Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default The New Stephen Colbert show any thoughts ???

I liked it, and I was a bit surprised. But I still miss the old Colbert. He was spot on with the news. And it was the only show that made me laugh out loud!

I missed it so I had to look it up on CBS.com. I'm watching it now.

Total duration 46 minutes: The Late Show with Stephen Colbert 9/8/2015

Edit: I really liked the miniature faking intro at 7:40. I hope they keep that. The rest of the show was good too but let's be honest, nobody can win a race right out of the gate.

It's a plus for The Late Show and not a minus for Stephen Colbert.

Full disclosure: we have always had a close tie with Johnny Carson of The Tonight Show.
    Last edited by Jimaz; September-10-15 at 07:56 PM.

The issue for Stephen is not staying sharp. If anything, he needs something to distract and kink up his mind a bit. Putting on the Buckley-esque neoCon Pundit schtick created a buffer that kept him from "eating the whole pizza" on air.

But hey! he's Second City. He'll know how adjust to pacing and passing the ball and working with the tension, instead of turning it into a chaotic episode of Harvey Birdman. For sure, he has proved so far that he has never lost that snappy art of Pat Paulsen-like double-talk, he honed to a "T".

Here's something you don't see every day.

Justice Stephen Breyer Interview

Loved when he had Kevin Spacey imitating Jimmy Stewart to Carol Burnett.

Yesterday, they celebrated band leader, Jon Batiste's birthday. They did it with the unbridled flourish of knowing that the most English sung song in the world is now public domain.

Back when Colbert donned the "ultra conservative pundit" guise, he had a reverse psychological wink he gave often to his more than average intelligence-based audience. If he respected a guest, he'd play foolish devil's advocate and dig into them. Like he did here with Fr. Jim Martin over his views that conflict with Glenn Beck's opinion about social justice. http://www.cc.com/video-clips/oymi80...--james-martinIf he thought a guest was a jerk who does not deserve the platform they have attained, he would use implications and double-talk to expose them-or better still, he'd just let them hang themselves with their own tongue.

Such was the case with transhumanist, Ray Kurzweil [[who, like psychologist-turned-psychedelic guru, Timothy Leary, believed mankind would do well without individuality and should embrace singularity. Much like the kind of singularity one could attain by throwing themselves to The Thing or the Blob.). Colbert just lets him talk all out of his neck. http://www.cc.com/video-clips/2gpjkk...t-ray-kurzweil

What gets me is how when I first stumbled upon this a while ago, I came across quite a few forums laughing at how Colbert let's this guy talk like a total fool, and many of them stated clearly they thought Kurzweil was a wingnut. Typical to the unnatural nature [[and being natural is becoming more and more of an endangered commodity with mankind, and those who choose to embrace it are often depicted as dumb or backwards and holding everybody back-much like the Amish are smeared.) of the internet in it's views of sex, drugs, utilitarianism, eugenics, technology and pretty much everything else, I found it harder and harder to find the sites that expressed these justified criticisms. Not surprisingly, lots of sites directly praising or promoting Kurzweil or forums upholding transhumanism come up clogging pages when I do the search "Colbert Report Ray Kurzweil"-predictable eerie disappointments from the internet. All I got is this transcription from the reactionary Prison Planet forum [[some of which I agree). http://forum.prisonplanet.com/index.php?topic=206178.0Folks there did not hide their disgust with the man's opinions.

To bring it back to Batiste: I really like that Jon's band is called "Stay Human" [[more winking to the crowd who pay attention, I hope). That, and like Augustus Pablo and Nat King Cole, Batiste isn't afraid to employ an instrument like the Melodica.

i miss letterman!

I got a real big kick out of this when I saw it on T.V.

Sorry that it was from someone's T.V. set.

^^^ I felt like posting that on the "Hum" thread but Gannon has a reason for it's reappearance. That sound is as odd as the strange "sweet smell" https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maple_syrup_eventthat haunted NYC from time to time and was blamed on fennel seeds from Jersey [[weird smells from Jersey-get out of here!).

The band Sleater-Kinney performed last night. I heard them from the other room, and I was told they had great presence and energy. I remember them from playing at Zoot's long ago http://theconcertdatabase.com/venues/zoots-coffee-house[[this site has a limited listing from someone's personal bias of bands and a limited access of old flyers they had handy-which reminds me, I got to get on uploading a Zoot's/Gold Dollar flyer portfolio in my profile area.). The bittersweet feelings I have towards the Indie scene of the 90's is what kept me from enthusiastically running in to watch them perform.