Detroit. It was a big building, built in 1920, divided into two parts, "White school" proper, and "White Special," for kids with various disabilities, cerebral palsy and such. There was virtually no interaction between the two groups. Many of the disabled kids used crutches and wore helmets in case they fell down. I did not recognize any of them from the neighborhood, so I guess they came from all around town.

White school was racially integrated. Because of the neighborhood demographics, most of the students were white. Many European national origins were represented: Poles, Irish, French, German, etc. My best friends there were George "Sonny" Konvinski and Eugene Genest. Some surnames were, Ritchie, Vengris, Frishcosy, Carter, Manczyk, Filipski, Peters, Ogonowski, Klester, Clay, many others.

I was on the school safety patrol [[crossing guards) and also the "Air Raid Patrol". In the latter capacity, we learned some first aid, and when there was an air raid alarm, we would go to assigned classrooms of little kids and pull the shades down [[I guess that might have had some benefit, to prevent possible flying glass from the windows shattering from a distant blast.)

Teachers I remember were Mrs Martin [[Science), Mrs Kass and Mrs. Mangini [[Social studies), Mr. Bernstein [[Art), Mt. Tomberg [[Library), Miss Curtiss [[3rd grade), Mr. Cochran [[Gym), Mrs Ottinger [[Music), Mrs Harcourt [[4th grade), Mrs Schultz [[5th grade), and Mrs Brightwell [[6th grade). I remember all of them well. It was, I would say, a very good school, with good teachers. The principal's name, if I remember right, was Mr. Pavsner.

There was the janitor, whom the teachers would call "Mr. Dyer," but we kids knew as "Lester." He was crossing guard at Buffalo & Charles, the busiest intersection. His perpetual joke was to call the little kids "grandpa and "grandma." He would come around and wind/adjust the wall clocks. When he had to mop up some puke on the floor, he would first bend over and pretend to smell it, which the older kids found amusing. We could relate to him.

Anyone else here attend that school?

Katherine B. White Elementary School 5161 Charles Street built in 1920 Detroit Public Schools Detroit, MI.Designed by Malcomson & Higginbotham.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

I go by this school often. Is it named for E.B. White's wife, who was a children's author herself?

If not, who is it named for? If so, what was it named before it was named for her?

Default The White Bugle was the school newspaper

My mother went to school there in the 1930's and my brother and me went there from the period 1955-6 to 1960-61.

Name:  the White Bugle_0003.jpg
Views: 3673
Size:  158.0 KBName:  White School grad 1960 -2.jpg
Views: 3738
Size:  169.5 KBName:  Mrs. Cass -2.jpg
Views: 3639
Size:  89.5 KBName:  White school classroom.jpg
Views: 4000
Size:  69.8 KB

I do not believe there is any connection to EB White's wife. Katherine B White was a Detroit educator in the early part of the 20th century.

Thanks, Alan.

Thanks, CassTechGrad, for the wonderful old photos/documents. I never thought I would see a photo of Mrs Cass and a classroom scene from those days. It brings a lot back.
    When I was attending KB White, I was chosen for a weekly science enrichment program in which another kid and I went to Cass Tech for a few hours a week and messed around in the science lab there. I remember making bromine from potassium bromide. My mom was in awe of Cass Tech and hoped that I would go there some day, but by that time, we had left Detroit.

Many good memories at white school during the 70's. Katherine B. White was a principal in the DPS.

https://books.google.com/books?id=It...ncipal&f=false

http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg...&GRid=84709544

Default We all recited the Pledge of Allegiance every day.

AlanF: One of the names you have in your “best friends” list is Frishcosy. Eleanor Frishcosy was in my class and we graduated together in January 1961 as shown in the White Bugle image I posted and she was the class president. She had a younger sister Kathy and an older sister Elizabeth. I was also on the safety and air raid patrol and I still have the certificates of service.

Name:  air raid-2.jpg
Views: 3612
Size:  267.6 KBName:  safety-2.jpg
Views: 3709
Size:  259.5 KB

CassTechGrad: Wow, you are certainly better documented than I-- all I have are some memories of questionable reliability.
    I knew Elizabeth Frishcosy and her older brother Frank. They lived in the projects. I believe I also might have known James Choranziak, or at least the name is familiar.
    You and I were not in the same grade, so probably did not have any classes together, but I have no doubt that we could have seen each other in the halls, assemblies, school library, outdoors, etc.
    I don't explicitly remember saying the pledge every day, but I'm sure that it was such a standard ritual, that I just didn't give it much thought. When I got to the 8th grade, in a school in Warren, the teacher actually had us read from the Bible every day-- and this was a public school!

I pretty much liked all my teachers at White, except possibly for Mrs. Brightwell, who was strict and would yell at you for everything. Being a science nerd, I liked Mrs Martin's science class a lot, and I rather liked the eccentric librarian, Mr Tomberg. Oh, I forgot to mention Mrs Roese [[pronounced "racy") who taught "auditorium," which was more or less a study hall. Sometimes we did skits there. She was quite Victorian. I remember once a kid said "shut up!" to another participant in a skit and she stopped it and insisted he say "be still!" instead. I'm sure more memories will be coming back now...

Default Words of Wisdom

In Auditorium class I remember everyone would take turns going on the stage to recite the “Words of Wisdom” many times. Here it is during the graduation ceremony in January,1961.

Name:  Grad 1961 - Copy.jpg
Views: 3781
Size:  67.8 KB

I lived down the street from Mike "Mickey" Krasinski. My mother attended White elem and Cleveland Intermediate.

graduated from white elementary around 1957. I knew most of the people that Alan F mentioned my nick name was Sonny and I lived next door to the Genest family.I knew a Frank Frishcosy and a Larry Sepala. Don't really know hoe I got to this site but was sure glad I found it. It brought bac a lot of memories of my childhood.I've lived in a lot of different places on Dertroit's Eastside.Thanks for bringing back a lot of good memories.Will write more later on.

Alan F. this is Sonny just joined the group and am learning how to get around. It was good to hear about White elemantary.

are you Alan Filipski? Its me Sonny good to hear from you

This was so nice to see. I love these old school postings. Thanks!

Alan F. Are you Alan Filipski? If you are it,s me George "Sonny" Konvinski.I found this site a few months ago but had trouble logging on

Quote Originally Posted by sny k View Post
    Alan F. Are you Alan Filipski? If you are it,s me George "Sonny" Konvinski.I found this site a few months ago but had trouble logging on

Looks like he hasn't posted anything since March of 2016

I went to school with Frank Frishcosy at Cleveland Jr. HS.Name:  scan0023.jpg
Views: 2674
Size:  177.2 KB