Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Olga's Kitchen leaves downtown Detroit

Olga's Kitchen in the Compuware Building abruptly closed on Friday.

This is not a huge surprise as the parent company is in bankruptcy and closing branches. This was discussed on this forum earlier. Olga's Filling For Chapter 11 Protection

I think Olga's had a good formula but never evolved from it.

“Closing the One Campus Martius location is a necessary next step for our company and the continued health of all of our operations as we look toward the future,” Michael Kosloski, Olga’s chief operating officer, said in a statement.

The closing came as a surprise to Eddie Dhroso, an employee of Warren-based Intercity Neon Inc., whose company designed and erected the Olga's sign with a giant pita wrap outside the Detroit Olga's. Dhroso helped raise the sign three years ago, and on Friday he helped take it down.

Dang...glad I went there a few times recently. Was always clean and quality consistent. Hopefully a new business can fill their space quickly

Quote Originally Posted by hybridy View Post
    Dang...glad I went there a few times recently. Was always clean and quality consistent. Hopefully a new business can fill their space quickly
    ...either that or it will stay empty for years.

Quote Originally Posted by mtburb View Post
    ...either that or it will stay empty for years.
    That's a pretty pessimistic view. Downtown has turned the corner enough that this prime location should rent quickly. Article states they have already had several inquiries and expect an announcement for a new tenant soon. On the other hand, I do wonder how the Texas de Brazil is doing. Very specialized, pricey and only open at dinner.

http://www.detroitnews.com/story/bus...tius/71720726/

If the owner of the restaurant can not make a profit, shut it down! That is the free market system. Compete or lose! Waste your investment and move on.

I would really like to see a Chipotle in there. It would be a goldmine..

Put a middle eastern cuisine restaurant in there.

I wouldn't object to a restaurant like Burger King, Wendy's or McDonald's.

There's a severe lack of fast food options downtown, especially given the increase in daytime workers. One shouldn't have to go into the Ren Cen or drive to the outskirts of the CBD just to get a quick/cheap cheeseburger and fries.

Quote Originally Posted by 313WX View Post

There's a severe lack of fast food options downtown, especially given the increase in daytime workers. One shouldn't have to go into the Ren Cen or drive to the outskirts of the CBD just to get a quick/cheap cheeseburger and fries.
    I agree. While I like having other options, there are days when I want [[or need) a cheap alternative. I don't have $10-15 [[or more) to drop on lunch everyday. I usually bring a lunch, but there are days when I haven't made it to the store or I'm running too late to pack one. While I enjoy tacos from a food truck, they can get old! And I am not a Subway fan. And I don't usually feel like hiking to the Ren Cen. Other than that, there are few options to get in the $5-7 range.
    I'm still amazed that Ilitch hasn't put a Little Caesars downtown. I'm sure he'd sell a bunch of the lunch specials.

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyles View Post
    Put a middle eastern cuisine restaurant in there.

As much as I love middle eastern food, there is already one a block away.

Quote Originally Posted by jmarie View Post
    I agree. While I like having other options, there are days when I want [[or need) a cheap alternative. I don't have $10-15 [[or more) to drop on lunch everyday. I usually bring a lunch, but there are days when I haven't made it to the store or I'm running too late to pack one. While I enjoy tacos from a food truck, they can get old! And I am not a Subway fan. And I don't usually feel like hiking to the Ren Cen. Other than that, there are few options to get in the $5-7 range.
    I'm still amazed that Ilitch hasn't put a Little Caesars downtown. I'm sure he'd sell a bunch of the lunch specials.
    Try Lunchtime Global in the First National building. They're usually pretty quick, in your price range, and better than fast food, IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by archfan View Post
    Try Lunchtime Global in the First National building. They're usually pretty quick, in your price range, and better than fast food, IMO.
    Thanks for the suggestion. I've never eaten there. [[I only started working downtown this summer, so I'm still learning.)

I know there are a few places to eat cheaply. [[Although if you don't like hotdogs/coneys, it knocks out some options.) Especially if you learn the specials at places

[[I know I sound extremely cheap, LOL. I don't mind spending once in a while, but the week before last I didn't make it to the grocery store and ate out everyday. I don't have the money to spend $50-75 on lunch for the week! Yikes!)

Thanks for the suggestion. I've never eaten there. [[I only started working downtown this summer, so I'm still learning.)

I know there are a few places to eat cheaply. [[Although if you don't like hotdogs/coneys, it knocks out some options.) Especially if you learn the specials at places

[[I know I sound extremely cheap, LOL. I don't mind spending once in a while, but the week before last I didn't make it to the grocery store and ate out everyday. I don't have the money to spend $50-75 on lunch for the week! Yikes!)
    I'm not recommending Al-Karar's because it's cheap [[although it is inexpensive); I'm recommending it because it's good.

http://www.crainsdetroit.com/article...-cafe-al-karar

http://www.yelp.com/biz/cafe-al-karar-detroit-2

Lunch at Wendy's or McDonald's is $8. Hardly cheap, and it sucks.

Quote Originally Posted by Gpwrangler View Post
    Lunch at Wendy's or McDonald's is $8. Hardly cheap
    Not everyone needs a super size meal. You can get a cheeseburger and fries off the value menus for $3 tops. And it certainly beats having to pay $10-$15+ and having to wait 15-30 minutes for food at fast casual restaurants.

and it sucks.
    To each his/her own.
    Last edited by 313WX; September-07-15 at 09:44 AM.

Nothing wrong with that at all. Detroit is probably about the only major American city in the country that lacks quick/cheap food options in its CBD, which is unfortunate.

And quite frankly, the fact is every typical person occasionally craves a Double Quarter Pounder or a Whopper. When these cravings come about, it would certainly be nice to not have to get in a car and take a 10-15 minute drive to Chrysler/Mack or Canfield/Woodward to get one.
    Last edited by 313WX; September-07-15 at 09:43 AM.

I totally agree!

Right now in the CBD your only option is to go to the RenCen which is so far away from all the action for some folks.

Some of the recent renos at McD's and Wendy's are quite impressive for fast food - fireplaces, nicer seating, flat screens, etc. You're likely to have fewer screaming kids in a CBD location as well. Hate to say it but homeless can be issue.

Nothing wrong with that at all. Detroit is probably about the only major American city in the country that lacks quick/cheap food options in its CBD, which is unfortunate.

And quite frankly, the fact is every typical person occasionally craves a Double Quarter Pounder or a Whopper. When these cravings come about, it would certainly be nice to not have to get in a car and take a 10-15 minute drive to Chrysler/Mack or Canfield/Woodward to get one.
    I really can't tell whether or not you're serious.

Quote Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
    I really can't tell whether or not you're serious.
    I guess that's a problem you will have to work out on your own then.
    Last edited by 313WX; September-07-15 at 03:46 PM.

if you are spending $8 at those places you are eating too much

Hopefully you're not leaving a tip. Wendy's is a bit more expensive than McDo but they're still cheaper than an 'eating out' place for lunch.
    Last edited by dtowncitylover; September-07-15 at 03:03 PM.

I do like the idea of a McDonald's in this location. Like it or not, every major city has fast food in its downtown, and its a huge foot-traffic draw.

A good fast-casual like Chipotle would be another great option.

..or walking three blocks to the Ren Cen? I mean after eating a double quarter pounder or whopper meal, walking might be a good thing. will the Campus Martius McDs need on site parking and a drive thru too? #thestruggleisreal #sterlingheightsyes!
    Last edited by bailey; September-08-15 at 10:36 AM.

Guess I got the $5 off on my Olga Reward card just in time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast