Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Towering span over Rouge River is falling apart as state crosses fingers

My parents refuse to drive over this thing, it's astonishing to see how damaged the bridge is, and how helpless the state seems when it comes to fixing it.

http://motorcitymuckraker.com/2015/0...osses-fingers/

I-75’s Rouge River Bridge. Photos by Mark Hall.
    Chunks of concrete and reinforced steel bars are scattered below I-75’s towering Rouge River Bridge.
    On some days, light pokes through holes on the long-neglected span, which is used by 115,000 vehicles a day and rises 103 feet above the Rouge. The soaring concrete columns are cracked, and portions are breaking apart.
    The concrete columns are cracked and shedding. Photos by Mark Hall.
    Although state and federal officials concluded earlier this year that the bridge is “structurally deficient” and in need of critical repair, the 48-year-old span remains open and won’t be fixed for at least two more years, according to the Michigan Department of Transportation [[MDOT).
    Last week, a gaping, 4-foot hole opened up on the bridge, exposing the reinforced steel bars, some of which snapped off and fell to the ground. Beneath the deteriorating span, crews patched up the widening hole with thin wood boards.
    “It scares the hell out of me,” said Jordan Collins, who drives to work from Detroit to Downriver every weekday. “The worst part is getting stuck in traffic [[because of an accident) and seeing how far from the ground you are.”
    Rouge River Bridge via Bing Maps.
    The state has known since at least 2011 that the 1.6-mile bridge was in critical need of repair. An inspection that year warned the bridge was “structurally deficient.”
    Road officials acknowledge the hazards but insist the bridge is safe – for now – and that no funding is immediately available for structural repairs. The state expects to spend $80 million to replace the deck. A new span would cost $300 million, according to MDOT.
    MDOT records show the state has spent about $2 million a year on repairs in the past two decades. At least four large holes have opened on the road so far this year.
    A close look by photographer Mark Hall uncovered alarming evidence of deterioration. The concrete columns are cracked and shedding. Steel rods designed to reinforce the bridge are rusted and littered on the ground below, where concrete chunks also have fallen.
    Wood boards cover up a massive hole that opened on the span. Photo by Mark Hall.

Steel rods and concrete show the level of deterioration. Photo by Mark Hall.

Steel rods designed to reinforce the concrete are scattered below the bridge. Photo by Mark Hall.

Debris is scattered below the bridge. Photo by Mark Hall.

horrible. This and other bridges need fixing. I hope it doesn't take a fatality to spur the legislature to finally greenlight major repairs.

The damage looks bad, but most of it appears to be to a few columns and decking, not structural spans. Still no excuse to defer maintenance and further.

I'm not too worried about superficial damage. Cracking concrete can be found on just about any bridge anywhere. The exposed rebar and holes however are structural problems. $80M for a new deck would only go a long way if the supports and superstructure are good. $300M for a new bridge seems like a lot to swallow, but considering how critical that span is, it might be necessary. Wouldn't want to see bubblegum repairs on this thing until we have a collapse during rush hour.

I say rebuild it and design it as a larger version of the pedestrian bridge over the Fisher at Bagley. It's such an impressive entrance into the city, give it a good looking bridge. I can dream, right?

Make it higher, with big, rusty trellises, like that one leading into Chicago. That one is scary, but it lets you know you are approaching a big city.

Quote Originally Posted by 1953 View Post
    Make it higher, with big, rusty trellises, like that one leading into Chicago. That one is scary, but it lets you know you are approaching a big city.
    Do you mean the Chicago skyway? It's been completely rebuilt and I used it 2 weeks ago. Definitely not rusty these days.

Quote Originally Posted by 1953 View Post
    I got a view of that on the train from Chicago to Detroit. I must say, the sight didn't instill me with a lot of confidence!

The skyway is practically a modern span. It was rebuilt 10 years ago As common with many of the elaborate steel bridges in Chicago, they undergo near total reconstruction and structural steel is swapped out and replaced in phases. All the bridge support piers are new. The bridge sat on temporary structures while new piers were built.

Or just reconstruct it into two separate spans like the new I-90 bridges leading into Cleveland.

Soon that I-75 Rouge River Bridge is going to fall soon. It's reaching near dangerous level 3 collapse alert! Potholes are growing. It's pillars crumbling. So much for cheap concrete repairs. While our legislatures in Rome [[I mean Lansing) can't compromise on simple road budget plan. They rather get the one of their legislators out of the office for their text sex scandals.

I hope you remember this incident many years ago: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s3XosAUYyQg

When the bridge collapse between Minneapolis and St. Paul killing few people [[ I was over that bridge years with my friend ago.) Minnesotans rally holding recall signs and call them murders and and abuse their government power for their special interests.

Top 10 Most Traveled Structurally Deficient Bridges in the State:
    County Year
    Built
    Daily
    Crossings Type of Bridge Location
    Wayne 1954 146,000 Urban minor
    arterial Second Avenue over I-94
    Wayne 1967 100,492 Urban Interstate I-75 over Fort Street
    Wayne 1967 100,492 Urban Interstate I-75 over the Rouge River, Dearborn Street and Railroad
    Genesee 1971 95,314 Urban Interstate I-69 over M-54 [[Dort Highway)
    Macomb 1994 87,420 Urban other
    principal arterial M-59 WB over M-53
    Oakland 1963 78,894 Urban Interstate I-75 SB over 14 Mile Road
    Oakland 1963 78,894 Urban Interstate I-75 NB over 13 Mile Road
    Oakland 1963 78,894 Urban Interstate I-75 NB over 14 Mile Road
    Oakland 1963 78,894 Urban Interstate I-75 SB over 13 Mile Road
    Oakland 1964 65,985 Urban Interstate I-75 SB over M-150 [[Rochester Road)
    Last edited by old guy; August-25-15 at 07:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by old guy View Post
    County Year
    Built
    Daily
    Crossings Type of Bridge Location
    Wayne 1967 100,492 Urban Interstate I-75 over the Rouge River, Dearborn Street and Railroad
    Please allow me to format that for you:

County Year Built Daily Crossings Type of Bridge Location
    Last edited by Jimaz; August-25-15 at 09:24 PM.

Appreciated.

Appreciated.
    Proud to help.

The Macomb item interested me because the very recent Utica Rd./M-59 bridge was under repair for only one day. It was barely mentioned on WWJ. Maybe it wasn't that large of a repair. It was completed very quickly.

Thanks for the data.

Despite billions of dollars in annual federal, state and local funds directed toward the maintenance of existing bridges, 68,842 bridges – representing more than 11 percent of total highway bridges in the U.S. – are classified as “structurally deficient,” according to the Federal Highway Administration [[FHWA). Structurally deficient bridges require significant maintenance, rehabilitation or replacement. A number of bridges also exceed their expected lifespan of 50 years. The average age of an American bridge is42 years.
    The maintenance backlog will only worsen as bridges age and costs rise. According to FHWA’s 2009 statistics, $70.9 billion is needed to address the current backlog of deficient bridges. This figure will likely increase as many of our most heavily traveled bridges — including those built more than 40 years ago as part of the Interstate System — near the end of their expected lifespan.
    Transportation For America – The State of Our Bridges

That's a lot of dough especially when you consider all the other major infrastructure problems around the country. I hate to think about it, but I have a feeling that we're going to begin to see more bridge failures in the coming years.

That photo of the plywood or whatever on the bridge is something I've never seen before.

I'm ^not clear where that is. There is no 2nd Ave. over 1-94 unless Cass counts as 2nd.

That photo of the plywood or whatever on the bridge is something I've never seen before.
    The ARTBA list for Michigan isn't quite right. The 2nd Ave bridge over I-94 does not carry 146,000 cars per day. Sure, 146,000 cars may go under the bridge. But, if you were to count traffic that way, the list would only include bridges on or over I-94, I-75, or I-696.
    http://www.artba.org/wp-content/uplo...ge-Profile.pdf

Plywood under bridge decking or false decking [[or unofficially 'bridge diapers') is not the best solution to the problem, but a band aid to keep debris off of the roadway.
    https://www.google.com/maps/@42.3864...7i13312!8i6656

Quote Originally Posted by Lowell View Post

I'm ^not clear where that is. There is no 2nd Ave. over 1-94 unless Cass counts as 2nd.

https://goo.gl/maps/l23yU

I was under that bridge in April. Besides the crumbling going on everywhere I thought about how lonely and unguarded it was making seem like an easy target. Then I thought, "Why would a terrorist attack it? Just let it fall down on its own." Hopefully it is surveilled.

This one is getting replaced right now.

Perhaps someone's memory is better than mine, but as I remember it, wasn't there a bunch of reconstruction of this bridge in the late 80s or early 90s?

Quote Originally Posted by jackie5275 View Post
    Perhaps someone's memory is better than mine, but as I remember it, wasn't there a bunch of reconstruction of this bridge in the late 80s or early 90s?
    I think there have been regular 'rebuilds'. The most recent more like early 2000s. But my recollections are foggy. They were closing down one half at a time then.

After the Minneapolis collapse, I have to think that MDOT has assessed the bridge. It was built in the 60s. It is over navigable waters, so its highly regulated as to height. Combining height, age, traffic count -- I should think it would be the #1 thing for them to be monitoring. Is there another span that even comes close to that combination of old age, high traffic, and height/size?

Name:  2015-08-26_15-22-58.jpg
Views: 785
Size:  96.2 KB
    Right here.

Sorry, yes of course, I should have looked ^that up. My main interest was how it could be number 1. I find it difficult to believe that bridge has 146,000 crossings, or even a 10th of that number. It is only lightly used and hardly at all on weekends and when WSU is not in class. In fact I question if that many even pass under it. Am I missing something?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast