Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default September 11, 2001

Remembering....

Name:  911.png
Views: 706
Size:  210.1 KB
    Last edited by FormerEastsider; September-11-15 at 04:26 PM.

Reposting this from a similar thread I posted last year.

Quote Originally Posted by mtburb View Post
    I had just moved into a house on Lafayette between Springwells and Woodmere and that day, I was riding in a carpool to my new job at the Ford Woodhaven Stamping Plant [[which forced me to move back into the Detroit area from Ogemaw County) and I was on I-75 between Outer Drive and Southfield in Lincoln Park when the first plane crashed into the World Trade Center. At first, I thought that a small Cessna had crashed into the RenCen [[but of course, that would be false).

I did arrive at the stamping plant, but no one was working there then, instead, they were all confined to television screens across the plant. I went to one of them and we all watched the second plane hit the WTC live.

It was not long after that that we were all sent home. Right away, I stopped at the Amoco across I-75 at West and Hall Roads to prepare for any shortages that would follow and from there, went right back on I-75 home, where I instantly turned the TV on and watched the news unfold for the rest of the day-in fact, when the first WTC tower was collapsing, I initially thought they were reusing old footage of the Hudson's implosion.

Since then, probably due to post-attack repercussions, I lost my job early in 2002 and I have since moved to three different homes.

Quote Originally Posted by FormerEastsider View Post
    Remembering....Name:  911.png
Views: 706
Size:  210.1 KB
    Still on active duty, I was one phone call from going off to war....

I remember like it was yesterday...we seem to have forgotten as a nation.

Quote Originally Posted by Gpwrangler View Post
    I remember like it was yesterday...we seem to have forgotten as a nation.
    Kids who graduated high school this year likely have no memory of 9/11/01 as they were only 3 or 4 years old.

And I agree you with, Gpwrangler, it seems like that day of pure unadulterated evil happened just yesterday.

Just viewed the documentory film on CNN tonight. Saddened, angered and wondering once again why the hell we invaded Iraq when 16 Saudis financed by a lot of Saudi money were largely responsible for this act of war.

I too remember 9/11 very, very well.

I was working only blocks from the White House.

I got a 'CNN Breaking News' on my computer about a 'small' plane hitting the WTC. I strolled to the cafeteria which had CNN on.

Then back to my desk and another 'CNN Breaking News' that either the second building was hit or the first first plane 'wasn't small.' At that point I knew something grave was happening.

Out of my big, big bosses office's window folks there saw the smoke come up from the Pentagon [[some thought it was coming from the White House, but it was coming from the other side of the Potomac.).

We all scrambled to get out of D.C. that morning even though it wasn't probably the 'correct' thing to do [[we should have sheltered-in-place).

Lot of folks were very afraid. We did not know via radio [[remember we didn't have these nice little smartphones; I think I used a pager at work; it might have been a year or two when we got Blackberries) about how many planes were in the air and unaccounted for [[turns out the number was one) and could be headed to D.C., presumably Capitol Hill or even the White House itself. I assume folks thought that the Capitol would have been an easy target because it is located at the end of a long mall without tall buildings surrounding it. [[The White House apparently is 'protected' by the Washington Monument and buildings surrounding it making it difficult for a big plane to reach it - a plane coming down the Potomac would have to 'fly around' the Washington Monument.).

That was the big issue: Were there any planes still in the sky unaccounted for which could poise a threat to D.C.?

I believe after Flight 93 crashed in Pa that folks released that it was the last unaccounted for flight.

Only God knows what would have happened had flight 93 not gone down in Pa. The presumption would have been if it came up the Potomac headed for D.C. it would have been taken down...
    Last edited by emu steve; September-12-16 at 03:16 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobl View Post
    Just viewed the documentory film on CNN tonight. Saddened, angered and wondering once again why the hell we invaded Iraq when 16 Saudis financed by a lot of Saudi money were largely responsible for this act of war.
    Where's the button that allows me to "like" this comment?

I was living in Manhattan and was awakened by a very loud roar that I later realized was the first plane flying very low across the island. I then started doing some work, as usual, for an hour or so. I was starting to get a little annoyed with all the sirens outside when, suddenly, a friend I hadn't heard from in quite some time called me to ask if I was OK, and told me to turn on the TV. So, I turned on the TV, which was in front of the south-facing windows of my apartment, and stared at it with uncomprehending amazement for a few seconds. And then I looked up...
    Last edited by EastsideAl; September-12-16 at 11:14 PM.