Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default A Detroit Social Experiment

Since Detroit is in its regional growth, the next step is middle class family growth. What if occupy in Detroit neighborhood block with white families. Sounds strange, but others think that it would racist and drive poor blacks out of their ghetto hoods. To some folks having at least one block populated with whites could benefit neighbor relations with blacks or other ethnic peoples. Others think the having Caucasians in the Detroit black and almost blighted ghetto hood would be very dangerous and crime hazard.

What to you all think about this matter?

Any white person who lives in Detroit lives with blacks in the neighborhood.

There is no majority white neighborhood in the city.

On my block, in my neighborhood, I think I may be the only white homeowner. And to be fair - other than the first week of move in - I've never once noticed or cared. Get to the point where you judge people based on the content of their character/behavior and you'll be surprised how fast you don't even notice skin color.

I would like to have to least 10 to 20 white families from the suburbs or anywhere to move to any Detroit ghetto hood. Fix a home up, raise their kids their and mingle. You can still have security in your home just in case your homes ever gets robbed. If this social experiment works [[ Just as Dan Gilbert and the Quicken Loan Gang about to rehabbed over 56 Detroit homes) Then Detroit will be a beautiful neighborhood once again. Detroit's dark ages will be over soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    I would like to have to least 10 to 20 white families from the suburbs or anywhere to move to any Detroit ghetto hood. Fix a home up, raise their kids their and mingle. You can still have security in your home just in case your homes ever gets robbed.

Been there, done that. No thanks. I value the young'uns.

about that security....

http://www.clickondetroit.com/news/8...s-why/34960724

My perception is that the two biggest barriers are crime and schools. To the extent that both of those are intertwined with poverty, they are hard nuts to crack. That's why the growth in population has been related to younger people. They don't have kids yet, and they view themselves as invincible.

What pleases me is that this problem is not unique to Detroit. Many big cities have crime and failing schools. But they make it work. As will we.

Quote Originally Posted by BankruptcyGuy View Post
    My perception is that the two biggest barriers are crime and schools. To the extent that both of those are intertwined with poverty, they are hard nuts to crack. That's why the growth in population has been related to younger people. They don't have kids yet, and they view themselves as invincible.

What pleases me is that this problem is not unique to Detroit. Many big cities have crime and failing schools. But they make it work. As will we.
    As you said, public schools are generally bad in all big cities. Therefore, to me, the two biggest barriers are crime and lack of diversity [[income levels, racial, educational background, life experiences, etc.).

Quote Originally Posted by BankruptcyGuy View Post

Amen. It is crime and schools that are the biggest barriers. [[Car insurance isn't far behind!)

Where I don't agree with you is that they are 'intertwined with poverty'.

Yes, there is a correlation. But that's not causation.

Crime has been shown to be controllable. And policing is becoming much more a profession. We do have a huge problem with urban policing. Its gonna be hard to convince those who believe police are the problem to believe that better policing is the solution too.

Schools are rapidly changing. Experimentation is now possible. Families are now freer than ever before to choose the school that's best for them. The fruit of school choice is just now starting to bear fruit.

I agree that big cities can make schools work. We just have to keep the conservative school unions from convincing voters that the solution to schools is a return to school board monopolies.

I, too, am optimistic.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Wesson View Post
    Been there, done that. No thanks. I value the young'uns.

about that security....

http://www.clickondetroit.com/news/8...s-why/34960724
    It will pass. So far fewer white families are moving back to Gilberttown and Midtown areas in Detroit. There are white families moving to Palmer Woods, University Homes and Indian Village. This plan should work, only they have to do is embrace the everyday urban crime problems.

Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    It will pass. So far fewer white families are moving back to Gilberttown and Midtown areas in Detroit. There are white families moving to Palmer Woods, University Homes and Indian Village. This plan should work, only they have to do is embrace the everyday urban crime problems.

How exactly does one embrace crime problems...

Small military installation. Surrounding homes can be occupied by military instead of having barracks.

Currently there is a social experiment going on in Waverly St. south of Davison Rd. Between Linwood St and Woodrow Wilson St at the corner Muslim Mosque. A small ethnic Muslim community is being formed. Older once blighted homes are being rebuilt and soon it will grow throughout Detroit's west side.