Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Windows covered at The Grille Midtown, did they close?

I will admit I hadn't eaten there since it had first opened, due to a very underwhelming experience.

When I drove by on Woodward today, the windows had brown paper covering, making me wonder if they closed. Has anyone heard anything / know anything?

According to detroit.eater.com, they're renaming the restaurant, redoing the menu and reopening on September 14th.

http://detroit.eater.com/2015/9/1/92...ghborhood-wing

Quote Originally Posted by Malcove Magnesia View Post
    According to detroit.eater.com, they're renaming the restaurant, redoing the menu and reopening on September 14th.

I ate there on my visit to Detroit a few weeks ago and the food was just OK. But I'm a picky eater, and live & eat in Chicago. The food here is wonderful, and I just don't find cities that compare.
    Anyway, the service was good. The prices were good. Good location -- except there are a lot of bums on Woodward in that block, begging for money.

Streetcar construction on Woodward undoubtedly hurt business this summer. Painful for lots of businesses on that stretch. Well, maybe not for the liquor store at Willis. Hope there aren't other casualties. Glad the Grille at Midtown folks are going to reopen.

Cheeky knock on Chicago - If Chicago is your idea of good fair, the bums on Woodward could have shown you a few spots to grab some grub in Detroit.

I ate here a few times. Always kind of crappy experience. Hope they get it together. It seemed to have some promise, and the decor was very nice.

When I think of Chicago cuisine, I think Grant Acatz and the entire molecular gastronomy scene, which I am not a fan of.

Of course I miss having Jimmy Schmidt in Detroit, and Rattlesnake Club is nothing of what it used to be. But altogether I think there is more energy and more choices in the Detroit scene now than there was in the early 90s when Jimmy won his James Beard award.

Quote Originally Posted by Malcove Magnesia View Post

I think this may be a better choice for them. Their food was simply just not as good as other options of comparable price and style.

Any restaurant worth its Mrs. Dash needs a good nachos platter. They must have this to sustain my patronage. Proprietors, take notice.

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyles View Post
    Any restaurant worth its Mrs. Dash needs a good nachos platter. They must have this to sustain my patronage. Proprietors, take notice.
    Are you talking about REAL nachos or Sears nachos? If you mean real nachos, try Los Altos, Vernor East of Central, or my new favorite, La Rosita, McGraw, between Lonyo and Central.

Can't blame this on M1 treetcar construction...HopCat is packed, the Whitney doesn't appear to be suffering. The "Grille" was mediocre at best. Service was amateurish but friendly. I'm not sure appetizers, salads and a big focus on grilled, fried, and boneless wings will do it.

Quote Originally Posted by detroitbob View Post
    Can't blame this on M1 treetcar construction...HopCat is packed, the Whitney doesn't appear to be suffering. The "Grille" was mediocre at best. Service was amateurish but friendly. I'm not sure appetizers, salads and a big focus on grilled, fried, and boneless wings will do it.
    Maybe if they put it all in a food truck the yupsters would get in line?

Speaking of covered up windows does anyone know what is going on at Luci and Ethel's Diner inside the Leland hotel? I drove by today and the windows were covered up as well.

Glad they will try to step up their game.

'So-so' doesn't cut it anymore anywhere, especially now that Detroit's food scene has awakened and taken some requisite steps forward. Discerning eaters are going to save their time and money for any number of places and won't be messing around with places that aren't on point. That is not to say that everything needs to be "farm to table" or have some sort of special bent. Ordinary and traditional can be just fine, but there is no excuse for poor execution.