Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Same Old Lions?

Quote Originally Posted by Big Dog View Post
    What are smogboy and Thruster doing these days? I see no posts by them, this year. Did they finally become enlightened? No sarcasm, intended, just curiosity.
    Dude, even in my silence I could still have more insightful and informed opinions than your one sentence stabs at a team you supposedly care about.

Personally I still love the Lions with every fiber of my being. I'll still follow the team religiously but don't need to come her to DYes to grapple with the likes of you who somehow anoint themselves to being a better fan because you can rip this team.

Actually I've gone onto other Lions fan chat sites where there is actual discussion amongst people who know the game of football, can discuss the Xs & O's and discuss the Lions' personnel. No offense to anyone on the DYes site if they enjoy it but there's just not enough here for me to sink my teeth into.

And I have no idea where smogboy took off too. I thought for sure he'd try his damndest to get the predictions going again. Hopefully he's okay.

Thanks for the reply and information.

Quote Originally Posted by Thruster315 View Post
    Dude, even in my silence I could still have more insightful and informed opinions than your one sentence stabs at a team you supposedly care about.

Personally I still love the Lions with every fiber of my being. I'll still follow the team religiously but don't need to come her to DYes to grapple with the likes of you who somehow anoint themselves to being a better fan because you can rip this team.

Actually I've gone onto other Lions fan chat sites where there is actual discussion amongst people who know the game of football, can discuss the Xs & O's and discuss the Lions' personnel. No offense to anyone on the DYes site if they enjoy it but there's just not enough here for me to sink my teeth into.

And I have no idea where smogboy took off too. I thought for sure he'd try his damndest to get the predictions going again. Hopefully he's okay.
    Funny on one hand you tell a poster: "You think youre better than most fans because",

followed by this gem " I've gone onto other Lions fan chat sites where there is actual discussion amongst people who know the game of football, can discuss the Xs & O's and discuss the Lions' personnel".

Oh thanks for being so condescending. No offense taken. smh

As for your Lions boards[[scout?redzone?), they look real good this morning. A lot of x and o talk. NOT.

The only thing elite about the QB is the amount of his paycheck.

While I agree with your QB assessment, the OL and the defense are the REAL problems with this team. OL doesn't create enough lanes for the RB's to run, and if they can't run the ball, the defense just collapses on the receivers. OL also isn't doing a good job of giving Stafford time to go through his progressions to find his targets. Lions are looking at 0-5 square in the face. Also, this is the first time I can remember that they've been on national TV 2 weeks in a row, when they go to Seattle next week for MNF, then come home to face Arizona, who looks like a SB contender. Talk about bad timing.....

Week #3

Stafford QB Total: Ranked 25th
    Offense Total: Ranked 27th
    Defense Total: Ranked 27th

Yep, same ole......

Quote Originally Posted by Smirnoff View Post
    Week #3

Stafford QB Total: Ranked 25th
    Offense Total: Ranked 27th
    Defense Total: Ranked 27th

Yep, same ole......
    Just goes to show you, bloodlines don't mean a thing, because Joe Lombardi is a far cry from Grandpa Vince. Lombardi is a horrible OC, to go along with the teams other problems.

... there needs to be at least three wins in a row now. are the remaining games all sold out? How expensive are the ticket-broker sites?

Quote Originally Posted by Thruster315 View Post
    Thanks for the concern. Life's just taken over with personal things. All is still well but I just haven't been able to dedicate the time and effort to keep the Lions thread going another year. I appreciate the care, the concern and your contributions-- but I've just been busy doing other things to occupy my time. Instead of actively participating on the DetroitYes threads I've just become a glorified lurker of information when it suits me. My apologies to anyone if I made them wonder where I've been.

Go Lions.

Quote Originally Posted by Dbest View Post
    Funny on one hand you tell a poster: "You think youre better than most fans because",

followed by this gem " I've gone onto other Lions fan chat sites where there is actual discussion amongst people who know the game of football, can discuss the Xs & O's and discuss the Lions' personnel".

Oh thanks for being so condescending. No offense taken. smh

As for your Lions boards[[scout?redzone?), they look real good this morning. A lot of x and o talk. NOT.
    Dbest- I'm going to have to defend thruster315 here because when I did start up these Lions threads years ago, thruster315 would actively post and have lively conversations here with me and other Lions diehard fans. We didn't always see eye-to-eye but it was at least a well informed opinion. He had his firm opinions and welcomed differing ones IF they could be as backed up with facts as his. So anything less- even IMO seemed like trolling.

I think his beef was with bigdog thinking somehow by our absence we were suddenly enlightened or somehow saw the light in the poor Lions' performances. I have no idea where he's at chiming in with his opinions now but I would hardly consider him someone who looked down on any of us who were actively engaged in conversation. I've had lively debates over the years with him and I still recall some of the hilarious discussions between he and gnome about the status of the Lions. If thruster315 chooses not to engage here any more, it's his call. I wouldn't turn him away and in all sincerity I should've reached out to him during the pre-season to see if he could spearhead this thread. Instead I, in true football vernacular- have fumbled the ball. If he's found a livelier community of Lions fans and has a good time, who are we to say he shouldn't? He's a die hard fan like anyone who posts here.

Per a conversation a few years back with thruster315, if one truly didn't care somewhat about the Lions- then why are they even posting here? Either they're a fan or a troll.

I also tip my cap to the people who still continue to post here in lively conversation too. Keep up the good work.

Quote Originally Posted by Cincinnati_Kid View Post
    Just goes to show you, bloodlines don't mean a thing, because Joe Lombardi is a far cry from Grandpa Vince. Lombardi is a horrible OC, to go along with the teams other problems.
    Let's face it: Stufford has been the elephant in the room since day-1, his overall record is 3-33 against winning teams & 0-18 against winning teams on the road.....

I was thinking the same thing about 2 national tv games in a row. We must have got that based on last years record. So probably can forget about any national games next year. Sunday nites endgame was an embarrassment. The national audience, myself, and Al Michaels and Chris Collinsworth were all wondering why no shots to the end zone down 2 scores. You have Calvin and Tate, you have to try it. Instead just took the short stuff Denver offered to run down the clock. ???

Quote Originally Posted by Downriviera View Post
    I was thinking the same thing about 2 national tv games in a row. We must have got that based on last years record. So probably can forget about any national games next year. Sunday nites endgame was an embarrassment. The national audience, myself, and Al Michaels and Chris Collinsworth were all wondering why no shots to the end zone down 2 scores. You have Calvin and Tate, you have to try it. Instead just took the short stuff Denver offered to run down the clock. ???
    Agreed.... I would rather see the Stafford that threw for over 5,000 yards a few seasons ago, than this current edition that "dinks and danks". Be aggressive, he's going to throw picks anyway. Lombardi needs to turn over the play calling to Caldwell, who was the OC when the Ravens went to the SB, or just fire him after the season.
    Last edited by Cincinnati_Kid; September-30-15 at 09:47 AM.

This could be proof of a higher power.

If this board does anything well it has to be showing outright hatred for our own neighboring communities. Somebody up there knows that this is fucked up so they continue to punish Lions fans to their personal delight because they are a close denominator. Makes for a perfect explanation.

Is this team cursed? They lose another game when the referees blow a call. Seattle player KJ Wright bats the ball out of the end zone, on CJ's fumble, with the ref looking right at the play, yet there is a rule that states any ball deliberately batted out of the end zone is a penalty, yet no call is made. They even interviewed a retired ref, and he confirmed the call was blown. Lions should have had the ball 1st and goal on the 1/2 yard line. They got screwed in the playoffs vs Dallas, last year, now this.
    Last edited by Cincinnati_Kid; October-06-15 at 12:23 AM.

I do not expect a referee to know every single rule in the book...after all, the NFL's rule book is 79 pages long. However I feel like one of the officials on the field should have known the rule and gotten it right. There is no excuse for that call to be missed. Holding calls in the middle of the line can be missed. Close out of bounds calls can be missed. Not one as clear as this one.

That being said, this game was not lost on that final posession. This game was lost when up until that final drive every single posession for 3.75 quarters ended in punts except 2. Those 2 ended in a FG and a fumble. This offense is in trouble with Lombardi at the helm.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitSoldier View Post
    I do not expect a referee to know every single rule in the book...after all, the NFL's rule book is 79 pages long. However I feel like one of the officials on the field should have known the rule and gotten it right. There is no excuse for that call to be missed. Holding calls in the middle of the line can be missed. Close out of bounds calls can be missed. Not one as clear as this one.

That being said, this game was not lost on that final posession. This game was lost when up until that final drive every single posession for 3.75 quarters ended in punts except 2. Those 2 ended in a FG and a fumble. This offense is in trouble with Lombardi at the helm.
    Couldn't agree more with all of the above. Their offense is TERRIBLE this year. Stafford hardly ever airs it out anymore, running game is non-existent. Bring back Fauria, at least he was some type of threat, so was Reggie Bush when he wasn't injured.

While you're at it, bring back Wayne Fontes too. I heard he's down in Flordia not doing much except drinking. He was the best coach they ever had in my lifetime.

The Lions response to these blown calls over the years is to lay down and accept it. Until coaching staff, management, and ownership start screaming at the league office we will continue to get boned. That being said, the problems with this team are many. I was worried about leaving to much time on the clock after we scored. Its tough to win in the NFL, more so on the road against a good team in a stadium like Seattle. It sure would have been nice to get the win, but we got robbed once again.

Great deflections; some forgot to mention Johnson "fumbled" the ball at the goal-line when they were losing, good teams/QBs always find a way to win.....same ole. Stat's are facts - they are right where they belong [[0-4).

Week #4 Stats

Total Offense: Ranked 29th
    Total Defense: Ranked 25th
    3rd Down Conversions: Ranked 26th
    Rushing Offense: Ranked 32 [[LAST)
    Stafferd Total QB: Ranked 25th

when is the BYE week? What team is on the schedule that is not doing so well yet or considered non-contenders?

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyles View Post
    when is the BYE week? What team is on the schedule that is not doing so well yet or considered non-contenders?
    I don't know the answer to that question but I do think last night's game qualifies as bye, bye playoffs week.

As for Johnson being the goat, I have a saying from my game of handball where 21 wins the game. If the other player gets there first on a lucky shot, don't whine about that. Whine about letting him get to 20. Point being if the Lions had any offense [defense scored their only TD] he wouldn't have felt the need to stretch for the TD leaving the ball exposed.

Other than that what a great game by both defenses.

Quote Originally Posted by Lowell View Post
    I don't know the answer to that question but I do think last night's game qualifies as bye, bye playoffs week.
    I agree. It was a nice gesture by the Lions to take themselves out of the playoffs [[and out of an even mediocre season) after only four games. Now I can stop hunting for free streaming NFL games and the computer attacks that sometimes accompany it, and we can all do something more productive and more fun on Sunday afternoon for the next three months.

Quote Originally Posted by 401don View Post
    If I was Caldwell I'd walk up and down the aisle and cuff up the side of the head anyone who fell asleep on the flight back.
    Not sure Caldwell is the answer. Seems so complacent.When he arrived here, he was going to correct all the penalties. He has not come close to doing so.

I fell asleep before this happened so I was spared the disappointment, frustration, and anger that would have likely made for a much less restful night.

And I'm glad for that.

The bottom line is that while this was a blatantly bad call, once again the Lions put themselves in the position of having a bad call impact them by having a poor performance on the field. I've seen multiple people out there say that they've now been affected by bad calls in 2 of their last 5 games, and isn't 40% just ridiculous?

Be that as it may, but let's look beyond the bad calls. In the Dallas game, they were up 20-7 midway through the third quarter. Between that and the bad call, Dallas scored on all three drives, and Detroit did absolutely nothing on their possessions. You stop them or match them on a score and the bad call might never happen or matter.

Last night, they scored exactly three points on offense for the entire game leading up to the final drive. I get that Seattle's defense is good, but if you score just one field goal throughout 52+ minutes of play, you deserve to lose. Gruden was making fun of them, calling their plays and predicting the outcome throughout the game. They do something...anything...on offense, and again, the non-call might be a non-issue.

And let's not forget that while Lions fans are outraged that this has happened two times in five games now, that the Lions not only did their part to lose those games, they blew another one. Up 21-3 against the Chargers going into halftime, you don't lose that game, but the Lions did and they didn't need any help to pull that one off.

It is true how teams consistently hire the 'opposite' coach as the one they fired. Caldwell just stands there passively no matter what, but I'm pretty sure that Schwartz would have died of a massive heart attack last night had he been on the sidelines.

I swear Lombardi looks like he's determined to coach for a different offense then the one he actually has. 2 great deep threats and they constantly throw underneath. Deficient blocking in the middle of the o line, yet they insist on running up the gut at the beginning of every series of plays. Slow linemen who consistently can't get out in front of the screen passes they throw on 2nd and long. And when they do do something unexpected, it often seems to be something inexplicably ill-suited to the situation. Like the third and short where they finally went to a 2 back set, presumably to block clear some room for the tailback, but then they handed the ball to the upback [[!) who promptly ran smack into the same linebacker he would have been blocking.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast