Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by mtburb View Post
    A rescan using two new antennas bought today at Meijer resulted in locks on 4, 9, 31, 56 and 62, plus a mysterious analog channel 37. Manually changing to digital channels 7 and 41 and moving the antenna slightly resulted in a lock on 2 and 7 respectively as well.

I'm currently experimenting with moving the antennas around a bit more and gaining locks on the rest of the major Detroit stations, but also trying to get locks on the Toledo stations to use as alternatives. If I end up with locks from stations in Lansing, Flint and/or even Cleveland, I'll be surprised.

Here's proof of the mysterious analog 37.
    It must be a virtual channel or an error in your TV/Converter. Channel 37 is not used for any OTA station in the United States and possibly Canada.

I also get 37 saved when I scan.

Has anyone else here managed to have stations out of Chicago wipe out WTVS, WWJ and WDIV last night?

I haven't, but WEWS showed up once again.

And regarding CBET disappearing for some reason, MicrosoftFan, I dunno how that happened. There are no stations in Chicago on real channel 9, but if this situation happened back in the analog days, WGN would most likely be the one that wiped out CBET.
    Last edited by mtburb; October-06-15 at 01:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by gencinjay View Post
    I also get 37 saved when I scan.
    This must be an error. Anyone know of stations on 37 virtual channel? 37 is used for astronomy I read somewhere.

Also, I've traced CBET to some co channel interference with WTOV in Stuebenville Ohio. Northeast Ohio stations seem to be coming in good this week, as I picked up WEWS and WKYC again, Youngstown CBS occasionally wipes out WXYZ, channel 10's [[WOIO)signal strength is higher than normal on my converters' meter, and now this.

Quote Originally Posted by MicrosoftFan View Post
    Also, I've traced CBET to some co channel interference with WTOV in Stuebenville Ohio. Northeast Ohio stations seem to be coming in good this week, as I picked up WEWS and WKYC again, Youngstown CBS occasionally wipes out WXYZ, channel 10's [[WOIO)signal strength is higher than normal on my converters' meter, and now this.
    Gotta agree on you. Last night, before I went to bed, I had my primary TV still tuned to Buzzr on 2.3, but when I went back down this morning after waking up and turning that TV back on for some reason it advanced to WKYC's weather channel-and I was surprised when it showed up with a perfect signal.

Strangely enough, WEWS ain't coming in here, yet WKYC is.

Well, in an unusual occurrence for late October, there's again an opening somewhere between here and northeast Ohio. WEWS is currently coming in, but with a signal that's breaking up. I won't be watching Linus wait for the Great Pumpkin on there later tonight, though...already got that DVD.

I heard that the NBC station in Chicago uses the same real channel as WGTE, so I may try that in a few and possibly even break my record.

Question: have there been any new OTA stations signing on in the country since the NTSC-ATSC transition? It seems a rash of independent stations developed between 1965-1975 and then 1983-1989.

Last I heard, all available channels In the Detroit area were allocated when WADL was put online. [[While there are many empty channels, there are many restriction on neighboring channels and city to city interference.) That was in 89, way back before the transition to digital. I don't think they opened up any new channels allocations in Detroit in the transition.

Well, if you count this, earlier this decade WHNE relocated from Flint to take over WKBD's former analog position. What's odd about WHNE is that they just show downtown Detroit on their main subchannel, but their other subchannels still show programming, including the unusually-very-low-in-volume Retro TV on 14.2.

In the beginning, we were only assigned four VHF channels-the other three possible ones were awarded to Toledo and either Cleveland or Lansing, dunno which one specifically.
    Last edited by mtburb; October-21-15 at 06:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ndavies View Post
    Last I heard, all available channels In the Detroit area were allocated when WADL was put online. [[While there are many empty channels, there are many restriction on neighboring channels and city to city interference.) That was in 89, way back before the transition to digital. I don't think they opened up any new channels allocations in Detroit in the transition.
    I was referring to the whole country, not just the Detroit area. I think there's an independent in Central-East Florida that signed on in 2001.

Well, managed to pull in a snow-filled black-and-white picture from that CTV station out of Sarnia that's purposely aimed away from Detroit tonight.

It's only the first day of November and already and in a rare occurrence Northeast Ohio stations are making their way here. I managed to receive picture and sound on WEWS and if I tune to real channel 17 the channel display disappears and the "no signal" appears a few seconds later, indicating that WKYC is trying to do the same thing.

November, so far, has been incredibly strange for me, I just snagged my fifth Cleveland market station [[WBNX) and briefly received a picture from WHTV.

I also managed to pull in split-second signals [[but not enough for PSIP) from WTOL and WTVG earlier today.

Quote Originally Posted by RaumVogel View Post
    Yea,ours had a huge dial and made this grinding noise when you changed the direction to let you know that the antenna was turning.I loved it as a 5 year old and my dad let me be the official TV tuner guy because I'd get the channel so clear.
    Growing up in South Jersey, we never needed a rotating antenna to receive all of the Philly channels. My aunt and uncle, however, lived near Harrisburg, PA, where there was one network station covering Harrisburg and Lancaster. Everything else was from Baltimore or Philly, and they needed a power antenna to get these stations. I remember the grinding noise from when my uncle would tune in the station to get a Phillies or Orioles game.

This is somewhat strange for me. Snow is on the ground, temperatures are around freezing and yet I still for one moment managed to recognized the signal from WEWS, yet no picture at all.

Quote Originally Posted by mtburb View Post
    This is somewhat strange for me. Snow is on the ground, temperatures are around freezing and yet I still for one moment managed to recognized the signal from WEWS, yet no picture at all.
    Not much here in Downriver except WGTE is coming in stronger than normal. And WJBK 2-4 addition of Heroes and Icons.

Quote Originally Posted by MicrosoftFan View Post
    Not much here in Downriver except WGTE is coming in stronger than normal. And WJBK 2-4 addition of Heroes and Icons.
    As well as the addition of this new network called Comet on WNWO 24.3 back about a month ago.

A few nights ago I was getting a brief signal recognition on RF 24 and the next morning I traced it to WJET [[ABC) out of Erie, Pennsylvania. Well, that's a new record for me!

Well if it makes any of you Detroiters feel better I live in Idaho we get 3 [[with 1 sub channel), 6[[with 1 sub), 8 [[with 3 subs one is Spanish the other is just their news recycled 24/7), and 10 [[with subs it's our PBS affiliate).

"08cowwife"?

Time to add a new state and new distance record to the list. WANE Fort Wayne, Indiana just popped up a few minutes ago in Wyandotte.

My signals [[channel options) seem to have degraded even with my antenna touching the ceiling. Maybe time for a new converter box. Though I watch alot of streaming tv thru a TV web box...

Tried out a new location-in a closet upstairs. I now get a stable signal from WTOL, brief hints of WCMZ and WTVG and I even managed to briefly get WSYX Columbus a couple nights ago.

Is there a resource or place I can go to learn about this? I am interested in ditching cable and using antenna as a cost saving measure? Additionally, is HD available in this medium? It sounds pretty complicated to me?

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    My signals [[channel options) seem to have degraded even with my antenna touching the ceiling. Maybe time for a new converter box. Though I watch alot of streaming tv thru a TV web box...
    Good Morning Zacha341, The problem might be your antenna is touching the ceiling. Depending what's above you, if the antenna isn't @ window center, walls, ceilings, cupboards, etc., might be obstructing the signal from reaching your antenna. Try moving the antenna near window center and see if that helps or hinders.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast