Restoration at Woodward and Baltimore in Detroit
ATWATER PARK COMING ONLINE »

FUN THINGS TO DO IN DETROIT »



Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 81
  1. #1

    Default Gilbert Buys Book Tower

    I know some people are not fans of Gilbert owning pretty much every building downtown but...

    The Book Tower is far and away my favorite building in Detroit and I'm so happy it's about to receive some TLC from our supreme leader.

    http://www.freep.com/story/money/bus...bert/71306686/
    Attachment 34152

  2. #2

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by scene View Post
    http://www.freep.com/story/money/bus...bert/71306686/

    I know some people are not fans of Gilbert owning pretty much every building downtown but...

    The Book Tower is far and away my favorite building in Detroit and I'm so happy it's about to receive some TLC from our supreme leader.
    Wow. Great news indeed! Love or hate Gilbert...he gets stuff done.

    Damn exciting to see the Stott and Book coming back online in the coming years.
    Last edited by stinkytofu; August-28-15 at 11:24 AM.

  3. #3

    Default

    Definitely not in favor of one person or organization owning all these properties, but still am thankful that they are getting some love! Wouldn't it be fabulous if that grand atrium ceiling were restored!!!

  4. #4

    Default

    Great!

    Imagine 10 years ago, that both the David Broderick and David Whitney would be renovated and that both Book Tower and the David Stott Building would be happening soon!

  5. #5

    Default

    Amazing news. Also noteworthy because it is certain to involve a considerable amount of residential development which hasn't been something Gilbert has done much up until now.

  6. #6

    Default

    you danny will do right by this one!

  7. #7

    Default

    If Statler City gets built and the Book revived, Washington Blvd. will really be transformed.

  8. #8

    Default

    I always thought this was the toughest building to renovate in the city. It's the tallest, there's three separate buildings to the complex and there's a lack of parking. In my mind, when this is renovated or at least in the process, the turnaround of Detroit is not only real, but it's really in full swing.

    Who would've thought, 10 years ago, the Broderick, Whitney, Stott and Book Tower, all empty, would be renovated.

  9. #9

    Default

    I cannot wait and hope this project is expedited. The Hudsons site has just dragged along. Still, I feel more confident than ever that something MIGHT come of this building.

    What would I do with it? In an ideal world? Part Hotel, Part Residential condos, Part Shopping Center, some service places like a Gym, Hair Salon, Tailor, etc. Maybe a small hotel but doubtful with the Holiday Inn and Westin right there.

  10. #10

    Default

    I work in Historic Preservation and would love for that two story building to be preserved, but I am also realistic; does anyone see that building being demolished for a parking structure to service the Book Building and Tower? If done properly, he could even build over the People Mover facility behind for additional parking. I would hate to see a massive parking structure built over the street combining the two story building's lot with the one across State Street.

  11. #11

    Default

    Way to go, Gilbert! Now buy the Guardian Building from Wayne County Gov't and Michigan Theatre Building from the slumlord Dennis Kelifinos! Let Gilberttown grow.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    3,501

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Zads07 View Post
    I always thought this was the toughest building to renovate in the city. It's the tallest, there's three separate buildings to the complex and there's a lack of parking. In my mind, when this is renovated or at least in the process, the turnaround of Detroit is not only real, but it's really in full swing.

    Who would've thought, 10 years ago, the Broderick, Whitney, Stott and Book Tower, all empty, would be renovated.
    There are probably some doubting Thomases (here) who say "I won't believe it unless I put my finger on the up button (of the elevator) and it takes me to the top floor which is finished like new."

    I remember posting in one of these threads probably last year that the next 10 years (say 2014 -2024) would be much greater than the past 10 years which was better than the previous 10 years.

    I believe I was saying that downtown Detroit had turned the corner and had real momentum. Some argued that point.

    That is certainly true. One by one buildings are coming back.

    I still like the term: "Detroit 2.0" Detroit is really rebooting and coming back post the 2008 crash and the municipal bankruptcy.
    Last edited by emu steve; August-28-15 at 01:31 PM.

  13. #13

    Default

    I wonder what will happen first... Renovated Book Tower moves in tenants... or Moroun puts last window in the Depot...

  14. #14

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by emu steve View Post
    There are probably some doubting Thomases (here) who say "I won't believe it unless I put my finger on the up button (of the elevator) and it takes me to the top floor which is finished like new."

    I remember posting in one of these threads probably last year that the next 10 years (say 2014 -2024) would be much greater than the past 10 years which was better than the previous 10 years.

    I believe I was saying that downtown Detroit had turned the corner and had real momentum. Some argued that point.

    That is certainly true. One by one buildings are coming back.

    I still like the term: "Detroit 2.0" Detroit is really rebooting and coming back post the 2008 crash and the municipal bankruptcy.
    Its always prudent to be a bit skeptical of development announcements in Detroit; certainly over the years so many things have been announced that went nowhere. However, Mr. Gilbert is not one to drop 30 million without a real game plan. This one will be interesting to follow, for sure.

    Given the choice between new construction on the Hudson's block and a rehab of the Book buildings, I'd opt for the latter in a heartbeat.

  15. #15

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by WPitonya View Post
    I work in Historic Preservation and would love for that two story building to be preserved, but I am also realistic; does anyone see that building being demolished for a parking structure to service the Book Building and Tower? If done properly, he could even build over the People Mover facility behind for additional parking. I would hate to see a massive parking structure built over the street combining the two story building's lot with the one across State Street.
    preserve the facade of the 2-story annex for street-level storefront and parking built above. span south of state street and continue parking on that surface lot and connect to people mover station.

  16. #16

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hybridy View Post
    preserve the facade of the 2-story annex for street-level storefront and parking built above. span south of state street and continue parking on that surface lot and connect to people mover station.
    I agree, but I hope if they continue the parking to the vacant lot to the south, they have a break in the street wall (even if the garage goes in 15 feet as it goes over State Street).

  17. #17
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    3,501

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DetroiterOnTheWestCoast View Post
    Its always prudent to be a bit skeptical of development announcements in Detroit; certainly over the years so many things have been announced that went nowhere. However, Mr. Gilbert is not one to drop 30 million without a real game plan. This one will be interesting to follow, for sure.

    Given the choice between new construction on the Hudson's block and a rehab of the Book buildings, I'd opt for the latter in a heartbeat.
    I hear you, but in the past there wasn't a whole lot of reason to move quickly and spend a ton of money with soft demand for commercial and residential space.

    Now the dynamics are completely different.

    Downtown is absorbing commercial and residential space as it is added to the inventory.

  18. #18

    Default

    Word of Advice: Add a turbocharger to the power washer!

  19. #19

    Default

    MLive has pictures of the interior - the lobby ceiling is impressive, but needs some work. It also looks like the Graystone Jazz Museum just locked the doors and walked away from their entire collection.

    http://www.mlive.com/news/detroit/in...kyscraper.html

  20. #20

    Default

    I dont know if Gilbert can build a large enough garage on the site of the 2-story building to accommodate the entire development. My hope is that since he is making a sizable investment that he perhaps partners with the folks at the Statler site to incorporate more parking and perhaps make that development a bit more substantial. If I recall correctly there were renderings of a new Quicken HQ on the Statler site years ago before he made the move. My guess is that he is still interested in that property and wouldn't mind being a part of the development as long as he has some say in what happens.

  21. #21

    Default

    Not to spend another mans money, but....

    Buy the vacant lot on the other side of State Street. Vacate the remaining stub of State and build a garage with ground retail over the combined lot. You would need to maintain access to DPM facility, but I bet that could be worked into a garage concept. I like the ideas about saving the façade.

  22. #22
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    2,257

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by archfan View Post
    MLive has pictures of the interior - the lobby ceiling is impressive, but needs some work. It also looks like the Graystone Jazz Museum just locked the doors and walked away from their entire collection.

    http://www.mlive.com/news/detroit/in...kyscraper.html
    Wow. I hope they find a good home for that stuff.

  23. #23

    Default

    Here is an image looking north from in front of the Westin Book Cadillac, by an out of town entertainer (Il Volo member as seen on PBS) taken this July... of the west side of Washington Blvd.

    The streetwall effect and especially the verticality of the Book Tower is very impressive.

    It's just a pity that the lame 5 story building planned for the Statler block is so low that you likely wouldn't be able to see much if any of it above the treetops at the angle taken in this image....
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Gistok; August-30-15 at 04:59 PM.

  24. #24

    Default

    Will the renovations be done by this time next year? Hopefully they'll get rid of the blah green color up top.

  25. #25

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyles View Post
    Will the renovations be done by this time next year? Hopefully they'll get rid of the blah green color up top.
    Uh no. That's an iconic part of the building. That's like saying getting rid of the green part of the Fisher Building or taking down the red ball off the Penobscot. NO. NO. NO. It probably needs a good scrub, but so does the rest of the building.

    Can anyone give me a description of what offices were in there? I remember reading that ground level was full of airline offices, nicknamed "Airline Row". But what else was in there?
    Last edited by dtowncitylover; August-30-15 at 09:09 PM.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Instagram
BEST ONLINE FORUM FOR
DETROIT-BASED DISCUSSION
DetroitYES Awarded BEST OF DETROIT 2015 - Detroit MetroTimes - Best Online Forum for Detroit-based Discussion 2015

ENJOY DETROITYES?


AND HAVE ADS REMOVED DETAILS »





Welcome to DetroitYES! Kindly Consider Turning Off Your Ad BlockingX
DetroitYES! is a free service that relies on revenue from ad display [regrettably] and donations. We notice that you are using an ad-blocking program that prevents us from earning revenue during your visit.
Ads are REMOVED for Members who donate to DetroitYES! [You must be logged in for ads to disappear]
DONATE HERE »
And have Ads removed.