Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

More evil weed stories. That's why I stick to party stores and drinking heavily, nothing bad ever happens with either.

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    ...Lots of folks trying out their purchases on the lot....
    ... and folks sweeping up the roaches, I imagine.

I dont see the problem. Its not as if Detroit hasn't been flush with unofficial mj dispensaries for the better part of IDK 75 years. There have been laws on the books to prevent this for just as long and they haven't done anything to stop sale or possession. Pretty much all the have accomplished is giving the police a way to hand out criminal records and pad their pockets. Still plenty of drive thru spots located on city blocks in residential neighborhoods. I think this is worse for residents by far. Drug traffic on their streets, the violence that comes with drug sales. Are these retailers tax exempt or something? They are providing jobs, a service, and are occupying otherwise vacant storefronts.

Click here to see other beginning of the month incidences....

Quote Originally Posted by Jimaz View Post
    It looks like you were trying to link to this article: 1 person shot at medical marijuana dispensary on Detroit's west side.
    Last edited by Zacha341; October-08-15 at 12:15 PM.

Some actual numbers from today's Free Press: Report: Detroit has 148 marijuana dispensaries
    Of the 148 dispensaries in Detroit, 100 are within 1.15 miles of the suburbs; 59, including some of those near suburbs, are within 1,000 feet of an active school, according to the report, "Weed in the D," published Monday by local mapping company Loveland Technologies.

The report cautions that estimates are probably low. If so, Detroit would have more than one marijuana dispensary per square mile. The city is 139 square miles in size.

"Marijuana retail is clearly a growth business," the report says. "The numbers in this report have had to be revised upwards several times as new dispensaries opened, and more are expected to open in the near future."
    "Marijuana retail is clearly a growth business." Heh. That's punny.

Quote Originally Posted by rex View Post
    I dont see the problem. Its not as if Detroit hasn't been flush with unofficial mj dispensaries for the better part of IDK 75 years. There have been laws on the books to prevent this for just as long and they haven't done anything to stop sale or possession. Pretty much all the have accomplished is giving the police a way to hand out criminal records and pad their pockets. Still plenty of drive thru spots located on city blocks in residential neighborhoods. I think this is worse for residents by far. Drug traffic on their streets, the violence that comes with drug sales. Are these retailers tax exempt or something? They are providing jobs, a service, and are occupying otherwise vacant storefronts.
    I totally agree.

My wife, before she was my wife, lived on a corner where kids sold weed, maybe more.
    She didn't recognize the warning signs when she chose the place.
    She was there three years. Someone was shot and killed directly below her bedroom window two years in a row.
    She was home to hear the second murder as it happened.

Those kids were menacing. There were frequent fights with a rival gang over the turf. There were full on brawls in the middle of the street. Her building was broken into repeatedly. Something terrible happened to a young woman downstairs. We never found out specifically what, but we suspect she was raped. There was always loud noise late into the night. On weekends it was nearly impossible to sleep. We called the police, repeatedly, but even during the brawls they rarely responded and when they did it was always too late. And this was only a few blocks from Soho, in New York, less than 10 years ago. Imagine what it's like where most of this activity goes on.

A dispensary is so much safer it's beyond comparison. If you disagree I can only guess you don't understand the alternatives.

The street punks need to be put out of business and replaced by people who follow regulations, pay their taxes, sell a safe product, and respect their neighbors. Bringing this industry out of the shadows is one rare way Michigan's legislators are more forward-thinking than New York's.
    Last edited by bust; October-08-15 at 03:59 PM.

I believe there'll be some leveling off once the non-compliant dispensaries are weeding out [[pardon the pun) for not considering and following policy and zoning regulations.

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    I believe there'll be some leveling off once the non-compliant dispensaries are weeding out [[pardon the pun) for not considering and following policy and zoning regulations.
    Whatever they may be.....

^^^ One is that marijuana is not to be sold to those not presenting an official Medical Marijuana Card.

^^To be honest, that particular issue, really isn't that much of an issue. Because those of us who are not card carriers just send our buddies with cards in to buy our wares for us. So many people have cards, it's easy to find someone willing to do this for you.

When word went out that CPL holders couldn't also possess a weed card, we chose to drop the weed cards, as we don't need a license to access marijuana regardless of it's legality.

Is there a limit to how much a cardholder can purchase at once?

how regulated are the prescriptions that physicians prescribe? I'm always reading about rappers and celebrity types who "happen" to have a prescription.

No limit and cash only

Depends on the issuing state, California was [[and is) far laxer when it comes to obtaining a prescription for medical marijuana than Michigan. California medical marijuana doctors will issue a license for whatever reason. Michigan at one time - and to my knowledge still is - far more difficult to obtain a certificate. There was [[and still is I believe) a short list of diagnosed chronic illnesses which would qualify a patient for a certificate. There seems to be a slackening of the rules lately.

Quote Originally Posted by SDCC View Post
    No limit and cash only
    Wow. No wonder they're on every corner.

With a card you can collect cash from your friends and purchase for them at the dispensary with impunity.

And it's a cash only business?

Quote Originally Posted by Shai_Hulud View Post

With a card you can collect cash from your friends and purchase for them at the dispensary with impunity.

Yep, dead presidents only, a guess would be its been approximately about 3 years’ now.
    Any dispensary worth its salt has an ATM on premise.
    Regardless of ease of obtaining a certificate, the places are cash cows on steroids.

Yet more reasons why the expansion of marijuana dispensaries advances the city of Detroit!

Last edited by Zacha341; October-13-15 at 11:13 AM.

Creative prescription shenanigans would not be and aren't exclusive to marijuana. Stay tuned for more revelations on that end of the 'business'. Stranger things have happened!

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyles View Post
    how regulated are the prescriptions that physicians prescribe? I'm always reading about rappers and celebrity types who "happen" to have a prescription.
    Last edited by Zacha341; October-13-15 at 06:12 AM.

Fun for everyone -- apparently......

San Ana Cali police clown-out, and seem to enjoy a serious chow-down of the weed edibles during a dispensary raid!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QXRQS4KGKBg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IZDlGtn3mFI
    Last edited by Zacha341; October-13-15 at 11:10 AM.

Growing like a weed: Dispensaries sprout south of 8 Mile

http://www.freep.com/story/opinion/c...mile/73607020/

From article: It's impossible to say exactly how many dispensaries operate inside, or outside, the city of Detroit. They're not required to register with state or local authorities in the same way as pharmacies or liquor stores [[imperfect examples, admittedly).

But surveyors with Detroit-based data firm Loveland Technologies — the same team that counted the establishments along 8 Mile — found at least 146 dispensaries along Detroit's commercial corridors, documented in a report released last week. Loveland didn't inventory suburban dispensaries, but directories like WeedMaps and Leafly show few listings in suburban communities, and in some cities, the few listings are for delivery-only operations.

....Communities like Livonia, Birmingham, Bloomfield Hills and Lyon Township passed ordinances barring the use of medical marijuana. And although those ordinances were overturned by the Michigan Supreme Court in 2010, justices have since ruled that dispensaries have no right to operate anywhere, paving the way for municipalities to restrict their operations or banish them outright.

In communities like Warren, cops have routinely rousted medical marijuana users. And sheriffs in Oakland and Macomb counties have proved willing to raid and close dispensaries, said Matt Abel, a partner with Detroit-based Cannabis Counsel, a marijuana-centric law firm.

Who knows? This is so much about chasing and counting the horses well after the barn door was left WIDE open a day or two, or three....

Is there a limit to how much a cardholder can purchase at once?

I guess Warren just ain't feeling the love...

Warren Mayor Fouts pushes medical marijuana ordinance

Council approves licensing rules for medical pot shops

The City Council on Tuesday approved a long-awaited ordinance that sets strict licensing requirements for Detroit’s medical marijuana centers.

The measure passed by a 6-1 vote and over the dramatic protest of the council’s second highest ranking member who made a failed bid for a delay.

President Pro Tem George Cushingberry noted his desire to recommend amendments to the plan and argued Tuesday a vote on the proposal that will impact thousands of people should be suspended until outstanding concerns are sorted out. He’s previously argued in favor of drive-thru services and 24-hour operations.

“What are we doing here,” he said. “This to me is a rush to judgment.”

But others, including Councilman James Tate, who spearheaded the ordinance and Councilwoman Janee Ayers countered Cushingberry, noting that discussion has been underway for months as have opportunities for suggested changes.

The zoning ordinance was not voted on Tuesday. It will be discussed by the city Planning Commission on Thursday. The ordinance won’t be published until the zoning requirements are also approved, officials said
    http://www.detroitnews.com/story/new...hops/73877022/

So you can just open a business up without getting a occupational license or business license?

How does the city collect the taxes?

You could open bank the cash then when they shut you down move to the next spot etc.

It is all cash because the feds consider it ill gotten gains so you cannot bank it.

Colorado is doing very well with it's new found source of revenue, but you have a different mindset there than you do here in Detroit. It's all about accountability and record keeping. My guess is a few palms will get greased @ the top, and it'll be business as usual in the D. Cushionberry's objections to the proposed regulations are a good example.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast