Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Car dealerships and Fond Memories of the 63 Stingray

In 1963 the 1963 Corvette Split Window Stingray came out. I was attending Jackson Jr. High School at the time and my travels to and from school with my best bud took us past the Chevy Dealership on the corner of Mack and Chalmers. [[Don't remember the name of the dealership) They had a Stingray in the showroom and my buddy and I would go in the dealership and sit in the car every day! We must have taken a vette brochure every week. I heard that some owners of the 63 Vette cut the split window out to make their car look like the 64 model. Big Mistake!
    Good memories and good times. Still think that the 63 was the greatest Vette.

The only year it was made, which makes it highly collectable. Don't know about it being the greatest Vette ever though, a lot of people consider the 67 with the 427-435hp just as iconic, along with the ZL-1 and others.
    Last edited by Cincinnati_Kid; August-30-15 at 10:40 AM.

I'm with you about the '63 Corvette. I guess you got yourself a Corgi or Dinky version of same.

As to the dealer on the corner of Mack and Chalmers; could it have been Hanson Chevrolet?

Check this thread out, you will see a post by Hornwrecker from
    Friday, August 11, 2006 - 11:31 pm with a picture of a dealership in the 1930's:
    http://www.atdetroit.net/forum/messa...tml?1155609947

Default 1963 Base Corvette Sport Coupe = $4,257.00

Opitional 327ci 360hp Engine - Fuel Injection = $430.40.

Name:  Corvette-1.jpg
Views: 457
Size:  71.5 KB
    Name:  Corvette-2.jpg
Views: 532
Size:  247.7 KB

There must be something wrong with me. I never had any attraction towards muscle cars at all. Always thought they were kind of dumb and impractical. If I can't haul home a 4x8 sheet of plywood in my vehicle, I don't want it. But that's just me.

Quote Originally Posted by canuck View Post
    I'm with you about the '63 Corvette. I guess you got yourself a Corgi or Dinky version of same.

As to the dealer on the corner of Mack and Chalmers; could it have been Hanson Chevrolet?

Check this thread out, you will see a post by Hornwrecker from
    Friday, August 11, 2006 - 11:31 pm with a picture of a dealership in the 1930's:
    http://www.atdetroit.net/forum/messa...tml?1155609947
    Sounds right, Thanks canuck!

Quote Originally Posted by Ray1936 View Post
    There must be something wrong with me. I never had any attraction towards muscle cars at all. Always thought they were kind of dumb and impractical. If I can't haul home a 4x8 sheet of plywood in my vehicle, I don't want it. But that's just me.
    I have a 1985 Camaro that I removed the passenger bucket seat from. I can haul long boards in it if I keep the hatchback open.I also have a step up converter,so I can run a full sized desktop computer in my car.

Quote Originally Posted by RaumVogel View Post
    I have a 1985 Camaro that I removed the passenger bucket seat from. I can haul long boards in it if I keep the hatchback open.I also have a step up converter,so I can run a full sized desktop computer in my car.
    Next step is you change the engine to run on natural gas and turn it into a food truck.

When I started working in 1968 I started looking for a car. A guy in Woodhaven had a 63 split window for sale. I went to look at it with my dad. I liked it but, bought a new 68 Road Runner instead. If I had a place to store it I would bought the vette. Would have made a nice retirement investment.

Quote Originally Posted by CassTechGrad View Post
    Opitional 327ci 360hp Engine - Fuel Injection = $430.40.

Name:  Corvette-1.jpg
Views: 457
Size:  71.5 KB
    Name:  Corvette-2.jpg
Views: 532
Size:  247.7 KB
    Every thing is kosher on that 2nd pic, except that black lawn jockey she seems to be either waving to, or tossed that hat on it's arm.
    Last edited by Cincinnati_Kid; August-30-15 at 08:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by canuck View Post
    The Chevy dealer was actually at the corner of Mack and Lakewood, which is a block west of Chalmers. It was called Glenn Walker Chevrolet by the time my cousin, who lived on Lakewood then, took me there to sit in Vettes, Chevelle SSs, and Camaros in the late '60s [[he used to stop by on his way to Jackson too). But it had been called Hanson Chevrolet until sometime in the early to mid '60s.

Quote Originally Posted by Cincinnati_Kid View Post
    Every thing is kosher on that 2nd pic, except that black lawn jockey she seems to be either waving to, or tossed that hat on it's arm.
    Well, and that very pre-70s tagline "It's a Man's Car" [[with cute little '60s turnaround twist).

Quote Originally Posted by EastsideAl View Post
    The Chevy dealer was actually at the corner of Mack and Lakewood, which is a block west of Chalmers. It was called Glenn Walker Chevrolet by the time my cousin, who lived on Lakewood then, took me there to sit in Vettes, Chevelle SSs, and Camaros in the late '60s [[he used to stop by on his way to Jackson too). But it had been called Hanson Chevrolet until sometime in the early to mid '60s.

Eastside Al:

That's it, Glen Walker Chevrolet! Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ray1936 View Post
    If you have a muscle car or a sports car and need to haul plywood I'm sure you can find a friend with a truck who would be more than happy to swap vehicles with you for a day.