Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Quote Originally Posted by Bill07073 View Post
    Is there a resource or place I can go to learn about this? I am interested in ditching cable and using antenna as a cost saving measure? Additionally, is HD available in this medium? It sounds pretty complicated to me?
    Actually, It's very simple. All you have to do is plug an antenna into your HDTV. Move the antenna until you get the most number of channels.

You'll get TV the old fashion way. Over the Air. And yes the signals are digital with HDTV available.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill07073 View Post
    Is there a resource or place I can go to learn about this? I am interested in ditching cable and using antenna as a cost saving measure? Additionally, is HD available in this medium? It sounds pretty complicated to me?
    Here's just one of many resources: DTV Reception Maps

It is interesting to compare Me TV on WDIV 4.3 and WTOL 11.2. Most notably at 8 PM, we here see The Andy Griffith Show while Toledo viewers will see Gilligan's Island in the same timeslot.

How to Choose the Best Over-the-Air Antenna for Free HDTV

http://lifehacker.com/how-to-choose-the-best-over-the-air-antenna-for-free-hd-1569752514#_ga=1.237310592.16324088.1461898338

"Bump"

So I've become dissatisfied with my Winegard Antenna. It is not performing the way it used to. On that original post from almost 2 years ago, I can only reliably get 4, 31, and 50. Even WXYZ is dropping [[odd, considering I have picked up the station by sticking a coaxial cable in a Coke can before), and 56 and 20 are MIA. I've decided to finally make the jump to an outdoor antenna.

My channel wish list-
    The Major Detroit stations- 2,4,7,20,31,50,56,62
    Canada- 9,32,22,26
    Toledo- 11,13,24,36
    The Independents- 18,38,14,23

The ones I'm having the hardest time with are Canada. 22 is Global which I watch for Canadian news- it broadcasts out of Leamington, 40 MI away. AntennaWeb and TVFool are pessimistic on picking up this channel even as I would expect some Tropo Boost over the Detroit River. 26 is City I believe [[ or maybe CTV) and this broadcasts out of Downtown Windsor, yet somehow is turned away from the US side? A TVFool scan on downtown Detroit said you would need a large outdoor antenna to pick up a channel just across the river.

In addition, which Detroit independent stations broadcast out of Downtown? I remember one being on the RenCen and another on Cadillac, but cannot remember who broadcasts from which.

Anyway, looking for advice on what would be a good antenna to pick up these channels. Seeking advice from my fellow cord cutters and those who participated in this thread in the past. [[I'm looking at you, mtburb)

Quote Originally Posted by MicrosoftFan View Post
    My channel wish list-
    The Major Detroit stations- 2,4,7,20,31,50,56,62
    Canada- 9,32,22,26
    Toledo- 11,13,24,36
    The Independents- 18,38,14,23
    I picked up most of those at our old house in Warren with an external Antennas Direct antenna similar to this one:
    https://www.antennasdirect.com/store...v-antenna.html

Canada is always going to be a problem, mainly because most of the transmitters are nowhere near Windsor, but quite a bit south and south-east. To get those you are going to need to get your antenna up as high as possible to get over the foliage fade and noise floor. Unless your house is tall to begin with, a standalone tower, or extra-high roof mount might be needed.

A rotator will probably help, too, since most of the Detroit broadcast towers are in the opposite direction of the Canadian towers for most people.

Quote Originally Posted by JBMcB View Post
    I picked up most of those at our old house in Warren with an external Antennas Direct antenna similar to this one:
    https://www.antennasdirect.com/store...v-antenna.html

Canada is always going to be a problem, mainly because most of the transmitters are nowhere near Windsor, but quite a bit south and south-east. To get those you are going to need to get your antenna up as high as possible to get over the foliage fade and noise floor. Unless your house is tall to begin with, a standalone tower, or extra-high roof mount might be needed.

A rotator will probably help, too, since most of the Detroit broadcast towers are in the opposite direction of the Canadian towers for most people.
    I've been thinking about that antenna, but I am concerned about direction. The three directions that I am trying to get channels from won't fly with a directional, and a rotator is out of my price range at this point. My current antenna as I have heard is an omni directional [[it is a Winegard paper-thin indoor antenna, 360 degrees), and this antenna is multi directional [[can receive channels in a 180 degree range). Is it possible to view channels from North [[Detroit) while pointed East? [[Canada)

I have a cheap RCA antenna facing Canada. I think some of what you get depends on your converter built into your tv [[as with most flat screens) or as a stand alone unit [[for tubed tv). I've used both as I don't do cable.

But my flat screen converter gets more channels without re-scanning or moving the antenna too much. I now get the channel Decades, COSI, MeTV, ION and other channels I did not get otherwise. I have one of my antenna touching the ceiling. It seems to need to do that to get most channels.

I don't get any Canadian channels but I get three PBS stations 56-1, 2 etc.
    Last edited by Zacha341; August-21-17 at 09:07 PM.

It seems like height matters above all else.

Does anybody still watch Shamwow media?

Since the last time I've posted in this thread, I seem to have developed a short list of regulars or near-regulars that have shown up on my current antenna setup.

Detroit: 2, 4, 7, 14, 18, 19, 20, 23, 31, 50, 56, 62
    Canadian: 9, 32, analog 42
    Toledo: 11, 13, 24, 30
    Cleveland: 3, 5
    Flint: 5, 25, 28, 66

Yeah, I have had two different PSIP channel 5s pop up recently. Also, back in January I even managed to pick up Pittsburgh channel 2 with this antenna for three days.

Quote Originally Posted by mtburb View Post
    Since the last time I've posted in this thread, I seem to have developed a short list of regulars or near-regulars that have shown up on my current antenna setup.

Detroit: 2, 4, 7, 14, 18, 19, 20, 23, 31, 50, 56, 62
    Canadian: 9, 32, analog 42
    Toledo: 11, 13, 24, 30
    Cleveland: 3, 5
    Flint: 5, 25, 28, 66

Yeah, I have had two different PSIP channel 5s pop up recently. Also, back in January I even managed to pick up Pittsburgh channel 2 with this antenna for three days.
    Antenna Model/Location?

I wish I could get Canada...

I use a Phillips SDV2210/17 Indoor Antenna Vhf Uhf HDTV Fm model. It's compact, with long antenna, facing south east.

Quote Originally Posted by honky tonk View Post
    or the thrill of that first lightning strike?
    lololololol

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4