Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Servite / Colin Powell Students Alumni [[Help)

Hello All,
    I need help. I want to raise funding to purchase and renovate the old Servite High School / Colin Powell Academy At 4800 Coplin, including the Catholic Church attached. My daughters graduated from the school before they finally closed it. I live 5 minutes away.

I have a home business called I Organize N-U Survive/ H.O.A.R.D.S . I want to expand my company and hire more personnel and clean the homes of hoarders throughout Michigan, Ohio and Chicago. That is my dream. I wanted to use an abandoned school in Detroit to make it happen. I was born and raised here and I will do whatever work I have to for my company to be successful.

I don't know who owns these buildings and the city won't return ANY calls. The church was brought for $1.00 and was closed due to scandal. So sad. I'm having a fundraiser next October, to raise funding and this week, I'm setting up a GOFUNDME page.

Past alumni, If you can help me, please send me a private message, including your name, email address and contact info. I would love for you to be at the fundraiser and become a sponsor, if you like. Please any help or info would be a BLESSING.

Let's save SERVITE and help stop Hoarding!!!

Lynette E. Walton, CEO Of I Organize N-U Survive / HOARDS

email-mrslynetteblessed[at]yahoo.com

PS: I'm also interested in 13000 Dequindre, the old Washington School. Scrappers are just destroying this school. It can be saved with Love and our help!!
    GOD Bless
    Last edited by mrsorganize; September-13-15 at 10:07 AM.

What was the name if the Catholic parish that run the school that became Colin Powell on Coplin?
    I have driven by that building often and wondered if Colin Powell knew that his name was on an abandoned school in Detroit. Good luck in your endeavors.

He knew. He visited the school and gave a great speech. The persons in charge stole from the students and the school had to close. Central Michigan was backing the school and pulled out .

Looks like it's been closed since about 2010, and appears to be completely open to the elements. I can appreciate your enthusiasm, a building of that size would be a monumental undertaking to maintain let alone return it to habitable condition. I found an article online that mentioned the maintenance costs for the building were very high and part of the reason that the charter school failed.

http://detroiturbex.com/content/scho...ell/index.html

Looking at the google maps images there appears to be some type of occupied church related building right across the street. I would suggest stopping by there to see if they know the current ownership and status of the former school.
    Last edited by Johnnny5; September-13-15 at 11:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnnny5 View Post
    Looks like it's been closed since about 2010, and appears to be completely open to the elements. I can appreciate your enthusiasm, a building of that size would be a monumental undertaking to maintain let alone return it to habitable condition. I found an article online that mentioned the maintenance costs for the building were very high and part of the reason that the charter school failed.

Looking at the google maps images there appears to be some type of occupied church related building right across the street. I would suggest stopping by there to see if they know the current ownership and status of the former school.
    Thanks for the link, what a beautiful building.

I'm trying to find out something!!! Keep me in your prayers!!

Default Regarding building across street.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnnny5 View Post

The building across the street was the old St. John Birchmans' Rectory. My sister was married there. Servite was the name of the school, St. John Birchmans was the name of the Catholic Church there. We were parishioners there for about five years. They had what they called "Low Mass" in the basement and "High Mass" in the main church. The main church had a balcony where we would always go as you could be out of the priests direct sight line. This was back in the days when the Mass was spoken in Latin and lasted 90 minutes. Also the kneelers were made out of wood with now padding, not very comfortable.