Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Times Article on Illegal Scrapping in Detroit

The New York Times wrote a long piece on the illegal scrapping problem in Detroit: http://www.nytimes.com/2015/03/16/us/crackdown-in-a-detroit-stripped-of-metal-parts.html?_r=0

It's from a few months back, but I couldn't find any mention of it here. Among other things it discusses recent efforts to address the problem by trying to enforce good behavior at the scrap yards. Does anyone know how that's going?
    Last edited by bust; August-27-15 at 03:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bust View Post
    The New York Times wrote a long piece on the illegal scrapping problem in Detroit: http://www.nytimes.com/2015/03/16/us/crackdown-in-a-detroit-stripped-of-metal-parts.html?_r=0

It's from a few months back, but I couldn't find any mention of it here. Among other things it discusses recent efforts to address the problem by trying to enforce good behavior at the scrap yards. Does anyone know how that's going?
    Scrap prices are the only thing that puts a damper on scrapping. The damage has already been done.

How's it going? Not very well.

Scrap prices are through the floor currently here it is $3.50 for a 100 lb compared to $12 a year ago.

I did not read the link the OP posted but I did read the FBI and fed studies after the other posting about the street light wiring still being stolen.

So I was wondering why when we were able to slam down on the scrap companies the issue either no longer exists or when it does LEO have some teeth,but yet on the FBL report Michigan as a state is one of the worse in the country.

The FBI report concludes that there is a direct link between poverty levels and the level of scrapping,and that is why the state has so many problems.

So the extensive knowledge and brain power of the FBI fails to see direct correlation between scrap yard representation in Lansing and the high level of scrapping still continuing in the state.

Its really hard to figure out.

State A has rules and they work. They kinda like their citizens so they help with quality of life issues.

State B has no rules and they do not work. They kinda like the support and kick backs from the scrapping industry,their citizens are just the things that get stuck to the bottom of their shoes when they walk about.