Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Default Marijuana dispensary density in Detroit! It is a zoning problem?

Is it just me or has anyone else noticed an increased expansion of the number of marijuana dispensaries within the city over the last 60 days? I noticed two go up within a half mile in two weeks on the near west side [[West Grand Blvd and Linwood area).

West Seven Mile for example has them nearly every corner on one area. With an approximate total of ten between the Telegraph and and US10! Eight Mile, east to west, spanning the whole city border is peppered well over that with a new one added last week [[see map below). Just driving is all that is required to see the density compared to surrounding suburbs. Most of the dispensaries bear the green cross and in some cases green neon lighting. Names range from So and So's Holistic Center to what seems to be a mega center on E. Eight Mile called House of Dank - ?

Setting aside the moral issue, how will it bow for Detroit having this number of marijuana dispensaries topping out to well over 100, and growing. Is there any current discussion regarding zoning regulations? See below to verify the density within the city proper:

https://weedmaps.com/dispensaries/in...n/west-detroit
    Last edited by Zacha341; September-06-15 at 05:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    Is it just me of has anyone else noticed an high expansion of the number marijuana dispensaries within the city limits over the last 60 days -- literally? I noticed two go up within a half mile in two weeks on the near west side [[West Grand Blvd and Linwood area).

West Seven Mile for example has them nearly every corner on one area. With an approximate total of ten between the Telegraph and and US10! Eight Mile, east to west, the whole city border is peppered well over that with a new one added last week [[see map below). Just driving is all that is required to see the density compared to surrounding suburbs. Most of the dispensaries bear the green cross and in some cases green neon lighting. Names range from So and So's Holistic Center to what seems to be a mega center on E. Eight Mile called House of Dank?

Setting aside the moral issue, how will it bow for Detroit having this number of marijuana dispensaries topping out to well over 100, and growing. Is there any current discussion regarding zoning regulations? See below to verify the density within the city proper:

https://weedmaps.com/dispensaries/in...n/west-detroit

I think the problem here is they forget where they opened them.

this means that any number of raids will be conducted by the Detroit Police, and supported by Bill Schuette's regime. Look for select evidence to disappear, even when no charges are made.

They're growing like weeds.

Great time to be a pot head.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimaz View Post
    They're growing like weeds.
    More thefts and robberies. That's an all cash business, so the dispensaries will need armed guards.

Wow a new pharmacy opens on Grand River in Rosedale area opens. Will the mayor come for the ribbon-cutting?
    Name:  pharmacy-green.jpg
Views: 1270
Size:  74.6 KB

I have seen four or five such new enterprises in that westside area. As it is legal to have a dispensary for medical cannabis I speculate that these entrepreneurs are positioning themselves in anticipation of Michigan legalizing recreational use of cannabis.

As the City of Detroit has already legalized recreational cannabis, in gray-area conflict with state and federal law, my speculation is that these investors view it as a safer place to set up. I would also be curious to know if successful entrepreneurs in Colorado could be behind these businesses.

I am always curious about who they get to design these places. This Kush Kab logo looks like a Grateful Dead follower van.
    Name:  kush-kab.png
Views: 1284
Size:  250.0 KB
    A little googling of kush cab indicates that they are anticipating a cannabis cab delivery service.

Quote Originally Posted by Lowell View Post
    Will the mayor come for the ribbon-cutting?
    Will the Mayor come to get his prescription filled?

As long as they're paying taxes, creating jobs and not participating in or instigating criminal activity, I don't have a problem with them.

Quote Originally Posted by 313WX View Post
    As long as they're paying taxes, creating jobs and not participating in or instigating criminal activity, I don't have a problem with them.
    Dodging taxes, only employing family,fueling bad behavior. These places are the latest get rich quick scheme.

Quote Originally Posted by One Shot View Post
    Dodging taxes, only employing family,fueling bad behavior. These places are the latest get rich quick scheme.
    Sounds like a party store or gas station.

Sounds like the market responding with supply for a nearly unlimited demand. Capitalism at work. I see nothing wrong here...and a whole bunch of things right.

The Kush Kab reminds of two things...

Soul Train and Crosby Stills & Nash

All aboard the Merry Kush Express

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Wesson View Post
    The Kush Kab reminds of two things...

Soul Train and Crosby Stills & Nash

All aboard the Merry Kush Express

One of my favorite groups from back in the day

And from this mornings freep

http://www.freep.com/story/news/2015...king/71720352/
    Last edited by SDCC; September-08-15 at 07:35 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gannon View Post
    Sounds like the market responding with supply for a nearly unlimited demand. Capitalism at work. I see nothing wrong here...and a whole bunch of things right.
    You say this but look at Denver! The place is a total dump. I see nothing to emulate. *sarcasm*

I think Cannabis could be huge for Detroit, it could be a tourist factor if Michigan went the route of Colorado. Be the first Midwest state to outright legalize. In Denver, someone from out of state can go into a dispensary and purchase product for an additional "out of state" fee.

Problem is, the Governor and his "no comment" approach to even talking about it makes me think its got a ways to go. Not to mention Bill Schuette. *sigh*

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    Sounds like a party store or gas station.

Sounds like a politician.

Councilman Tate was espousing the evils of the Devil's herb this morning on WJR, feeding Frank Beckman's contention that our urban leaders are beginning to realize what a mistake the city is making by not throwing our young people in jail and ruining their chances at gainful employment. Like working at the dispensary.
    Last edited by detroitsgwenivere; September-08-15 at 03:51 PM.

I wouldn't have a problem if they weren't so garish.

Bright green paint jobs, bright green LED's along with huge neon signs. These are usually right next to an orange liquor store with it's services in hand painted huge block black letters. LIQUOR - BEER - WINE - EBT - MONEY ORDERS.

It's a pipe dream but I would love to see a thoughtful signage ordinance passed and enforced.

From page 4A of today's Free Press:

Detroit council to address marijuana shops,...
    Regulation of Detroit’s growing number of marijuana shops will be among a handful of issues the Detroit City Council expects to tackle when it returns today after a six-week recess....

Dozens of shops — the exact number is unknown — have opened around Detroit, but the city has no laws regulating dispensaries....

An early draft of proposed city regulations would require dispensaries to obtain a city-issued business license. Other recommendations included a restriction that dispensaries could not be less than 1,000 feet from each other, nor within 2,000 feet of a school, library, museum, child care center or city recreation center....
    The bolded bits surprised me. Isn't it a bit late to start making the rules now?

Quote Originally Posted by Jimaz View Post
    From page 4A of today's Free Press:

Detroit council to address marijuana shops,...The bolded bits surprised me. Isn't it a bit late to start making the rules now?
    Are there other businesses that do not require a business license?

There are at least four dispensaries in Rosedale Park between the Southfield freeway and Evergreen. One just west of Evergreen used to be a Taco Bell and your can use the drive-thru to get your medical [[joke) weed. The one with the kush cab drawing has a walk-up window.

So far the people that I have seen going into these joints [[pun intended) are young 20 something males, both black and white. Now, can someone tell me what medical condition might these young whippersnappers have? Who are the doctors that are giving them prescriptions for the medical erb? Seriously, does this type of business really help Detroit? Some say the businesses will pay taxes. Really? What about unforeseen costs? Who's gonna pay the extra costs for police when these places become targets for robbers and thieves? Who's gonna pay the extra costs when these healthy 20 somethings can't get healthcare because they're too stoned to hold down a job that would provide them with medical insurance?

If they can't get jobs, then what are they going to do - rob, steal, seek social security disability, or go on government assistance? Who pays the costs of this new enterprise? Society pays. For me, the negatives outweigh the benefits.

The belief that marijuana is harmless is a fallacy. Having a bunch of stoned 20 somethings claiming a medical condition, can't be good for the future of this city, state, or country. Also, unless these 20 somethings are musicians or artists, how productive are they going to be in the work place? What are the ramifications for them and society when they get older? Legalizing marijuana does not bode will for this country.
    Last edited by royce; September-09-15 at 12:09 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by royce View Post
    There are at least four dispensaries in Rosedale Park between the Southfield freeway and Evergreen. One just west of Evergreen used to be a Taco Bell and your can use the drive-thru to get your medical [[joke) weed. The one with the kush cab drawing has a walk-up window.

So far the people that I have seen going into these joints [[pun intended) are young 20 something males, both black and white. Now, can someone tell me what medical condition might these young whippersnappers have? Who are the doctors that are giving them prescriptions for the medical erb? Seriously, does this type of business really help Detroit? Some say the businesses will pay taxes. Really? What about unforeseen costs? Who's gonna pay the extra costs for police when these places become targets for robbers and thieves? Who's gonna pay the extra costs when these healthy 20 somethings can't get healthcare because they're too stoned to hold down a job that would provide them with medical insurance?

If they can't get jobs, then what are they going to do - rob, steal, seek social security disability, or go on government assistance? Who pays the costs of this new enterprise? Society pays. For me, the negatives outweigh the benefits.

The belief that marijuana is harmless is a fallacy. Having a bunch of stoned 20 somethings claiming a medical condition, can't be good for the future of this city, state, or country. Also, unless these 20 somethings are musicians or artists, how productive are they going to be in the work place? What are the ramifications for them and society when they get older? Legalizing marijuana does not bode will for this country.
    Yes, too bad it won't have the same profound effect alcohol has had on this country.

Just in the last week I noticed a small new dispensary on West Vernor at Campbell Ave. and a garish green large dispensary on north side Michigan Ave. just west of Livernois.
    The one on Michigan is not too out-of-place because Michigan is already home to murderous strip clubs and a legion of sex-workers, but sorry to see a business like that on West Vernor on the route of many schoolchildren to their Cristo rey, Western International, Mayberry, Holy Redeemer, Earhart Middle School, etc.

Problem of the Green Cross Stores is its was design to oppress and exploit the meek and poor folks in the welfare and food stamp supported Ghetto hoods. Go in, buy some 31 flavors of weed and get stoned. Those weed shops are a hot bad for violent street crime. A terrible place for hoodies to steal some cannabis. Just like going to a liquor store or a some not so friendly-crack house!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast