Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Mario’s restaurant employees get violent after blocking bike lanes

When I politely asked parking attendants to stop blocking the bike lanes on Second Avenue last year, they tried breaking the windows of my car.
    “Get of here, you faggot ass bitch!” one of the attendants yelled as he punched a passenger-side window.

http://motorcitymuckraker.com/2015/0...ng-bike-lanes/
    That is some pure class.

Quote Originally Posted by MSUguy View Post
    That is some pure class.
    While what is seen on the very brief video would appear to show rather vulgar behavior on the part of the restaurant employees you must take this "story" with a large grain of salt.

After all, this is the "Motor City Muckraker". That guy never passes up an opportunity to over sensationalize, exaggerate and twist facts in order to call attention to himself. This is not journalism, it is pandering to low-information readers.

I would like to see an unedited video of the "incident" in its entirety rather than 35 seconds of carefully curated video edited to tell a specific version of a "story". Based on the author's previous "work" I must wonder if he didn't purposely antagonize the restaurant people in order to provoke the very reaction shown on the video.

If there is truly a problem with restaurant staff illegally blocking bicycle lanes [[which I question), the proper course of action would be to file a complaint with law enforcement rather than pulling out a video camera and picking a fight in order to draw attention to yourself on the internet and pose as some "hero of the hipsters".

That is some pure class.
    So a person in a car questioned valets parking in a bike lane? Don't people on bikes simply ride around the parked cars? Something doesn't smell right [[as if anything on Muckraker ever does).

Quote Originally Posted by SyGolden48236 View Post
    ...and pose as some "hero of the hipsters".
    HaHaHAHahHaHAHa

Quote Originally Posted by bust View Post
    No I didn't, lol Thanks bust, that was great. My best laugh of the day.

DetroitBoy Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Gpwrangler View Post
    So a person in a car questioned valets parking in a bike lane? Don't people on bikes simply ride around the parked cars? Something doesn't smell right [[as if anything on Muckraker ever does).
    The Muckraker is a self aggrandizing twit. Living proof you can get fired from a bottom of the barrel metro daily and sink even lower.
    Last edited by DetroitBoy; September-15-15 at 09:42 PM.

What the fuck did Mario mean when he said:

"You're lucky these guys didn't KILL you, um hit you!"

Regardless of Steve and his antics, this place is a joke, look at how valet is dressed. Look at the immature owner rushing out to tell Steve: "Ill kick your fucking head in".

Why not just stay inside and call DPD? By all accounts I've read online the food is mediocre at best. Ill pass on this goon Mario's overpriced food.

This incident happened last year according to his description, but he's just now posting something about it?

With a build-up of all my angers and frustrations with being a former car-owner and vehicle operator [[the scam of constantly maintaining your vehicle just so you can wreck it on moon-surfaced pavements not being the least), I just got fed-up at the beginning of 2000 and went ten years without a license. I could've easily reapplied and had no issue with it. Yet, I was stubborn, I wanted to go against the grain, and prove a human can survive without a vehicle in Michigan. I saw how absolutely rotten our mass transit system was [[as if I didn't already know from living in the Corridor and Hamtramck in the '90s) and had to file more than one report against a few DOT drivers.

I rode a bicycle everywhere in Dearborn and was treated most horribly by folks about it. I will not elaborate, but it was F-'n ugly! At least I got lots of exercise and it helped me sleep better at nights. As bad as the pavements were [[not to mention all the glass, screws, and other debris), I hardly got any tire punctures-oddly enough.

I lived in cities where bicycles were handled with better respect. Madison really stood out in that area. Even moronic Bloomington, IL was cool about bicycles [[though I constantly felt I was grappling with some unseen conjured Air Elemental riding against the wind in any direction I headed).

Boston pretended to be cool about bikes [[just like they pretend to be liberal, but they really aren't), yet, I was a bike-owner [[got mine personally from Detroit-slamming Boston Mayor "Mumbles" Menino for all my charity work, which I was already immersed in) and friend with many bicycle activists, and I can tell you Bosstown didn't not live up to what it promised [[like it did in so many other areas). Boston drivers are bad enough, but driving anywhere [[especially in Northeast Cambridge or North Boston-speaking of Mario's-hey, maybe these Ja-Mokes found it hard to cry during a screening of the "Bicycle Thief"-"ah, fergitaboutit") in Boston was a hassle. You get yelled at and many social retards want to cut you off and throw things at you.

For me, I was finding a pin-hole puncture in my tire every week [[either someone had me slated or there were some bitter fug-ups who walked around with ice picks doing this indiscriminately-at least the subways let you carry your bikes onboard, which I had to do many times with a crippled bike), wherever I parked [[I also had to hide my bike in five different random places each night, so that psychotic-acting folks at the place I stayed at didn't know what kind I rode and where I kept it-yeah, I had to be that covert). For others, I heard constant horror stories about friends getting deliberately doored or cut-off. Also, pedi-cab drivers ere constantly being pulled over [[even en masse) by cops who wanted to argue about the rules that they were unaware of by making up their own [[this is why many competent activist and legal groups printed up little fold-up booklets on rules, safety and bicyclist rights for bicyclists to carry on them at all times). After about the 23rd time I got a flat, I just said "Fuggit!" and left my bike chained to a post in front of some activist house [[not that it mattered, I hated the pro-bike snobbery that polarized in the opposite direction from some-I rode a mongoose because any other bike would bust my groin, because my legs are so short-yet, that didn't stop some from getting condescending and constantly pestering me to get better bike.).

I'm glad Detroit is wising up to bike consciousness [[but seeing the typical anti-bike responses from the same typical DY personas of hostility here on this thread doesn't surprise me). Yet, a part of me gets bitter and says "where were you guys ten years ago when I needed the support?" I liked seeing folks on the riverfront during the Jazzfest with tricked-out bikes [[neon lights and with radios pumping tunes).

I only hope folks can see through popular "bike gurus" who acted like exploitative chauvinist ...... bags who show up at parties [[New Years, 4th of July) to discharge loaded weapons up into the air and are now doing TedX talks and act like they're benefiting the community [[yeah, sending "unaddressed air mail" out into the city streets to make their arrival on some grandmother on her front porch or some kid sitting in the kitchen eating milk and cookies-yeah, not a great way to "benefit the community"!!).

The point being: Detroit [[like many other cities-and I meant to say "Bosstown didn't live up to what it promised"-pardon my double negative) has a long way to go as far as building up decent respectability towards bicyclists. Yet, it doesn't surprise me that for a state so dedicated to the automotive industry [[almost to a point of battered wife delusionary Stockholm syndrome proportions-c'mon, folks, they get bail-outs for their execs, lay-off tons of employees-like Ford did in 2005, shut down entire cities-ahem, Flint, fry us with their ignition switches, and then just move all their operations oversees-and we still make jingo-ist excuses for them!?!), that the esteem some folks here have for bicyclists is akin to the treason some feel if you drive foreign.

Also, I wouldn't trust too many of the recent published mapped statistics that paint places like Michigan or Boston as being "up there" in bike respect. What happened at Mario's [[even if someone drives up looking for a fight and it's reported by a dubious source) epitomizes a lot.

Steve is schmuck most of the time. But I bike in the area fair amount, sure you going have the occasional car block a lane, but Mario's blocks those lanes ALL THE TIME which I guess isn't surprising because they want didn't them in first place.
    Last edited by MSUguy; September-16-15 at 03:28 PM.

Steve is schmuck most of the time. But I bike in the area fair amount, sure you going have the occasional car block a lane, but Mario's blocks those lanes ALL THE TIME which I guess isn't surprising because they want didn't them in first place.
    Cyclists pull some crazy shit too, so I think an occasional car in the bike lane is forgive able. I just ride around them. Starting trouble with people in cars might work if you're in a crowd of 20 spandex riders but my cruiser bike is no match for a car. I ride a lot and never have an issue but I don't push my luck.

I do think it's kinda ridiculous to spend money on bike lanes on some of the cratered streets around here, but it is what it is. Expecting drivers around here who can't even merge onto the freeway to know what to do around a bike lane is asking way too much.

I do think it's kinda ridiculous to spend money on bike lanes on some of the cratered streets around here, but it is what it is.
    Last fall some bike lanes were installed on State Fair by Little Beirut. Of all places. The neighbors and I decided that the reason they were installed was so that the bike crowd from the north burbs could safely ride their bike from the bus stop to the Halloween house.
    Last edited by detroitsgwenivere; September-16-15 at 06:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by detroitsgwenivere View Post
    Last fall some bike lanes were installed on State Fair by Little Beirut. Of all places. The neighbors and I decided that the reason they were installed was so that the bike crowd from the north burbs could safely ride their bike from the bus stop to the Halloween house.
    That "conspiracy theory" doesn't hold up since Theater Bizarre was shut down at that location in 2010. At any rate, I've never seen them used. [[Also note: those bike lanes were repainted this summer)

You and your neighbors reasoning pretty clueless and rather sad. Detroit unlike a lot cities has made a point of investing bike infrastructure in not just popular neighborhoods, but instead seeing this something built for you, you see it built for other people.

You and your neighbors reasoning pretty clueless and rather sad. Detroit unlike a lot cities has made a point of investing bike infrastructure in not just popular neighborhoods, but instead seeing this something built for you, you see it built for other people.

Bike Lanes, just another form of oppression by "the man".
    Last edited by Honky Tonk; September-17-15 at 04:08 AM.

I've gotten into it with Mario's valet before for their claiming of public street parking lanes across from their store.

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    Bike Lanes, just another form of oppression by "the man".
    Bikelaning: da new redlining, yep.

Quote Originally Posted by chitaku View Post
    I've gotten into it with Mario's valet before for their claiming of public street parking lanes across from their store.
    I parked in front of one of the sports bars one time and the guy told me that he wouldn't park there because people on the party bus would spit on my car etc. and that they usually save those 3 spaces for the bus. I told the fucker if that happened it would be a bad day for him. My car was fine when I came back but the guy still was running his mouth.

Needs a link to a zoomable version of that image: Detroit-non-moto-map-2015-08.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Towne Cluber View Post
    That "conspiracy theory" doesn't hold up since Theater Bizarre was shut down at that location in 2010. At any rate, I've never seen them used. [[Also note: those bike lanes were repainted this summer)
    First off, you guys need to take a chill pill. I was joking, you know, sarcasm? Truthfully I don't give two shits about your bike lanes.

Second, that house was crawling with people and cars last Saturday and a few other days this summer, so obviously something is going on over there. But you guys would know that as you must be over here just as much as I am apparently.

Mario's has always had Goombas working for them. This is no secret if you've spent any considerable amount of time living or working in the Corridor.
    Last edited by detroitsgwenivere; September-17-15 at 12:48 PM.

Mario's has always had Goombas working for them. This is no secret if you've spent any considerable amount of time living or working in the Corridor.
    NOT as bad as Roma......

Quote Originally Posted by canuck View Post
    Bikelaning: da new redlining, yep.
    Uhhhhhhh.... Green lining, eh?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast