Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

9 years ago on this forum...... the Book Tower Fire Escape thread....

http://www.atdetroit.net/forum/messa...tml?1146454742

Just how nice is that fire escape?
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Supposedly the foundations for the 80 story tower were laid and "capped" by the annex which was in front of the now demo'd parking garage, so if that is true, the parking deck shouldn't be a problem at that site. I remember a friend who worked in that portion of the building indicating there is a basement but I'm not sure if there are more that 1 sub level.

This is, to me, gigantic. Anyone willing to take on that project knows there is going to be a huge investment to be made. DG steps up to the plate again.

But that whole fire escape thing. I guess I'm not clear on it. Can/can't it be on the outside of the building for residential? Can someone clarify?

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyles View Post
    Will the renovations be done by this time next year? Hopefully they'll get rid of the blah green color up top.
    That green color is called a patina which is a process that occurs when copper oxidizes. So they will likely replace it with new copper just as the Book Cadillac but it will be green again at some point!

Quote Originally Posted by dtowncitylover View Post
    Uh no. That's an iconic part of the building. That's like saying getting rid of the green part of the Fisher Building or taking down the red ball off the Penobscot. NO. NO. NO. It probably needs a good scrub, but so does the rest of the building.

Can anyone give me a description of what offices were in there? I remember reading that ground level was full of airline offices, nicknamed "Airline Row". But what else was in there?
    that green color is icky. Color is bright red. or blue.

Are you really that unfamiliar about what happens to copper roofs of old buildings once they oxidize? Do you find the Statue of Liberty "icky"??

https://www.google.com/search?q=oxod...w=1360&bih=599

And no... once the top turns green [[if replaced with a new copper roof), it will not be replaced for a long time... lots of buildings in the world have that green copper roof, such as the Belle Isle Aquarium.
    Last edited by Gistok; August-31-15 at 12:24 PM.

This is a huge project and for those of us who appreciate the Book Towers uniqueness to the city's skyline, very exciting. To make this kind of financial investment in the CBD the people at Bedrock must have more tenants in the pipeline looking to make the move into downtown Detroit. Excellent news for everyone who wants to see the city improve. For the folks that are worried about Gilbert's footprint being to large all I can say is buy a parking lot or the Free Press Building and start some new construction or renovating yourself.

Bright red or blue??? Why? Do you want it to look like a ghetto liquor store?

What a great building. Minus the copper roof, of course. Lol.

Quote Originally Posted by SyGolden48236 View Post
    Bright red or blue??? Why? Do you want it to look like a ghetto liquor store?
    I think he just wants it to look like the interiors of Gilbert's "renovated" properties. How about that blue and pink checkered look from the Chase building halls painted on the roof of the Book?

Quote Originally Posted by mikeg19 View Post
    ... But that whole fire escape thing. I guess I'm not clear on it. Can/can't it be on the outside of the building for residential? Can someone clarify?
    Yes, a fire escape can be on the outside, but the problem with this outside fire escape is that decades of rust from it not being constantly repainted have made it unsafe. There's rusted joints that may give way causing someone to fall to their death.
    Last edited by davewindsor; September-01-15 at 09:30 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by davewindsor View Post
    I think he just wants it to look like the interiors of Gilbert's "renovated" properties. How about that blue and pink checkered look from the Chase building halls painted on the roof of the Book?

Ah, now this is colorful and attractive. Something similar can be done to spruce up the roof, especially if parties can be held there.

Ah, now this is colorful and attractive. Something similar can be done to spruce up the roof, especially if parties can be held there.

Um...... have you seen the roof of the Book Tower, the area that is currently copper clad? It is very steep and nobody can safely be up there. Parties cannot be held on the roof of the Book Tower.

Quote Originally Posted by SyGolden48236 View Post
    Um...... have you seen the roof of the Book Tower, the area that is currently copper clad? It is very steep and nobody can safely be up there. Parties cannot be held on the roof of the Book Tower.
    He probably means the roof of the Book Building which may be possible but we don't know what the use of either building is yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    9 years ago on this forum...... the Book Tower Fire Escape thread....

http://www.atdetroit.net/forum/messa...tml?1146454742

Just how nice is that fire escape?
    While you guys where working on the parking situation I was wondering about the fire escape. Wonder if the renovation will have to include one in some form or its history?

I see the Book tower becoming residential, not the office block that it previously once was. Maybe some retail on the ground floor. Along with MCS, Detroit's most iconic grand buildings that were too good to get demo'd.

Few things are sure in life, but you can take to the bank the fact that Gilbert did not pay anything close to $30 million for the Book. And, he didn't pay $18 million for the Stott. He's not crazy.

The Fisher Bldg and the Albert Kahn Building plus a 2000 car garage were exposed to the world market at auction and sold for $12.5 million. All the bidders but the buyers thought that was too much.

My guess is Gilbert named his [[very, very low) price and they took it. Who else in the world would buy it? It's not like qualified buyer/developers were falling all over themselves to buy them. Those buildings are not assets; they're liabilities at this point.

How altruistic is Gilbert? If you have $30m to buy an investment property, you would have a wide choice of investment properties anywhere in the world. I love the Book Tower, but I doubt it would be anyone's first choice at a hefty $30m and years of repairs.

Quote Originally Posted by davewindsor View Post

The last one looks like a kiddy day care, but then that's Midtown these days.

Quote Originally Posted by night-timer View Post
    How altruistic is Gilbert? If you have $30m to buy an investment property, you would have a wide choice of investment properties anywhere in the world. I love the Book Tower, but I doubt it would be anyone's first choice at a hefty $30m and years of repairs.
    Seems to be a fairly low price to pay for a premium property. Of course, it is competing with newer or continually updated buildings that clients are used to negotiating. The important thing is to market these landmarks to renters who will appreciate the historic quality of such.

Now with lights! Skyline looks a bit different than even a few weeks ago.

Name:  IMG_4753.JPG
Views: 1690
Size:  38.6 KB

I just wanted to share these photos of the Book Tower and complex from the early 70s. I never got to see those days and it's sometimes difficult to imagine where things used to be but this photographer, Donn Thorson, is incredible. Many more photos of downtown Detroit from the 70s too, especially Washington Blvd.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/donn_t...n/photostream/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/donn_t...n/photostream/

Thank you Donn!

Noticed this Bedrock's Book Tower page.

this 38-story landmark will offer a boutique hotel, office space, ground floor retail, and private living.

this 38-story landmark will offer a boutique hotel, office space, ground floor retail, and private living.

http://www.bedrockdetroit.com/?prope...gton-boulevard

^^What a great banner photo on the Book Tower page. It really gives an example of what a special building it is.

http://www.mlive.com/news/detroit/in...lish_book.html

They want to demolish the small building on the corner for a parking structure. I would be for it if they did now and it was designed to go along with the building/boulevard as well as "retail on the first floor" kinda thing.
    Last edited by dtowncitylover; September-11-17 at 12:11 PM.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast