Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Anyone know this neighborhood? [North Rosedale Park]

We're still thinking Detroit but decided to rent for a while until we see where we want to permanently settle down. Family is real excited about this house. Depending on what you folks and the broker says we could be up there next week to look at it.

http://www.realestateone.com/CLH:100...pres_agent=161

Hell Rid if it were a year from now I would be packing my bags and be living in DETROIT, cant belive a Rosedale Park home for $1300.

That seems to be the monthly rent, Red!

Very substantial home...and still in a decent neighborhood, although a few blocks to a half mile south and west it is ugly. Brightmoor can be a rough place.

But for many blocks around this home, you'd be in one of the toniest subdivisions in town.

Paying for heat is going to suck...check the previous three years with DTE for a guess.

I think Supersport can give you a heads-up on the street scene in this 'hood, isn't this his beat?!

Cheers, Rid, cool to see this develope.

2blocksaway Guest

it is a rental.

it was on the market last fall for 169,900

At 3 am in the morning I tend to skip the details. But that house is twice the house of mine for under $100 bucks a month more.

This home is north of 6 mile, I'm pretty sure that good rosedale park goes down to schoolcraft, so you actually have almost 2 good miles to the south. However I'm not sure the exact borders of Rosedale park. I think this home is out of the borders of rosedale, maybe even out of the borders of north rosedale. Either way, you'd be fine over there. Where are you going to be working/where do your friends live? in my oppinion this neighborhood is not too close to, to much, as far as activities go. You could probabally get a smaller house in a more fun area for the same amount of money.
    Definately go look at it though.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gannon View Post
    That seems to be the monthly rent, Red!

Very substantial home...and still in a decent neighborhood, although a few blocks to a half mile south and west it is ugly. Brightmoor can be a rough place.

But for many blocks around this home, you'd be in one of the toniest subdivisions in town.

Paying for heat is going to suck...check the previous three years with DTE for a guess.

I think Supersport can give you a heads-up on the street scene in this 'hood, isn't this his beat?!

Cheers, Rid, cool to see this develope.

Yeah, after typing that I took a little virtual drive through GoogleMaps, and found one house boarded up six or so blocks directly west...with a small gang of fellows hanging on the corner, occasionally a bad sign.

I stopped after a while, but it was a fun experiment...of exploring a snapshot that might be three years old. If you were buying, Rid, I'd warn you about that sunken part of the lawn by the tree, with that construction barrier over it...looks as if they had significant sewer issues when that Google series was filmed!

Most of the neighborhood looked very well kept. I forgot how gorgeous a neighborhood that is around Outer Drive. I have always loved Rosedale Park, but the juxtaposition with Brightmoor next door is severe!

NOT unlike any of the other great neighborhoods in the city, btw, whether Indian Village or up near 7 Mile and Woodward or where-ever...go a few blocks away in almost any direction and things quickly turn ugly.

Oh yeah, and they didn't put those damn huge rocks on the curb by mistake.

That house is on the curve, I'd bet they've had more than their share of lawn jobs.

Might not be good with the kids and pets...

crawford Guest

Quote Originally Posted by 2blocksaway View Post
    it is a rental.

it was on the market last fall for 169,900
    $1,300 a month rent on the West Side of Detroit??

I thought that was the sales price!

I pay less in NYC, and my place is beautiful, and safe [[though small).

At that price, you can rent an entire small house in walking distance to downtown Birmingham.

Or if you only prefer Detroit, you could rent something in Palmer Woods, or a giant loft in downtown Detroit.

Rosedale Park IS a nice-looking neighborhood, and has quality homes on nice-looking streets, BUT it is unsafe and in decline. You cannot take an evening stroll in these parts, and you are surrounded by some of the worst neighborhoods in the city.

I would not rent in an unsafe neighborhood, regardless of the rent. To have safety concerns at a rent of $1,300 is just insane. You obviously have an income that would allow you to rent in any neighborhood in the metro area. Of all the areas, this would be your preferred choice?

Look to Palmer Woods if you are only looking at city limits. $1,300/month is doable in Palmer Woods right now, and the area is safer, with very good private patrols.

If you are not tied to the city, you can get the same homes as in Rosedale Park in cities along the Woodward corridor [[Huntington Woods, Pleasant Ridge, Royal Oak), and you can get something decent at that rent. More urban and walkable nowadays too, especially if you factor in safety and nearby amenities in your determination of walkability.

Two homes currently in Palmer Woods are for rent. $ 3000 & $ 2500 per month plus all utilities which should run $500-1000 per month. A real nice place is $ 2500-4500 per month.

Rosedale or green acres, also have nice houses. But watch out for utilitiy bills and remember Detroit has a utility biil tax of approx. 6% on gas, electric, and phone.

Thanks to everyone for the responses. We arn't so much committed to anything in Detroit but I want to come home even after reading the horror stories. Guess call it my missing Detroit for decades or mid life crisis LOL. Doctor has told me I have to get to a cooler climate and old city home provides that. No career plans. I receive a disability check from the VA and draw a pension from Atlanta Police. Wife is a part time waitress to have something to do.

Oh Detroitkid.....believe it or not my only friends in Detroit after this many years are in this forum. Once I get there I want to meet as many as I can get.

Drive around the neighborhood at different times of the day and evening, see if folks are going to work, hanging out on the streets, talk to the neighbors, they will tell you about the stability of the area as well as any major problems with the house. Does everyone run into their homes before dark, is dope being sold on the street corners? Go luck with your search for homes, this one may be the one with your name on it.

That is always my test: In the middle of the day walk around the neighborhood and see if you feel comfortable. The fact that there are rough areas a couple blocks away does not bother me too much. To me that is just city life. All that really matters are your immediate neighbors. That's just my opinion.

Rick that's my thoughts. As long as my home is safe with precautions I'm good. When I'm in the car locked doors and a carry permit should take care of it.

Target is upper left corner, just below the words "Santa Maria", corner lot.

EXDETROITER2 Guest

That is not a safe area. You would be walking distance from Christine Beatty and there are postings on here about four guys attempting to rob her in front of her home, in the very area your considering. My advice is look elsewhere, but nonetheless welcome back!

crawford Guest

Quote Originally Posted by pkbroch View Post
    Two homes currently in Palmer Woods are for rent. $ 3000 & $ 2500 per month plus all utilities which should run $500-1000 per month. A real nice place is $ 2500-4500 per month.
    LOL, sure. Try and pump your property values.

You can buy in Palmer Woods for 200k or less right now; don't tell us the market rate for a rental is $54,000 a year.

You could rent an estate in Bloomfield Hills proper right now for $54,000 a year.

I say rent it and adapt to the ghetto life in Detroit.

unfortunately, a lot of the negative DYesers [[contradictory.. i know) are posting here and giving you the wrong impression. Don't worry, Detroit has some wonderful places which are safe, growing and culturally rich. It's a fine city to live in, just pick the right areas - I wouldn't waste my time with the Metro Detroit Burbs

Crawford;

Those two houses in PW are on Craig's list. An "estate" in Bloomfield hills runs much more. Try $ 9000 per month.

For Someone in NYC you sure are an expert on Detroit Metro???

Quote Originally Posted by dcmorrison12 View Post
    unfortunately, a lot of the negative DYesers [[contradictory.. i know) are posting here and giving you the wrong impression. Don't worry, Detroit has some wonderful places which are safe, growing and culturally rich. It's a fine city to live in, just pick the right areas - I wouldn't waste my time with the Metro Detroit Burbs

Don't let the rosy appraisal fool you. Cops show up in the suburbs, but Detroit Police response times are now down to an hour or so in this neighborhood. The Outer Drive curve is not necessarily growing [[several foresclosures in the last two years on the same block accross the street), and teenagers hanging out on porches during school hours does not necessarily scream culture. However, there are two parks just east of that house, and St. Scholastica Church and School anchor the corner across the the WCCC campus with several youth/community related activities.

Most of the posts here seem fairly honest, but do keep in mind, the fleeing middle class already understands the "advantages" to living in Detroit. That house may not be selling for $1300, [[and for rent 1300 is extreme in this neighborhood), but similar houses selling for prices in the single and low double digits are selling that low for the same reasons people are leaving to the tune of 10,000/yr.

I live in Rosedale Park and this house is just a block north of North Rosedale Park. $1300 is bit much for outside of North Rosedale Park [[the north side of N. Rosedale is pretty rough these days). You could probably do better actually in N. Rosedale Park or Rosedale Park [[south of Grand River). Both are nice neighborhoods with crime no worse than the other good neighborhoods in Detroit [[true, it is on the rise). But as other posters have stated, you could probably get a whole lot more for your money closer to downtown/Midtown/Corktown/East Riverfront at that price.

Thank you very much again. Back to the drawing board.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast