Restoration at Woodward and Baltimore in Detroit
ATWATER PARK COMING ONLINE »

FUN THINGS TO DO IN DETROIT »



Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Results 51 to 75 of 81
  1. #51

    Default

    I want to go on record as in favor of this demolition, since I tend to complain about all demolitions of older buildings.

  2. #52

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 1953 View Post
    I want to go on record as in favor of this demolition, since I tend to complain about all demolitions of older buildings.
    Me too. It would be nice if the could save the façade and build inside of it but if not, it isn't a major loss. Lets get Washington Blvd. up and running.

  3. #53

    Default

    I'm usually never in favor of demolition, but this one I'm in favor of. I'm sure that Gilbert will put in first floor retail on the parking deck and it's necessary for the Book Tower. Agreed, if they could save the façade, that would be cool, but if not, it's ok.

  4. #54

    Default

    This angle offers an interesting cleaned vs uncleaned side contrast. How wonderful to see this restored to full glory.
    Name:  Book-Tower-detroti-Cleaning.jpg
Views: 1819
Size:  64.7 KB

  5. #55

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lowell View Post
    This angle offers an interesting cleaned vs uncleaned side contrast. How wonderful to see this restored to full glory.
    Name:  Book-Tower-detroti-Cleaning.jpg
Views: 1819
Size:  64.7 KB
    It is crazy how filthy it was.

  6. #56

    Default

    The Book Building and Tower once had a very elaborate twelve story parking garage at the rear of the building designed by Louis Kamper and built in 1928 just after the tower opened.

    It was demolished to make way for the People Mover service building.

    Picture from the Historical Detroit Area Architecture Facebook page. Ben Gravel, moderator.


  7. #57

    Default

    Was just downtown on Friday and the Book looked really nice. Big improvement! Also good to see work ongoing at the Stott.

    As far as the parking garage with ground floor retail - ok, sounds fine.

  8. #58

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Zads07 View Post
    Who would've thought, 10 years ago, the Broderick, Whitney, Stott and Book Tower, all empty, would be renovated.
    Speaking of the Washington Boulevard turnaround, how long ago was the Westin Hotel (Book Cadillac) building refurbished and re-opened? I saw interior photos when it was abandoned and it was a mess inside.

  9. #59

    Default

    On the surface, I am ok with Gilbert's new garage on the site. My question is this:

    The proposed garage site has a relatively small footprint, as you could only squeeze in about 50 parking spots per floor. Given that the site is afjacent to a short stub of State Street (that dead ends), my question is two fold:

    1- Will the garage footprint be expanded to include or "bridge" State Street to give more space? I would prefer the bridge scenario, but would not object to using the now unused space of the State Street dead end.

    2- Will the vehicle entrance/exit to Washington use this stub of State Street, or will there be a new curb cut on Washington for the entrance/exit? I hope for the former and not the latter in this case.

    Thoughts?

  10. #60

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by night-timer View Post
    Speaking of the Washington Boulevard turnaround, how long ago was the Westin Hotel (Book Cadillac) building refurbished and re-opened? I saw interior photos when it was abandoned and it was a mess inside.
    Reopened in 2008 after two years of remodeling.

  11. #61

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Atticus View Post
    On the surface, I am ok with Gilbert's new garage on the site. My question is this:

    The proposed garage site has a relatively small footprint, as you could only squeeze in about 50 parking spots per floor. Given that the site is afjacent to a short stub of State Street (that dead ends), my question is two fold:

    1- Will the garage footprint be expanded to include or "bridge" State Street to give more space? I would prefer the bridge scenario, but would not object to using the now unused space of the State Street dead end.

    2- Will the vehicle entrance/exit to Washington use this stub of State Street, or will there be a new curb cut on Washington for the entrance/exit? I hope for the former and not the latter in this case.

    Thoughts?
    I think at this point they are factoring that in considering they want to go 12 floors with two floors of retail and 500 spaces. I hope they have multiple car elevators in that thing as it may take awhile to retrieve automobiles, especially considering they mentioned a hotel going into the Book.

    If they wanted to expand the garage and bridge State St. they could team up with Karp who owns the building and lot south of the Book Tower.

    http://www.crainsdetroit.com/article...-book-cadillac

    I am hoping that they start moving on their property soon and that it is a substantial addition to Washington Boulevard.

  12. #62

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lowell View Post
    This angle offers an interesting cleaned vs uncleaned side contrast. How wonderful to see this restored to full glory.
    Name:  Book-Tower-detroti-Cleaning.jpg
Views: 1819
Size:  64.7 KB
    It just occurred to me that that photo could be of particular value to future archeologists.

    The simultaneous juxtaposition of the old and new appearance could help establish dates over great time scales. It says "on this date we reset the archeological Book Tower timer in this way."

    It really should be timestamped and secured away in a time capsule somewhere (like here?) along with any related ephemera.
    Last edited by Jimaz; September-12-17 at 07:22 PM.

  13. #63

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jimaz View Post

    It really should be timestamped and secured away in a time capsule somewhere (like here?) along with any related ephemera.
    Yes and I want to be part of the record as someone who posted something in this thread.....

  14. #64

    Default

    Just to tie two threads together: If the caissons are already there, build the 81 story twin for the Amazon HQ. Two birds.

  15. #65

    Default

    It looks like the two story facade will remain as part of the project.

    https://detroit.curbed.com/2017/9/14...ilding-parking

  16. #66

    Default

    Name:  PanAm.jpg
Views: 1085
Size:  78.1 KB

    Just thought this was a neat uncovering. I'm fairly certain this was the Pan Am office when the Book Complex was known as Airline Row.

  17. #67

    Default

    Name:  2459A8CD-794F-4BFA-8776-DD30FD149826.jpg
Views: 1037
Size:  20.2 KB

    https://youtu.be/hFbSi4lZ-eM

    This video shows Washington Blvd in 1964, and United and Delta airline offices.

  18. #68

    Default

    Anyone know what the final plans are for the external fire escape?

  19. #69

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 401don View Post
    Anyone know what the final plans are for the external fire escape?
    Gigantic glass water slide. $5 to ride.

  20. #70

    Default

    From my view, it looks like they are already rehabilitating it.

  21. #71

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Atticus View Post
    The proposed garage site has a relatively small footprint, as you could only squeeze in about 50 parking spots per floor.
    where did 50 come from? is that your opinion? from what I have seen with this and Hudson block, gilbert is pursuing automated valet parking/retrieval thus no drive lanes or ramps.

  22. #72

    Default

    Another update and a public tour this Saturday:

    Detroit Free Press: Historic Detroit building to get major restoration

    https://www.freep.com/story/money/bu...it/2196930001/

  23. #73

    Default

    From Curbed:
    This blend of public and private space will be an interesting challenge for the design team. ODA says it will open up the lobby to the public through multiple entrances and attract tenants like a cafe or gallery. The three-story glass skylight in the atrium will be resurfaced, creating a warm and welcoming space.

    “All of these uses are going to mix together and open to an urban experience within the historic envelop,” Chen says. “Each one of those uses requires its own circulation, entryways, corridors. They will be independent and secure, but at the same time, respective of the open public space and structure.”

    Renderings:






  24. #74

    Default

    This is absolutely gorgeous. I truly hope the renovation turns out like the renderings. I'm really excited to see the interior in the coming years.

  25. #75

    Default

    I'm a little confused about the orientation of the atrium. It's going to have natural light so this must be wedged in the middle of the midrise portion. but then the elevators are right on the narrow side which means they could only be possible in that position if they're for the tower, yes? The book tower elevators directly face the south wall?

    Oh and yeah this looks amazing pure Detroit grandiosity!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Instagram
BEST ONLINE FORUM FOR
DETROIT-BASED DISCUSSION
DetroitYES Awarded BEST OF DETROIT 2015 - Detroit MetroTimes - Best Online Forum for Detroit-based Discussion 2015

ENJOY DETROITYES?


AND HAVE ADS REMOVED DETAILS »





Welcome to DetroitYES! Kindly Consider Turning Off Your Ad BlockingX
DetroitYES! is a free service that relies on revenue from ad display [regrettably] and donations. We notice that you are using an ad-blocking program that prevents us from earning revenue during your visit.
Ads are REMOVED for Members who donate to DetroitYES! [You must be logged in for ads to disappear]
DONATE HERE »
And have Ads removed.