Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Tigers Hit Bottom [[Again) - New Manager Needed

After scoring 5 runs total in their final 3 weekend games against Texas, disappointing huge undeserved crowds of 40,000, the Tigers lead 5-0 against Cincy tonight. They then proceed to allow 10 runs in the bottom of the 6th. I realize Ausmus has to play the bullpen he's been given, but when your players are getting agitated as the season drags on and you desperately need a win, you don't bring in the likes of Gorzelanny, Felix, etc. that are strictly roster fillers and have zero chance of being on next year's team. You bring in Wilson or somebody who has at least a chance of holding down the fort so you can win a game before your team totally loses what little respect it has left for you.

Avila has already stated Ausmus will finish out the season but he is now clearly a lame duck manager and I've been hugely disappointed in the job he's done this year. I don't blame him for everything though. The terrible base running, pitch selection, lack of situational hitting, etc. by a veteran team has been astonishing. How do you lead the league in batting average and on-base percentage and still end up 8th in runs scored? So much for Billyball theory.

He's too damn inexperienced to manage the Tigers. We need somebody like Sparky Anderson: an old, battle-tested SOB who knows what the hell he's doing. Just wait 'til next year!

This team has needed a better coach since they hired Jim Leyland. I think they thought they were getting some of this Jim when they hired him:

Instead they got the grandfather version, who would make excuses for his star players. It's a shame how it all played out in the World Series flops, the better TEAM won, twice....

Grandfather version?

They have the just opposite of Leyland; an inexperienced & wimpy non-leader who is afraid of his own shadow, Assmus ran this talented team right into the ground & should have been let go with Dombrowski....so much for the going w/different direction?

BTW: thanks for posting an excellent clip!!!!!

Great leader & words of wisdom;

Last edited by Smirnoff; August-25-15 at 09:13 AM.

This is always a classic...........Name:  ausmus-ladies-man.jpg
Views: 1039
Size:  70.3 KB

Ron Gardenhire is available. That's who I would target.

Quote Originally Posted by Smirnoff View Post
    Grandfather version?

They have the just opposite of Leyland; an inexperienced & wimpy non-leader who is afraid of his own shadow, Assmus ran this talented team right into the ground & should have been let go with Dombrowski....so much for the going w/different direction?

BTW: thanks for posting an excellent clip!!!!!
    I worded that post kind of funky. I was trying to say the Tigers never really got a hard nosed in their run over the last 10 years, that includes Leyland. I was refering to the Leyland that coached the Tigers as the grandpa version compared to those Pirates days. Ausmus speaks for himself, and obviously not well as your clip demonstrates.lol

My brother and I will watch that clip of Jim chewing out Barry every once in awhile and crack up.

Here is an all time classic, Earl Weaver[[Orioles former manager) and the team broadcaster made a mock interview that ended up being recorded. It is hilarious, the guy had to be friggn riot back then. It's vulgar, but really funny. As far as I know it didn't surface until years after it was recorded in the 60's.

As of today, currently in last place, lost the last 5 games, 18 GB the Royals, is this the "new" direction [[sinking to the AL Central bottom)? Maybe mgt misplaced the pink slips.....???

I don't know about the skipper or the pitching coach being back next year, but Lynn Henning has a very nice article on Tigers' pitching.

Looks like JV, Sanchez, [[probably) Norris and two FAs [[unless Greene finds his stuff again). I assume Simon, a FA, is gone.

Two rookies, Boyd and Fulmer, will be in triple A awaiting seasoning and one could be on the big league roster next year, with the other in 2017.

http://www.detroitnews.com/story/opi...sits/32363807/

Bullpen????????????????????????????????????

Maybe, but it's easier to change a manager than it is the whole team. I don't know if changing the manager is as important as changing upper management. The manager can only work with the material he has, it's up to the upper management to give him some talent to work with.

Quote Originally Posted by douglasm View Post
    Maybe, but it's easier to change a manager than it is the whole team. I don't know if changing the manager is as important as changing upper management. The manager can only work with the material he has, it's up to the upper management to give him some talent to work with.
    No doubt problems with the 'pen and that is on Dombrowski.

As far as starting pitching, free agency can make good management look bad if it is about who has the most money. Scherzer followed the dollar signs. Price apparently wants to be with a warm weather NL team [[certainly doesn't sound like Detroit). Not much Dombrowski could have done. Baseball [[football, basketball, etc.) are what they are...

Dombrowski is responsible for the bullpen mess but not because he should have acquired different pitchers from other teams. Whether it's free agents or through trade, acquiring veteran relief pitchers from other teams is strictly a crapshoot. All of the good teams have 2-3 young guns throwing 95+ that came through their own system. The Tigers have not developed their own bullpen and that's not going to change next year. This is why the Avila hiring puzzles me. He's supposed to be the draft/development guy along with David Chadd and all the others Avila brought back with extensions/promotions as soon as he got the job.

Danny for interim manager! At least post-game press conferences would be interesting!

Quote Originally Posted by KJ5 View Post
    Danny for interim manager! At least post-game press conferences would be interesting!
    i could get on board with that. Some great sound bytes no doubt!

All jokes aside, you gotta love Danny. I've said it before, his post are the only ones I could identify without seeing a screen name. Do your thing Danny!

The Tigers may be losers, But Verlander is our winner.

Way to go Verlander. Almost got them.

Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post

I couldn't have said it better myself. No, I'm not posting as Danny.

BTW, someone in another thread said JV was washed up. He was hitting 97 MPH and that is very close to his speed during his initial years in Detroit.

Is Kate in town? Just curious. Lol.

Quote Originally Posted by emu steve View Post

BTW, someone in another thread said JV was washed up. He was hitting 97 MPH and that is very close to his speed during his initial years in Detroit.

That person would be me, that said he looked done, but I have to admit, he looked like the JV we are accustomed to seeing tonight. Question is, will it continue?

Quote Originally Posted by Cincinnati_Kid View Post
    That person would be me, that said he looked done, but I have to admit, he looked like the JV we are accustomed to seeing tonight. Question is, will it continue?
    I assume you are very happy to admit being wrong.

He has pitched splendid after a tough start this season.

JV has been pitching like DPrice or DPrice has been pitching like JV.

He was hitting 97 MPH last night which is as good as he has thrown the last few years.

That might be as important as a near no-hitter. Missed by this much: ||

Missed by this much: ||
    haha, nice....

Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post

Danny has spoken!

Now my turn to speak:

IF Miggy had not been injured July 3 [[Tigs were +3, I believe), the Tigers would not have traded Price, Cespedes, and Soriano. A healthy Miggy and JV = a strong 2nd half even with pitching problems.

Think of what we got from Miggy and JV in early / mid-July: Miggy was injured and JV struggled coming back from injury.

Initial years: 102 MPH......not close.

Now my turn to speak:

IF Miggy had not been injured July 3 [[Tigs were +3, I believe), the Tigers would not have traded Price, Cespedes, and Soriano. A healthy Miggy and JV = a strong 2nd half even with pitching problems.

Think of what we got from Miggy and JV in early / mid-July: Miggy was injured and JV struggled coming back from injury.
    Thats kind of hard to say steve, they weren't exactly lighting the world on fire prior to the Cabrera injury. VMart has had an injury riddled year, Greene was likely injured most of the season, Sanchez might have been injured for awhile as well.

If JV had pitched well all season we would still have Price, Ces, and Soria.Their bats are way to streaky anyways. This team has always refused to be clutch on offense. Same script, different channel. Its driven me nuts for years, especially considering they have the talent. I used to blame McClendon for their woes, guess I was wrong...

As for the Price and Cespedes trades, does it matter anymore? If they want those guys back they can make offers. I personally wouldn't want the Tigers paying 30 million a year to Price, or 15-20 a year for Cespedes. Thats 45- 50 million annually. Payroll was 160 million this year. Maybe if this team didn't already have huge contracts like Verlander and Miggy, as well as pending free agents to resign like Iggy, and JD in the next few years.
    Last edited by Dbest; August-27-15 at 07:28 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Smirnoff View Post
    Initial years: 102 MPH......not close.
    I don't believe 102. Maybe Zumaya hit 101 but I doubt JV.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast