Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default "Imported from Detroit" now "Imported from Mexico"? Chrylser 200 to be made in Mexico

Remember the show-stopping Chrysler 200 "Imported from Detroit" Super Bowl ad with Eminem and church choir that made all feel warm and fuzzy?

"...It's as much about where it's from as who it's for.
    Now we're from Detroit..."
    https://youtu.be/SKL254Y_jtc

From what I read here the proposed Fiat-Chrysler / UAW contract calls for the 200's production to be moved to Toluca Mexico. Dodge Ram production will move from Warren truck to Sterling Heights bumping out 200 production there.

Hasta Luego Chrysler 200 and your "Imported from Detroit" brand?

Sources said production of the Ram 1500 would move from Warren Truck to Sterling Heights Assembly during the life of the proposed four-year contract. As a result of that move, the Chrysler 200 sedan would move from Sterling Heights Assembly to FCA’s assembly plant in Toluca, Mexico.

Ratification votes were expected to begin next week.

All told, FCA would commit to $5.3 billion in U.S. plant investments, the Detroit Free Press reported today.

It's broken down in somedetail at All Par.

http://news.allpar.com/index.php/201...-dropped-30024

Instead of Eminem, will they use Ricky Martin?

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    He is Puerto Rican so probably not.

You know where this is going already,SUVs and the large vehicles are still going to be manufactured here because they have a higher profit margin according to the write up.

What happened when gas went high to the SUV market? and will again when the notice will say,due to the high cost of fuel the SUV market has stagnated so we will be forced to shutter the plants or because of sluggish sales in order to sell them cheaper but maintain profit we are forced to move that production to Mexico also.

Like I said Trump wants to build the wall to keep us in not others out.

We as country are going to die either a slow death or a quick one unless they either get the union situation under control or levy heavy import taxes into this country to where it is no longer profitable for companies to cross borders.

I think the quickest and easiest is to jack up the import fees,as it is now it is averaging at least 3 major corporations employing tens of thousands are leaving quarterly.

Geez the auto industry has been global for decades. Welcome to last week.

Quote Originally Posted by Gpwrangler View Post
    True,but they built the plants where demand was required not actually moved or relocated them there.Bit of a difference.

Browsing new Fords this evening with a friend [[he was looking at Fords not me) I noticed they are printing on the sticker what percentage of the vehicles are made in the US,I believe one listed 60% US and the rest was listed as Canada.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    True,but they built the plants where demand was required not actually moved or relocated them there.Bit of a difference.

Browsing new Fords this evening with a friend [[he was looking at Fords not me) I noticed they are printing on the sticker what percentage of the vehicles are made in the US,I believe one listed 60% US and the rest was listed as Canada.
    Those canucks! Destroying our very economic fiber!
    Last edited by Honky Tonk; September-17-15 at 08:47 PM.

I don't mean to jack the thread... but since the Dart and 200 were brought up, why do domestic front wheel drive cars still just drive like crap compared to Asian and European? I will throw a exception to the Focus but it is what it is, a honest entry level car.

Quote Originally Posted by ABetterDetroit View Post
    I don't mean to jack the thread... but since the Dart and 200 were brought up, why do domestic front wheel drive cars still just drive like crap compared to Asian and European? I will throw a exception to the Focus but it is what it is, a honest entry level car.
    Because front wheel drive IS crap. It was a cost reduction, made to sound like a feature, and we bought it.

Jeb Bush. Jeb speaks Spanish and would probably support the TPP too.

Chrysler Corp. = Fiat, a beneficiary of the Chrysler bailout now moving production to Mexico.

Because front wheel drive IS crap. It was a cost reduction, made to sound like a feature, and we bought it.
    Okay. You know it's crap, I know it's crap. but that doesn't explain why the worst driving and totally over priced ones are from what's left of the big three. They still can't compete. Not good on a few different levels. Nothing but dull high priced product.

Okay. You know it's crap, I know it's crap. but that doesn't explain why the worst driving and totally over priced ones are from what's left of the big three. They still can't compete. Not good on a few different levels. Nothing but dull high priced product.
    Couldn't tell you. I buy all wheel or rear drive vehicles, mostly heavier duty stuff, from the Big 3 and never have a problem but then again I actually take care of the vehicle too. Most of the front drive shit around Detroit is beat to piss and falling apart from neglect, I guess you get what you pay for. These vehicles are light duty and don't hold up, Toyota and Kia are no better. Doesn't help that people run over curbs and potholes for 100k miles and drive on under inflated tires and never get them serviced. Most cars I've repaired failed from neglect or abuse. Brands don't matter; most of the parts are globally sourced from the same suppliers anyway. It ain't Ford vs Toyota like it was in the 80s.

Quote Originally Posted by oladub View Post
    Jeb Bush. Jeb speaks Spanish and would probably support the TPP too.

Chrysler Corp. = Fiat, a beneficiary of the Chrysler bailout now moving production to Mexico.
    Chrysler is just rearranging where their cars will be built. Cherokee moves to Believedre, IL, Dart/200 move to Mexico, Ram moves to Warren, and Sterling Heights gets the new Grand Wagoneer. Ram had previously been built in Mexico. People make it sound like Warren and Sterling Heights are closing!

Cars and trucks built in Mexico are built faster and far better quality then in a U.S. U.A.W. plants. Through in cheaper and how can you blame the Auto companies?

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post

My best buddy's dad worked at a Ford plant in Canada in the 60's. We all lived in SW then. Don't recall that being a big deal then.

Quote Originally Posted by Wheels View Post
    Cars and trucks built in Mexico are built faster and far better quality then in a U.S. U.A.W. plants. Through in cheaper and how can you blame the Auto companies?
    You can't blame companies for wanting cheaper foreign labor. We can blame politicians who structure things so companies have that option and whomever votes for them. I thought it was especially stupid to bail out Chrysler with taxpayer dollars [[twice) and then sell it to a foreign company. That amounted to subsidizing a foreign company, Fiat, which has now chosen to send one production line to Mexico.

Low labor costs and fewer tariffs are the swing factors. A worker in Mexico costs car companies an average of $8 an hour, including wages and benefits. That compares with $58 in the U.S. for General Motors and $38 at Volkswagen's factory in Tennessee, the lowest hourly cost in the U.S., according to the Center for Automotive Research, an industry think tank in Ann Arbor, Michigan. German auto workers cost about $52 an hour.
    -http://www.nytimes.com/aponline/2015/04/21/us/ap-us-making-cars-in-mexico.html?_r=0

Auto trade with Canada is different. Equal numbers of cars are allowed to be traded tariff free. That's the trade model we should impose on all other countries.

Which is fine and understood by most people, but Chrysler was the one claiming otherwise with the 200 ad. Of course the backstory to that ad is also one of myth vs reality as it was originally supposed to feature the 300 but then someone noticed it was entirely assembled in Canada at the time and the 200 was subbed in at the last minute.

If they don't want to be mocked for the "false" advertising... then don't build an entire ad campaign and myth about something so glaringly false. Hell, my Subaru built in Indiana has more 'merica in it than most domestics.
    Last edited by bailey; September-18-15 at 08:30 AM.

The only thing crap about front wheel drive are both of your posts. For the average Joe Commuter, FWD's are a safer bet than their machismo counterparts. Don't believe me? After the next major snow fall, take a drive up 75. All you see are RWD SUV's and pick-um' ups dented up from viaducts and GM barriers. Why? Too many purple Kool-Aid commercials about trucks with spinning wheels sliding sideways through pools of mud. As far as "all-y'all wheel drive", unless it's real-time, the only thing it's good for is pulling stumps out of cornfields, or your wife's RWD out of culverts. RWD came and went, except for the last of the good ol' boy holdouts. Now back to our regularly scheduled thread.

The only thing crap about front wheel drive are both of your posts. For the average Joe Commuter, FWD's are a safer bet than their machismo counterparts. Don't believe me? After the next major snow fall, take a drive up 75. All you see are RWD SUV's and pick-um' ups dented up from viaducts and GM barriers. Why? Too many purple Kool-Aid commercials about trucks with spinning wheels sliding sideways through pools of mud. As far as "all-y'all wheel drive", unless it's real-time, the only thing it's good for is pulling stumps out of cornfields, or your wife's RWD out of culverts. RWD came and went, except for the last of the good ol' boy holdouts. Now back to our regularly scheduled thread.
    Your rant only holds water in cold snowy climate. You are not seeing the big picture.

Quote Originally Posted by Wheels View Post
    Your rant only holds water in cold snowy climate. You are not seeing the big picture.
    Please, find me my glasses.....

That's because the average commuter can't drive for shit these days. I know, because every day they almost merge into me without looking or accelerating. I've never damaged a 2wd pickup, 4wd Suburban, awd Volvo or Subaru I've owned by losing control, but then again I really learned to drive a car in all conditions. Kool-aid commercials my ass...
    Last edited by Gpwrangler; September-18-15 at 09:53 AM.

That's because the average commuter can't drive for shit these days. I know, because every day they almost merge into me without looking or accelerating. I've never damaged a 2wd pickup, 4wd Suburban, awd Volvo or Subaru I've owned by losing control, but then again I really learned to drive a car in all conditions. Kool-aid commercials my ass...
    I totally agree with you, which is why I said they're better off with FWD. As far as the truck thing, the same yahoo's that can't find the power button button on a laptop, buy RAM 1500's because they "think" they're "safer", or it makes them a "man". Seriously, do what I suggested, @ the end of the next snowstorm, checkout who hit what and why. Your talking to a guy here who used to go up and down Loveless Pass in severe blizzards.

I totally agree with you, which is why I said they're better off with FWD. As far as the truck thing, the same yahoo's that can't find the power button button on a laptop, buy RAM 1500's because they "think" they're "safer", or it makes them a "man". Seriously, do what I suggested, @ the end of the next snowstorm, checkout who hit what and why. Your talking to a guy here who used to go up and down Loveless Pass in severe blizzards.
    Yep, been up Loveland Pass myself, in a '66 Ford in a blizzard plenty of times. But most of the spun-out cars on 94 from Detroit to port Huron are early-2000s Pontiac Grand Prix or G6s. As a matter of fact, I see them spun into the wall facing backwards during rainstorms usually after a failed "merge".

Those canucks! Destroying our very economic fiber!
    meh,it is something about those red coats that they wear,kinda makes you want to throw a tea bag into the harbor.

I know they are our buds,I just thought it was interesting that they listed point of origin on the sales slip.

What was interesting was the Lincoln cross over? the name used to be luxury but the explorer that was sitting next to it was way more well appointed,kinda like they just stuck a badge on some car.

The 1500 series either ford or GM seem to be a waste,like a car stuck into a truck,I want a truck but it has to look and ride like a car.
    Last edited by Richard; September-18-15 at 01:54 PM.

I would like to meet the engineers, university graduates with more data in each of their phones than NASA had when we sent men to the moon, who designed the Chrysler 200 so that replacing a head lamp requires removing the tire, splash guard, hands the size of a five year old, and two hours of time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast