Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Detroit and Toledo

Here's yet another Toledo thread. Toledo may be of a similar importance to Metro Detroit as Flint may be, but Toledo's far enough away to be out-of-state. I recently went back there and noticed quite a few similarities with Detroit.

-The tallest buildings of both cities are located near the edge of their downtowns.
    -There are similar bridges in both cities that are located about at the same location relative to downtown.
    -Both cities have river crossings in their downtowns-in Detroit, it's a tunnel; in Toledo, it's a bridge.
    -A number of neighborhoods are quite similar to the poorer neighborhoods of Detroit.
    -Both cities are, in some capacity, staging comebacks.
    -Both of Toledo's malls are strangely enough located in relation to their downtowns-just as Franklin Park is located in relation to downtown Toledo like Fairlane in relation to downtown Detroit, the Shops at Fallen Timbers and downtown Toledo are located in a relation similar to Partridge Creek and downtown Detroit.

Toledo North Assembly from the I-75/I-280 interchange, August 2015.

Maumee River and downtown Toledo skyline from the Skyway.

Fifth Third Field, which marked the beginning of downtown Toledo's comeback just like how Comerica Park started downtown Detroit's comeback.

Huron Street in downtown Toledo. You'll notice somewhat that it has improved tremendously since my last visit to downtown Toledo in the 1990's.

Summit Street in downtown Toledo. Lots of similarities with Jefferson in downtown Detroit abound here.

One Seagate, Toledo's tallest building.

The studios of the local CBS affiliate, WTOL, are located downtown in a relation that's similar to where WDIV's studios are located.
    Last edited by mtburb; September-02-15 at 12:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mtburb View Post
    -Both cities have river crossings in their downtowns-in Detroit, it's a tunnel; in Toledo, it's a bridge.
    Isn't this true of just about all central cities settled before the 20th century?

If you think Detroit's downtown is devoid of people [[thankfully much less so now) stop in downtown Toledo on any weekday.

Quote Originally Posted by 401don View Post
    If you think Detroit's downtown is devoid of people [[thankfully much less so now) stop in downtown Toledo on any weekday.
    Well, there was some considerable pedestrian activity in downtown Toledo when I visited [[this was on a Saturday though), but nothing close to Campus Martius-area levels.