Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default What would happen if all of our pro teams do just as bad next year as the Tigers now?

Imagine next year if the Tigers, Red Wings, Lions and Pistons all finish last in their respective divisions in 2016...what would happen if this actually happened?

I believe the last time something like this happened, the city of Detroit itself had already hit bottom for a good number of years, placing that around 1980.

The Lions went 9-7 in Billy Sims rookie year, finished 2nd, and just missed the playoffs, The Tigers finished 4th at 84-78, Red Wings were last in their division, at 26-43-11, and the Pistons had the second worst record behind Dallas 15-67 at 21-61 in 1980. So it must be another year when they all finished last.

Even with miserable seasons, all four will make money. And that's the bottom line.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray1936 View Post
    Even with miserable seasons, all four will make money. And that's the bottom line.
    And the sun will still rise the next day.

Then I would get to go to many more games.
    Losing records result in empty seats. Tickets become easy to come by, for relatively cheap prices. I would have lots of elbow room. And then I wouldn't feel bad about buying $9 beers.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevgoblue View Post
    Then I would get to go to many more games.
    Losing records result in empty seats. Tickets become easy to come by, for relatively cheap prices. I would have lots of elbow room. And then I wouldn't feel bad about buying $9 beers.
    Losing records also, to a far lesser extent, indirectly result in more "cord cutters" [[aka people giving up on pay television and switching to antennas).

Well, it looks like we now have predictions...wait, I think these are fake.

https://3dwarehouse.sketchup.com/mod...3-958e4ccf9524

We'll be fine. Sports means little to a region's health.

Quote Originally Posted by Bham1982 View Post
    We'll be fine. Sports means little to a region's health.
    It still should be noted, though, that during that time when all four teams had losing records in the same years, it was during a time when Metro Detroit as a whole had hit bottom, especially the city. The Big Three was starting to feel the effects on newcomers from Europe and Asia with smaller, more friendly cars, crime was very rampant, independent businesses struggled for survival...

Thought living in New York City in the 70's was difficult? Well, the effects were worse here.