Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Same Old Lions?

Turned down free tickets to this game yesterday. Flipped it on in the 4th quarter, laughed, and went back outside to continue bbqing.

What a joke. I won't be investing any time in watching this crap anymore until they get their shit together. SO, probably never. I need to find a new team to root for.

Quote Originally Posted by 401don View Post
    I admire and, at the same time, feel sorry for Lions fans. I could never be a passionate football fan the way I am for the Tigers, and to a lesser degree the Wings and Pistons. The season is so short and can turn on one player, injuries, a bad ref call, etc. Throw in the constant player turnover and it's tough to be loyal. At least in the the other sports you have a pretty good idea of the kind of team you have going in [[this yr. was an exception for the Tigers) and if you're a .500 team you just relax, watch the young guys develop and enjoy the individual games. I just don't think you can go and watch a football game with all the inherent passion and enjoy it when the team is eliminated a quarter of the way into the season.
    I hear what you're saying. I think the same could be argued for most collegiate sports as well. The turnaround is ungodly. After awhile we just start cheering for the uniforms and helmets.

I guess that comments are not in order at this time?

Quote Originally Posted by Hermod View Post
    I guess that comments are not in order at this time?
    Heck no. I will make one. Now that the "Owen" monkey is off our back do what needs to be done and fire Mayhew and Lewand first thing tomorrow morning. 7 years is long enough to find out if you are going to compete in this league and they are not doing it. Start the search committee for the next GM to run the football operations then find a good actuary with a degree in contract law to work for him who has nothing to do with football decisions.

The defense allowing the awful Bears to score 34 points, 3 turnovers, 10 penalties, & still in last place [[aka Same Ole).

Quote Originally Posted by Smirnoff View Post
    The defense allowing the awful Bears to score 34 points, 3 turnovers, 10 penalties, & still in last place [[aka Same Ole).
    But that was the exact same defense that finally allowed us to pull off a win...

Who else was fearing a repeat of 2008?

Quote Originally Posted by mtburb View Post
    Who else was fearing a repeat of 2008?
    Not even a little bit. The talent level between the two teams was night and day. Most of the current backups have more talent than a lot of the starters from the 2008 team.

Fire Lewand and then Fire Mayhew. For God's sake hire the best people and stop hanging on to shit.

Absolutely abysmal non-effort in the second half today. The offense went backwards and they made the mediocre Teddy Bridgewater look like freakin' Aaron Rodgers out there. Ugh. I think the odds are going down pretty quickly on Caldwell finishing out the season.

Great job by the OL on allowing the Vikings defense to slam Stafferd multiple times, many appear to not get the message being sent, however it's clear as day.....

Quote Originally Posted by EastsideAl View Post
    Absolutely abysmal non-effort in the second half today. The offense went backwards and they made the mediocre Teddy Bridgewater look like freakin' Aaron Rodgers out there. Ugh. I think the odds are going down pretty quickly on Caldwell finishing out the season.
    Mediocre? At this point I'd rather have Bridgewater over Stafford.

While their victories have been against weaker teams, a coaching change lit a fire under the Miami Dolphins.

Why rock the boat, everybody at all levels are receiving a fat paycheck & the losing behavior is MO by owners, at 1-6 it's all about not getting hurt......'cept Stafferd [[just ask the OL).

it's disappointing, the results this season. With the London game, will that be broadcast in the USA?

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyles View Post
    it's disappointing, the results this season. With the London game, will that be broadcast in the USA?
    Yes, on Fox2 at 9:30 am.

Well...they pulled the trigger on Lombardi, so who's next? Odds are pretty good it's Caldwell at the end of the year. Who is this new OC Jim Bob Cooter? The name sounds familiar, didn't he get into some kind of trouble during the off season?

"Revoke the Detroit Lions passports once they arrive in London for the November 2, 2015 game".

https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/petition/revoke-detroit-lions-passports-once-they-arrive-london-november-2-2015-game

Quote Originally Posted by Cincinnati_Kid View Post
    Mediocre? At this point I'd rather have Bridgewater over Stafford.
    Can't disagree with that at all. But that still doesn't mean that Bridgewater is some sort of elite NFL QB.

Quote Originally Posted by Cincinnati_Kid View Post
    Well...they pulled the trigger on Lombardi, so who's next? Odds are pretty good it's Caldwell at the end of the year. Who is this new OC Jim Bob Cooter? The name sounds familiar, didn't he get into some kind of trouble during the off season?
    So, the Lions have chosen to promote the guy who's been 'mentoring' Stafford for the past season and a half, and is the coach responsible for his present state of excellence? Yup, that should improve things...

[[Ol' Jim Bob did indeed have an rather interesting lil' spot of trouble a few years back: http://www.local8now.com/home/headlines/49623477.html)

Quote Originally Posted by EastsideAl View Post
    [[Ol' Jim Bob did indeed have an rather interesting lil' spot of trouble a few years back: http://www.local8now.com/home/headlines/49623477.html)
    He's 31, which means that the two arrests he had were in his early to mid 20's. Looking back at my time during this age, did I ever get arrested for doing anything stupid? No, but should I have? Probably, for I did my fair share of stupid stuff and it was just dumb luck that I made it through, as I'm sure is the case for many young and stupid 20-somethings.

Hopefully it's all out of his system, and at least give a chance to see what he can do. I guess I look at it that he can't be any worse than Lombardi. Nobody can.

Losing is a habit [[58 years), so is winning.....IMO the root cause of the problem[[s) are the people directly "running" the organization. Those current jokers never have/never will [[winning), so start there so the new echelon w/winning experience/practices/policies bring in the appropriate staff to "run" the team, including scouting.

Last edited by Smirnoff; October-28-15 at 04:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by sirrealone View Post
    He's 31, which means that the two arrests he had were in his early to mid 20's. Looking back at my time during this age, did I ever get arrested for doing anything stupid? No, but should I have? Probably, for I did my fair share of stupid stuff and it was just dumb luck that I made it through, as I'm sure is the case for many young and stupid 20-somethings.

Hopefully it's all out of his system, and at least give a chance to see what he can do. I guess I look at it that he can't be any worse than Lombardi. Nobody can.
    Really! Did you strip down to your underpants, break into some strange women's house and crawl into bed with her?

OK, that's the nadir...

Long trip back from London, I wonder if Caldwell makes it all the way back with his job intact.
    Last edited by EastsideAl; November-01-15 at 01:05 PM.

You know how bad a team will be this year if they even loose by a large margin in London...

A couple things:

1. How does a team as awful as the Lions earn the privileges of playing on Thanksgiving or in London?

2. Is 1-15 a lock at this point? At least it's not 0-16 [[and even that was just barely), right?

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast