Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Mabley Bldg cornice and pediment restoration

Over the last several weeks work on the exterior of the Mabley and Co. buildings [[620-630 Woodward Ave) has been started with the restoration of the pediments and cornice detail, removed in 1918 to streamline the building. Here is a photo of the building as it looked as the Metropole Hotel after the Mabley store moved north to the Majestic Building [[originally called the Mabley Bldg).

Friday the new cornice and its embellishments appeared in crates on Woodward, in front of the buildings. In addition, the original entrance as viewed in the attachment is also being restored. Thanks to Historic Detroit.org for their original postings of the historic photos.
    Name:  mabley postcard.jpg
Views: 3100
Size:  87.5 KB
    Name:  mabley store bldg.jpg
Views: 3078
Size:  58.4 KB
    Last edited by detroitbob; August-23-15 at 03:19 AM.

That is pretty awesome. I noticed that Gilbert is doing the same for the two small buildings that he is working on in Grand Circus. Im hoping the GSTV building will get the same treatment. It might be a long shot, but I would love to see the First National Building get it's cornice put back on. I imagine that would cost a pretty penny though.

Thanks for the news. Those buildings always did look kind of bland and butchered. The original detail is fantastic. and it is also great the the original entrance will be brought back.

That will really give that strip a lot more character. I used to work in the First National years ago, but I never really thought how that strip had indeed been butchered.

Does anyone know if they're going to repaint the brown façade?
    Last edited by hybridy; August-24-15 at 11:30 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by detroitbob View Post
    Over the last several weeks work on the exterior of the Mabley and Co. buildings [[620-630 Woodward Ave) has been started with the restoration of the pediments and cornice detail, removed in 1918 to streamline the building. Here is a photo of the building as it looked as the Metropole Hotel after the Mabley store moved north to the Majestic Building [[originally called the Mabley Bldg).

Friday the new cornice and its embellishments appeared in crates on Woodward, in front of the buildings. In addition, the original entrance as viewed in the attachment is also being restored. Thanks to Historic Detroit.org for their original postings of the historic photos.
    Name:  mabley postcard.jpg
Views: 3100
Size:  87.5 KB
    Name:  mabley store bldg.jpg
Views: 3078
Size:  58.4 KB
    Here are some photos I took this afternoon.
    Attached Images Attached Images      

This is great! I hate it when buildings are neutered to the point that they could have been built yesterday in any city:
    "Where the hell am I? Seattle? Houston? Phoenix? They all look the same!"
    Imagine driving down the street to see visually unique, interesting and vibrant architecture along the way.
    "Ah, yes, now this is Detroit! I'd know it anywhere!"

Thanks for posting these updated pix...I drove by tonite at sunset and saw the progress but it had no opportunity to stop and look closely.

Keep the pics coming for those of us that don't make it downtown often. I am loving this restoration.

Absolutely outstanding. I always thought these buildings added a lot of texture as it was, and served as a great testament to what all of lower downtown looked like in the 19th century. This makes it even better. Kudos.

Quote Originally Posted by gumby View Post
    Keep the pics coming for those of us that don't make it downtown often. I am loving this restoration.
    I will try to take some more pictures tomorrow at lunch. If I can't I will definitely take them on Friday.

Thanks for posting these updated pix...I drove by tonite at sunset and saw the progress but it had no opportunity to stop and look closely.
    Here are the pictures as promised. I took these around 4pm.
    Name:  20150826_162116.jpg
Views: 2195
Size:  84.5 KBName:  20150826_162104.jpg
Views: 2290
Size:  83.6 KBName:  20150826_162044.jpg
Views: 2231
Size:  81.3 KBName:  20150826_162036.jpg
Views: 2234
Size:  77.1 KBName:  20150826_161905.jpg
Views: 2288
Size:  99.1 KBName:  20150826_161745.jpg
Views: 2238
Size:  87.0 KB

I apologize that some of them loaded sideways. I can't figureout how to fix it because then I view them off the site they are rotated correctly

Quote Originally Posted by Detroit View Post
    I apologize that some of them loaded sideways. I can't figureout how to fix it because then I view them off the site they are rotated correctly
    Looking great. Thanks again for uploading these. No apology needed, you can upload them upside down for all I care as long as I get to see the progress. Lol.

Maybe they should dirty them up a bit because they stick out like a sore thumb all clean and pristine like that. lol.

Maybe they should dirty them up a bit because they stick out like a sore thumb all clean and pristine like that. lol.

i guarantee you they paint them haha. No chance they stay like that

They doing window hoods too? [[be still my beating heart)

The actual windows were replaced during the 80's redo of the building. Not sure if the window surround detail will be replaced. But what I've seen to date it simply WOW...

Looking great. Thanks again for uploading these. No apology needed, you can upload them upside down for all I care as long as I get to see the progress. Lol.
    Here are two from today. Not much progress but a little more is up now.
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Looks like they are deviating from the original details but it still will be nice. Cant wait to see what it looks like with some paint and the gaps filled.

Its looking very close original design...it's a giant series of puzzle parts at this point. There are some very interesting detail points that were in crates now I believed inside for safe keeping until they are ready for mounting. the main pediment should go up this week and by looking close up at the parts laid out on the Woodward sidewalk it looks good.

Its looking very close original design...it's a giant series of puzzle parts at this point. There are some very interesting detail points that were in crates now I believed inside for safe keeping until they are ready for mounting. the main pediment should go up this week and by looking close up at the parts laid out on the Woodward sidewalk it looks good.
    I'm anxious to see what progress has been made since the last pictures I posted. Last Friday there were wasn't any change. I'll he back in the office tomorrow so I plan on checking it out. I'll post more pictures of the progress.

They've extended the bottom row of the cornice to the middle of the peak. That happened yesterday or early this morning. I don't seem to look at it when I am leaving work. [[ I suppose the race to my car may have something to do with it )

I sort of feel bad for saying this but I kind of like it better without it at this point... maybe it's just because I'm so used to it without. I'm sure it will look great when completed.

Also looks like they are doing something around the windows....

Name:  20150902_160956.jpg
Views: 1693
Size:  111.9 KBName:  20150902_160948_001.jpg
Views: 1665
Size:  99.1 KBName:  20150902_160927.jpg
Views: 1709
Size:  110.8 KBName:  20150902_161110.jpg
Views: 1634
Size:  91.7 KB

Is it vinyl? I wonder if they're using 3D printers.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast